The visa number is the red number printed on the bottom right of the visa document. Usually, the number on a US visa contains eight numeric characters. However, it may begin with one letter followed by seven numeric characters.
The visa number is a random string of numbers. It does not have any meaning to those who hold it because it is randomly generated. It is not different depending on the type of the visa. Your K-1 visa number will not have a different format than a H-1B visa number or a F-1 visa number. They will all be random and there is not a specific pattern you can find.
Location of the US Visa Number
The place or color does not change whether it is a nonimmigrant visa number or an immigrant visa number. The example below shows what a US visa looks like. As you can see, most of the information is in black ink. The number in red ink is the visa number. So if you are being asked to show your visa number, you know that you can find it there.
See the example below to find the number on a US visa:
Besides the visa number, a US visa also has the following information:
- Issuing Port Name – which states the US Embassy that the person got the visa from.
- Person’s Last name.
- Person’s First Name.
- Sex – indicates the gender of the person as F (female) or M (male).
- Passport Number.
- Visa type – indicates the type of visa the person has. The example above is for a K-1 visa, or a fiancé visa.
- Entries – could be marked in the number of times the person is allowed to enter the US or in letters. If you see S (Single Entry) on this section, that means you are only allowed to enter once. The letter M (Multiple Entries) means you can enter the US multiple times.
- Issuing Date – when the visa was issued.
- Expiration Date – when the visa expires and the person cannot enter the US anymore.
- Annotations – these are the notes that the US Embassy writes such as the name of your fiancé, spouse, or employer.
How to Get a US Visa Number?
The US visa number is only given to individuals once they have a visa. So to get a visa number, you must go through the process of applying for a US visa. Depending on which type of visa you want, the application procedures are different. In general, you will have to do the following:
- File an application form to the US Embassy;
- Conduct medical checks;
- Attend a visa interview;
- Submit supporting documents.
If the US Embassy approves your application, they will stamp your passport with the visa. The visa will also have the visa number. The visa number will be valid for a specific period of time if you have a nonimmigrant visa or it will be permanent if you have a Green Card.
Last Updated on