One important part of traveling abroad, especially to the USA, is to get travel health insurance. Even if you are only spending a week or two there and you are healthy, you cannot predict the future or any accidents that can happen. Health insurance for visitors to USA minimizes the cost of any medical problem or accident that can occur while traveling.
Is It Necessary to Get Health Insurance for Visitors to USA?
Technically, no. If you are traveling to the US for a short period of time, you are not required by law to have health insurance. However, the price of healthcare in the US is very high, so while medical insurance for visitors to the US is not mandatory, it is highly advisable.
Only a consultation with a doctor in the US can reach hundreds of dollars. If you have an accident and call an ambulance, the ambulance ride to the ER on its own can set you back thousands of dollars, not to mention the cost of medical treatment and hospitalization. If you do not have health insurance, you will have to cover all of the expenses yourself. And we are talking about bills that can reach tens of thousands of dollars, if not hundreds.
The amount of coverage depends on the specific plan that you choose. Comparison marketplaces such as Insubuy, offer affordable health insurance coverage plans for visitors in the United States.
What Does US Visitor Health Insurance Cover?
Usually, all health insurance plans for visitors to the US cover the following:
- Doctor’s visit
- Hospitalization (the cost of the hospital room)
- The cost of prescription drugs and medicine
- Surgical procedures
- Emergency services, such as the ambulance and ER
- The cost of lab tests and X-rays
- Physical therapy
The following medical procedures, however, are not included in all plans:
- Pre-existing conditions
- AD&D (accidental death and dismemberment)
Why do we advise you to purchase a visitor’s travel insurance plan through Insubuy?
- Lowest price guarantee. Insurance premiums are regulated by law and no one is allowed to charge even a single penny more or less than the prices determined by respective insurance companies.
- Over 20 years of experience. On Insubuy.com, you can get instant quotes for various plans, make side-by-side comparisons, and make an instant purchase of most insurance plans.
- You get additional service at no additional cost to you. Insubuy provides the same excellent service when you have questions about the coverage, want to buy the insurance, and when you need post-sale administrative services or have some claims issues.
- Excellent customer service. Insubuy is a full-service company that firmly believes customers deserve the best. Their staff is comprised of knowledgeable, licensed, and experienced insurance professionals.
- Licensed U.S. Based Company. Insubuy is a U.S. based company, in Plano, Texas – in the Dallas metroplex area.
- Easy, secure, and confident purchase. Insubuy.com is a secured web site and it is certified to be Hacker Safe and offers the simplest of purchase forms.
How to Purchase Visitor Medical Insurance for The US?
Before you purchase a health insurance plan for visitors to the US, you have to do your research and find one that suits your needs. This means looking through different plans and carefully reading what they have to offer.
You can compare health insurance plans for tourists to the US through comparison marketplaces such as Insubuy.
When deciding which medical insurance plan to buy, you should carefully read the policy, learn how much coverage they offer and for what. See below for the things you have to keep in mind when buying visitor’s health insurance in the USA.
Things to Remember When Buying Visitor’s Health Insurance in the USA
Purchasing health insurance in the US can be tricky and confusing even for residents, let alone visitors. So, before deciding on which plan to purchase, make sure you have considered the following:
- There are health insurance policies with different amounts of coverage. They can range from $25,000 to millions of dollars in coverage. This is the maximum amount of money the insurance company will cover for your medical expenses. Naturally, policies with a higher amount of coverage will cost more.
- You have to choose a plan with a policy maximum in concurrence with the time you intend to stay in the US. So, if you are only staying for a week, the policy maximum can be smaller than if you were staying for a month or longer.
- The price of your US travel health insurance policy depends on the duration of your trip and the amount of coverage you choose.
- Even if you are healthy, do not choose the cheapest visitors health insurance plan you find and call it a day. That’s because if you do need medical care during your trip to the US, a cheap health insurance policy will likely only cover a small portion of your medical bill, leaving you to shoulder the majority.
- Not all health insurance companies in the US offer coverage for pre-existing conditions. Here are the best travel health insurance plans for pre-existing conditions.
- Most health insurance companies do not offer plans with coverage for elderly visitors over the age of 69. So, if your parents are coming to visit you in the US, it is necessary to find an adequate health insurance plan for elderly parents or visitors to the US.
- Additionally, health insurance in the US for senior citizens is more expensive than it is for younger generations.
- Not all health insurance plans offer maternity coverage. See the best pregnancy travel insurance plans.
What Are the Types of Health Insurance for Visitors to the USA?
There are two main types of visitor medical insurance in the US:
- Plans with a fixed coverage
- Plans with comprehensive coverage
The difference between health insurance plans with a fixed versus comprehensive coverage is as follows:
|Fixed coverage||Comprehensive coverage|
|There is a fixed amount that the health insurance company pays for every medical procedure, regardless of the cost of the procedure.
So, if there’s a fixed amount of $5,000, but you have just had a $50,000 surgery, you are left with paying over $40,000 out of your own pocket.
|The health insurance company pays a percentage of the cost of medical procedures for a certain amount. For any costs exceeding that amount, the company pays 100% of the costs up to the policy maximum.
(E.g: After the deductible*, the health insurance company will cover 80% – 90% of the first $5,000, then 100% of the expenses up to policy maximum)
|You have to pay a deductible every time you get sick or injured.||You pay a deductible only once for the entire policy.|
|Has a lower policy maximum.||Has a higher policy maximum.|
*The deductible is the amount of money you have to pay for a medical procedure out of your own pocket before the health insurance company begins to pay. For example, if you have a $2,500 deductible, you have to pay $2,500 first, then the company will begin paying.
What Is the Best Health Insurance Plan for Visitors to USA?
Here are the best health insurance plans for visitors to the US:
- Safe Travels for Visitors to the USA.
- Visitors Care.
- Safe Travel USA Comprehensive.
- Atlas America.
- Safe Travel USA Cost Saver.
- Atlas Essential America.
- Safe Travels USA.
- Atlas Premium America.
- Patriot America Plus.
- Patriot America.
- Patriot Platinum America.
- Beacon America.
Last Updated on