Currently, Afghanistan citizens hold the worst-ranked passport with visa-free access, eVisa, or visa on arrival to only a few countries. At the same time, foreign embassies are currently closed in Afghanistan, making it challenging to apply for most foreign visas.
Where Can Afghans Travel to Without a Visa?
If you have an Afghan passport, then you can enter the following countries visa-free:
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
When you enter a country that does not require a visa, you still need to prepare the following documents:
- Passport. Your passport must be valid for at least six months after your arrival date and must have two blank pages.
- Proof of return ticket home. You must prove that you have purchased a return flight ticket to show that you do not plan to overstay your visa-free travel.
- Health insurance. You need to prove that you have purchased valid travel health insurance to cover your trip and any upcoming medical emergencies.
eVisa Countries for Afghan Citizens
The following countries will allow you to apply for an eVisa with an Afghan passport:
|Antigua and Barbuda||90 days|
|Ethiopia||up to 90 days|
|Gabon||up to 6 months|
|Kyrgyzstan||up to 90 days|
|Saint Kitts and Nevis||up to 90 days|
|Sao Tome and Principe||30 days|
|South Sudan||up to 6 months|
To apply for an eVisa, you need to find the official website of the embassy/consulate of your destination country. Usually, embassies/consulates post the link for online applications. From there, you will need to prepare your passport to enter your details and credit card to process the visa payment.
Then, after your visa is processed, you will receive a confirmation email along with a document you must print and bring with you when entering an eVisa country.
Countries Where Afghan Citizens Can Get a Visa on Arrival
If you are an Afghan citizen, you can get a visa on arrival for the following countries:
|Cape Verde||3 months|
You will receive a visa on arrival (VOA) after entering the country that issues such visas— make sure you check in which airport you can receive a visa on arrival since not all airports are equipped with issuing VOAs.
Here is a list of documents you need to prepare when you want to apply for a visa on arrival:
- Passport plus a copy of your passport.
- Visa on arrival application form (received at the airport).
- Paid visa fee (paid at the airport).*
- Identity photographs.
- Evidence of hotel reservation or other accommodation.
- Travel health insurance.
- Proof of booked ticket to return home.
*Please note that you may be required to pay the fee with the local currency exchange.
Visa Requirements for Afghan Citizens
You must have a valid visa to enter the countries listed below with an Afghan passport:
|Austria||Honduras||Papua New Guinea|
|Belarus||Iran||Republic of the Congo|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||Jamaica||Saudi Arabia|
|Central African Republic||Liberia||Sri Lanka|
|Czech Republic||Marshall Islands||Tonga|
|Democratic Republic of the Congo||Mauritius||Trinidad and Tobago|
|El Salvador||Montenegro||United Arab Emirates|
|Equatorial Guinea||Morocco||United Kingdom|
To apply for a visa, follow these instructions:
- Make an appointment at the visa application center. You have to find an official representative of your destination country and make an appointment for the visa interview. Your destination country may be represented by a consulate or an embassy, or another authorized representative.
- Assemble the required documents. After making the visa appointment, you have to prepare the following documents:
- Visa application form
- Travel itinerary
- Evidence you have secured a place to stay
- Valid travel health insurance
- Letter of invitation (if applicable)
- Evidence of your return ticket.
- Proof that you have sufficient funds to cover your visit
- Civil status documents (marriage papers, certificates of birth, etc.)
- Submit your application. Once you translate your documents as required by the embassy or consulate and verify them with an apostille stamp— if possible, then you can submit your application. From then it will take several weeks until a decision is made regarding your visa application.
Important: Please note that your visa will most likely be rejected if you have a previous criminal history.
*Please note that this is the information based on the passport issued by the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. The Taliban has announced new passports in the following years and visa-free countries are liable to change.