If you are an Indian citizen who has an expired visa issued by the United States, then you can apply US visa renewal in India.
Do I Qualify for US Visa Renewal in India?
To qualify for a US visa renewal as an Indian citizen, you must make sure you fulfill the following criteria:
- You are applying for the same type of US visa you had in the past. For example, if you had a tourist visa, you have to apply for a tourist visa renewal.
- Your current visa has already expired.
- You do not have a recently rejected US visa application.
- You still fulfill the requirements for the type of US visa you wish to renew.
- You are applying for a US visa renewal in India. You cannot renew a US visa from within the US.
What Documents Do I Need for a Visa Renewal in India?
When you apply for a visa renewal, you have to submit the same or similar documents as you did when you first applied. This includes:
- Your passport, which has to be valid for at least another six months from the time you plan to leave the US.
- Previous passports which have old US visas in them.
- Two passport-size pictures, which meet the US visa photo requirements.
- The printout of Form DS-160 confirmation page.
- Proof you paid the US visa fee (the receipt).
- Any other documents based on the US visa you want to renew.
If you have to submit any additional documents, then you must do so at any of the document drop-off locations around India.
How to Renew My US Visa in India?
You have to renew your US visa in a similar manner as when you first obtained it. When applying from India, there are four main steps:
- Complete the visa application form and schedule your appointments online.
- Pay the visa fee.
- Apply at a visa application centre.
- Appear at the US Embassy or Consulate for your visa interview.
Completing the US Visa Application Form (DS-160)
When starting the process of renewing your US visa in India, you have to log in to your account on the official US visa information website and complete the DS-160 application form here. You can also choose to use the services of a company that’s specialized in helping out people with their US visa applications, such as VisaExpress.
When you complete the DS-160 form, you should have the following information or documents nearby:
- Your passport.
- Your travel itinerary (if you have already booked your trip).
- The dates of your last five trips in the US. You may also need to submit your entire international travel history in the past 5 years.
- For students and exchange visitors: Your SEVIS ID.
- For petition-based temporary workers: Copy of your I-129.
- For other temporary workers: Information about your employer, such as the address.
If you are unsure or hesitant about the process of obtaining your US visa, then we recommend using Travel Assist to help you out.
Scheduling the US Visa Appointment
When you have logged in your account on the US’s online visa application service, you have to schedule two separate appointments:
- One at the Visa Application Center
- On with the US Embassy or Consulate
Make sure you schedule the appointment at the Embassy/Consulate at least one day after the VAC appointment.
Paying the US Visa Fee
When you schedule your appointments to renew your US visa, you will see the payment options and details about the visa fee payment on the confirmation screen. US visa fees change depending on the type of visa. When paying a US visa renewal fee in India, you have the following options:
- Through National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT)
- Through Mobile Payments – IMPS
- By Cash – Over the Counter at DRUK Bank, AXIS Bank and Citibank
Once you pay the visa fee, keep the receipt because you will need to present it on your visa appointment.
Submitting the US Visa Renewal Application in India
You have to appear on the date of your scheduled appointment at the Visa Application Center nearest to you. There are VACs in India in Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, and New Delhi. They will take your fingerprints and your picture.
Entering the US Visa Interview
After you submit your US visa renewal application at the VAC, you have to go to the US Embassy/Consulate responsible for your jurisdiction and enter a visa interview. The visa officers will ask you some questions, such as why you want to visit the US or anything else they consider it would help them know you better. The interview doesn’t last long, but you have to make sure you arrive at least 15 minutes before your appointment time to present your appointment letter and passport and go through security clearance. You may also have to wait in line for a bit.
Remember that US Embassies and Consulates in India do not allow you to bring electronics, phones, food, or large bags inside, so make arrangements to leave them elsewhere before you arrive.
The US Embassies and Consulates in India are at the following addresses:
|The US. Embassy in New Delhi
Shanti Path, Chanakya Puri 110021
|The US. Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay)
C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051
Phone: (22) 2672-4000
|The US. Consulate General in Chennai (Madras)
220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006
|The US. Consulate General in Kolkata (Calcutta)
5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071
|The US. Consulate General in Hyderabad
Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500 003
However, when it comes to renewing your US visa, you may be exempt from entering an interview at all.
Renew US Visa in India – No Interview
If you are renewing your US visa in India, you may be eligible for the Interview Waiver. In this case, in order to renew your visa, you simply have to submit the visa renewal application in a designated submission center in India, without having to appear for an interview at the Embassy/Consulate.
The designated visa application drop-off center and the documents you have to submit are mentioned on your visa application form confirmation.
Who is Eligible for US Visa Interview Waiver?
You are eligible for interview waiver for US visa renewal in India if you fulfil the following requirements:
- You have had a previous visa in the same category as the visa you are applying for now (renewing). For example, if you want to renew your US Business Visa (B1) or a US Tourist Visa (B2), then you have to apply for a B1/B2 visa accordingly.
- You were 14 years of age when you received your most recent visa (the one you want to renew)
- Your latest visa was issued in India
- You received the visa you wish to renew after January 1, 2008
- Your previous visa does not say “Clearance Received” or “Department Authorization”.
- The visa you wish to renew was not lost, stolen or cancelled.
- You have not received a visa rejection since your last approved visa
- For renewals of H or L Visa (individual) or R visa: Your previous visa is still valid or it expired within the last 12 months.
- For renewals of US Student Visa (F Visa): You are still a student at the same school for which your visa was issued.
If you are under the age of 14 or over the age of 79, then you are also exempt from appearing at the US Embassy/Consulate for a visa interview, even if you do not fulfil the above-mentioned requirements.
How Long Does It Take to Receive US Visa Renewal in India?
Usually, the US visa officers will let you know about the decision of your US visa renewal application immediately after your interview. If your application needs further administrative inspection, then you have to wait a few more days until a decision is made.
From the time your visa is approved, you have to wait about 3-4 days until you can receive your visa.
When you fill the application, you have to specify a place where you would like to receive your passport with the US visa affixed – that’s where you have to go and get it.