If you are planning on bringing your parents to visit you from India to the US, then you will have to prepare for their arrival. One of the most important things is to get them health insurance.
Getting visitors insurance for parents from India will help with any unforeseen incident that may occur during their visit.
Should I get visitors insurance for my parents coming from India?
It is best that everyone who visits the US for any period of time to get health insurance. Although it is not obligatory by law, due to the high cost of healthcare in the US, it is strongly advisable. This is especially true for elderly parents, who are more prone to sickness.
If your parents were to fall ill during their visit, and they do not have health insurance, the medical bills will quickly add up to tens or maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars, depending on the type of medical care they need.
If your parents are joining you in America permanently, then you have to get them health insurance for Green Card holders.
What are the types of health insurance for parents visiting the US?
- Fixed-coverage health insurance. This will only cover a fixed amount of your medical bills, and you will have to cover the rest of it. If this “fixed amount” is low while the medical bill is high, then you will have to pay a pretty substantial amount from your own pocket.
- Comprehensive-coverage health insurance. This type of health insurance plan will pay a percentage of your medical bill up to a certain amount, then it will cover 100% up until the policy maximum. For example, it will pay 80% of the bill for the first $2,000 then 100% until the policy maximum ($50,000; $70,000; $100,000 etc. depending on what policy maximum you purchased.)
What is Included in the Visitor Health Insurance Plan for my Parents?
There is a set of medical procedures that all health insurance companies will cover, although at varying degrees depending on the plan. When choosing US visitors health insurance for your parents, make sure to compare different plans to see which one will suit the needs of your parents the best. Usually, all health insurance plans cover the following medical procedures:
- Consultation with a doctor
- The cost of the hospital room
- The cost of prescription drugs and medicine
- Surgical procedures
- Emergency services, such as the ambulance and ER
- The cost of lab tests and X-rays
- Physical therapy
Some, but not all, also cover the following:
Compare visitor health insurance plans for parents coming to the US at VisitorsCoverage or at the end of this article.
How to buy health insurance for my parents in USA?
You have to buy health insurance from a private company in the US. There are countless plans, with different types and amounts of coverage, so you have to really do your research before you choose one. You can compare and buy health insurance plans for your parents through companies such as VisitorsCoverage (or see them below).
What is the best visitors insurance for parents?
Here are some of the best US health insurance plans for parents visiting from India:
Last Updated on