If you are planning on bringing your parents to visit you in the United States, then you will have to prepare for their arrival. One of the most important things is to get them health insurance.
Getting visitors insurance for parents from will help with any unforeseen incident that may occur during their visit.
Should I Get Visitors Insurance for My Parents Visiting Me in the USA?
Although it is not obligatory by law, due to the high cost of healthcare, it is strongly advisable to get health insurance for parents visiting you in the United States. This is especially important for elderly parents, who are more prone to sickness.
If your parents were to fall ill during their visit, and they are uninsured, the medical bills will quickly add up to tens or maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars, depending on the type of medical care they need.
If your parents are joining you in America permanently, then you have to get them health insurance for Green Card holders.
What Are the Types of Health Insurance for Visiting Parents?
There are two main types of health insurance that your parents can look for:
- Fixed-coverage health insurance. This will only cover a fixed amount of your medical bills, and you will have to cover the rest of it. If this “fixed amount” is low while the medical bill is high, then you will have to pay a pretty substantial amount from your own pocket.
- Comprehensive-coverage health insurance. This type of health insurance plan will pay a percentage of your medical bill up to a certain amount, then it will cover 100% up until the policy maximum. For example, it will pay 80% of the bill for the first $2,000 then 100% until the policy maximum ($50,000; $70,000; $100,000 etc. depending on what policy maximum you purchased.)
What is Included in the Visitor Health Insurance Plan for my Parents?
There is a set of medical procedures that all insurance companies will cover, although at varying degrees depending on the plan. When choosing a visitors health insurance plan for your parents, make sure to compare different plans to see which one will suit the needs of your parents the best. Usually, all health insurance plans cover the following medical procedures:
- Consultation with a doctor
- The cost of the hospital room
- The cost of prescription drugs and medicine
- Surgical procedures
- Emergency services, such as the ambulance and ER
- The cost of lab tests and X-rays
- Physical therapy
Some, but not all, also cover the following:
Compare visitor health insurance plans for parents coming to the US at Insubuy or at the end of this article.
How to Buy US Travel Insurance for My Parents?
You have to buy health insurance from a private company in the United States. There are countless plans, with different types and amounts of coverage, so you have to really do your research before you choose one.
You can compare and buy health insurance plans for your parents through comparison marketplaces such as Insubuy.
What Are the Best Travel Insurance Plans for Parents Visiting the USA?
Here are some of the best US health insurance plans for parents: