All citizens of Qatar need a visa to enter the United States of America. Qataris are required to obtain visas to travel to the US for both, immigrant and nonimmigrant purposes.
There are only two cases when applicants from Qatar will be exempt from the US visa requirement:
- You are residing in Qatar, but you are a passport holder of one of the countries under the US Visa Waiver Program.
- You hold dual citizenship. Qatari citizenship, and the citizenship of one of the countries under the US Visa Waiver Program.
There are 38 countries under the US Visa Waiver Program. If you are a national of one of the countries under this program, you only need a US Electronic Travel Authorization to enter the country.
US Visa Application Qatar
To apply for a US visa in Qatar you will need to follow a few steps. There are concrete procedures that you will need to complete, as a part of your application process.
The application process for a US visa in Qatar is as follows:
- Check what kind of US visa you need.
- Figure out where you should file your application.
- Fill-in the right online application form.
- Pay the visa application fee.
- Schedule a US visa appointment.
- Get the required documents for a US visa.
- Visit the US Embassy to attend the visa interview.
Check what type of US visa you need
There are several visa types categorized according to the purpose of travel to the US. If you are applying for a US visa in Doha, you should first check the type of visa you need. The whole application process depends on the type of visa you need to obtain, including the required documents.
Note that this article is for those applying for a nonimmigrant visa to US. If you wish to apply for a US immigrant visa in Qatar, you should check our article on “Immigrant Visas to the United States.”
Check where in Qatar you need to apply
All those applying for a US visa from Qatar should submit their applications and attend the interview at the US Embassy in Qatar.
US Embassy in Qatar
- Address: 22nd February Street, Al Luqta District, Doha, Qatar
- Phone: (974) 4496-6000
- Fax: (974) 4488-4298
Complete the online application form
Every US visa applicant, including children, will need to complete an online form. For US nonimmigrant visas you will need to fill out the DS-160 form. The form asks you several questions on your identity and your planned trip to the US. You will also need to upload a picture taken within the last six months.
When you complete the form, it will generate an alphanumeric barcode confirmation page. You need to print it and take it with you on the day of your interview at the embassy.
You can fill the DS-160 form online through:
- the Consular Electronic Application Center, or
- by using the services of a third party company such as TravelAssist.
Why do we advise to apply through TravelAssist?
- TravelAssist’s staff will complete the form DS-160 and book you a US visa appointment with the US Embassy in Qatar.
- They will provide you with a complete list of required documents for applying for a US visa in Qatar. They will also check your documents to make sure you have obtained them correctly.
- The TravelAssist team will offer 24/7 online support to you for your US visa application.
- If your US visa application is successful TravelAssist will get you your visa asap for you.
- If you are not permitted to enter the US despite having a valid visa, they offer Travel Protection that will cover your financial expenses.
- TravelAssist is a specialized company in processing US visa applications. It has helped over 20,000 people enter the United States. They provide end-to-end visa assistance to help you successfully enter the United States.
Pay the US visa application fee & schedule a visa interview
Once you complete your application form, you should then pay the US visa application fee. Qatari residents need to pay the fee at one of the branches of the Commercial Bank of Qatar.
Note that the fee is nonrefundable. You can pay the fee in the Qatari riyal or US dollars.
Schedule a US visa appointment in Qatar
There are two ways to schedule a US visa interview in Doha:
- Through the call center.
- Online through the Official US Department of State Visa Service.
In both cases, you will need the receipt number printed on your bank receipt.
Collect the required documents for a US visa
The US Embassy in Qatar wants you to submit several documents, as a part of your application. Each of these documents should comply with the criteria set by the US authorities.
To apply you will need to obtain the standard requirements and the visa specific documents.
To apply for a US visa in Qatar, you need to submit the following documents:
- Confirmation page of completed DS-160 form.
- Your valid passport. You will need to submit your passport alongside with the other documents. Check if it is valid for at least 6 months beyond your date of planned stay in the US. It must also have at least one blank page.
- A recent US visa photograph. A photo of 5 x 5 cm size, taken in color and within the last 6 months is required. If you have successfully uploaded a photo to the DS-160 application form, then you are not required to submit another.
- Interview appointment confirmation page (if applicable).
- Application fee payment receipt.
- Previous US visas (if applicable).
- Medical confirmation on your health. The letter is required only if you have a medical condition that could have a bearing on your eligibility for a visa.
- Invitation Letter for a US tourist visa. When applying for a US visitor visa then this letter may also be required.
Note that according to the purpose of your trip to the US, you will need to submit extra documents aside these on the list.
Attend the visa interview
The visa interview is compulsory for every US visa applicant in Qatar under the age of 80. Children under the age of 14 should attend the interview with their parents.
A US visa interview in Qatar is crucial for your application. During the interview, the consular officer may take the decision on whether you should be granted with a visa or not.
Once you arrive at the embassy, you will need to submit the required documents at the window. You will receive a token and wait until your name is called for the interview. The interview is a conversation between you and the visa officer. He or she will ask you questions on your intended trip to the US.
In the case of US Visa Denial
If your US visa application in Qatar is rejected, you can still reapply. Make sure you correct the mistakes made in the first application or improve your situation in order to comply with the US visa rules.
You will need to pay the US visa fee again and attend the interview as well.
Last Updated on