How Long Does it Take to Get a Green Card?
It takes 7 to 33 months to process a Green Card application. The Green Card processing time depends on the type of Green Card you are applying for, the location of the processing office and other factors.
- Family Preference Green Cards processing takes from 1 to 10 years depending on the wait time and yearly caps.
- Employment Based Green Cards processing could be from 1 year for visas that have a low demand to 4 or 6 years for visas with very high demand.
Family Based Immigrant Visas Processing Time
There are different family based visas and some of them have yearly caps. Yearly caps mean that for a particular visa, only a few people each year will get it. After reaching the yearly cap, those who have applied that year but did not get the application processing must wait until the next period.
So if one of the family based visas are given to only 1,000 people, if you apply as the 1,001st person, you will be processed next year. Even further, if you are the 2001st person to apply, the processing will begin after two years. This means that processing times can be long and extend for years.
There are two sub-categories to the family-based immigrant visas:
How long does it take to get a green card through marriage?
The time it takes to get a Green Card through marriage is from 10 to 13 months. The IR-1 visa which is also known as a marriage green card, therefore the processing time is also much shorter than the Family Preference Visas.
Family Preference visas
Family Preference Immigrant Visas have yearly limits, which means that processing time might vary from 1 year to in some rare cases 10 years. The date when an applicant’s petition will be reviewed is called a priority date. The U.S State Department posts the priority dates and they decide when they will process a certain category.
Employment Based Green Card Processing Time
Each year, the U.S government gives 140,000 employment visas to different categories based on percentages. The waiting times for processing are different depending on the demand for that visa.
The visa applications based on employment are processed on a first-come, first-serve basis.
To make the processing time shorter, make sure that all your documents are in order and that there are no mistakes in your application. If there are mistakes or missing documents, the USCIS will send the application back. This will extend the processing time even further.
Returning Resident Immigrant Visa Processing Time
A returning resident visa is for those could not return to the U.S within one year of absence, for strong reasons. You must prove to USCIS that you intended to return to the U.S but had no way of doing so.
After going through the application process, you will have to go through a visa interview again. The consular officer at the U.S Embassy will inform you whether you got the returning resident visa.
This means that there is no processing time in terms of this visa. You will know immediately whether you got your Green Card back.
Diversity Visa Processing Time
Diversity Lottery winners are announced within 7 months after the initial lottery applications. The visa processing after the announcements takes another 7 months. The applications are usually in October or November, after which applicants must wait for them to be processed.
The U.S State Department processes the applications and notifies the applicants when completed. It is up to them to decide when they can post the results, and applicants must continuously check their statuses on their website.
If you are then one of the selected people, you can apply for the Diversity Visa. You will need to complete the forms and submit supporting documents, which might take a few months. Even then, you must wait for the U.S Embassy to process your visa request and make a decision. Overall, you can expect to immigrate to the U.S around 2 years after you completed the initial application.
When Should I Purchase Health Insurance for Green Card Holders?
It is recommended that you purchase a health insurance plan right before your trip to the United States.
Comparison marketplaces such as VisitorsCoverage, offer affordable health insurance coverage plans for visitors in the United States.
Why do we advise to purchase a health insurance plan through VisitorsCoverage?
- With over 10 years of experience, they specialize in offering health insurance plans to international visitors in the United States from more than 175 countries.
- Since the insurance industry in the US is government-regulated, no other company can offer you a lower or higher premium for the same plan.
- Their dedicated customer service representatives will be available to your assistance seven days a week.
- You will get the lowest rates and will get the necessary information on choosing the plan that suits you best.
- With over 1 million satisfied customers and 97% customer satisfaction rate, VisitorsCoverage offers a wide array of health insurance plans tailored to your needs.
- With VisitorsCoverage you can get a quote, compare plans, buy your favorite policy and print it out. It’s that simple!
Last Updated on