When you want to send money abroad, for example, you want to transfer money from India to USA, there are two main options you can choose: through your bank or through a money transfer agency.
There are many reasons you would need to send money to the US: To fund your child who is there on a US Student Visa, pay school tuition fees, send money to family members who are there on a US Tourist Visa or on a Green Card. Or maybe you are applying for a US visa yourself and have to cover certain expenses. Whatever the reason, you normally want to make sure that your international money transfers are handled safely, especially if you are transferring large sums of money
This article will detail the most convenient options to transfer money to the USA from abroad.
Transfer Money to the USA Through Your Bank
If you have a bank account, then you can simply transfer money through your bank directly to the bank account of the recipient in the USA. Transferring money through your bank is a safe method of money transfer, although sometimes it can take several days for the beneficiary to receive the money.
You can visit the branch of the bank in person to make the transfer or use the online banking services they offer. Most banks offer online banking, but you must be registered and have an account to make the transfer. Another method of money transfer is through a bank draft.
If you want to transfer money directly from your bank account to the bank account of someone in the US, you will need:
- Their International Bank Account Number (IBAN) and Bank Identifier Code (BIC). The IBAN is a standard international numbering system which identifies an overseas bank account. It consists of a two-letter country code followed by two numbers and then the basic bank account number. The receiver of the money has to provide you with these.
- The IBAN and BIC from your bank account.
If you transfer money to the US frequently, then you can consider opening an account on the US branch of your current bank, if one is available.
However, banks often offer exchange rates that are higher than the actual exchange rate. In this case, they may offer 0% commission and fees, but because of the high exchange rates, you will still lose money despite not paying a fee.
How to Transfer Money to USA Through a Money Transfer Agency?
Another equally convenient – if not more convenient – method of sending money to USA is by using a money transfer agency. There are plenty of professional and safe money transfer agencies that have branches all over the world or that operate online, such as MoneyGram, Western Union, and TransferWise.
By using one of these agencies, you could simply go to one of their offices, pay the money in cash, and they will transfer it to the US. You will receive a number, which the recipient can use to pick up the money at one of the agency’s locations in the US. If you transfer the money by cash, the money could be transferred instantly. However, the fees may be higher. This option is best when you have to transfer the money urgently.
If the transfer is not urgent, then your best option would be an online money transfer service, like TransferWise.
How to Transfer Money to USA with TransferWise?
TransferWise is a safe, fast, convenient, and inexpensive international money transfer agency. They have relatively low fees, which are up to 8 times less than what banks normally charge for the same kind of transfer. Additionally, all their costs are transparent and upfront, so you won’t receive a surprise extra charge halfway down the line. Click here to learn more.
To transfer money through TranferWise you have to:
- Register in their website or app with an email address, or Facebook or Google account. The registration is free.
- Choose how much money you will transfer and whether it is a personal or business transfer. They will show you the fee that you have to pay and when your money will arrive in the US.
- Add the recipient’s bank account details.
- Verify your identity by sending a picture of your ID card. You may not always have to do this, but it is necessary for large transfers.
- Pay your transfer. You can make your payment via bank transfer or through a debit or credit card (Visa or MasterCard).
- Wait for your money to be transferred. In the meantime, you can track the process through their website or app.
TransferWise operates entirely online and is regulated by several different authorities around the world, to ensure the safety of your funds, such as FinCEN in the US or FCA in the UK. Once you transfer your money, they are safeguarded at authorized financial institutions like JP Morgan Chase, Barclays, and Deutsche Bank. This means that your money is safe.
Sending Money to the US Through Other Money Transfer Agencies
Other agencies you can use to transfer money to the US include:
Western Union is a money transfer service that has agent locations around the world. With Western Union, you can transfer money to the US online or in person at one of their locations. You can transfer cash, and the recipient can receive them almost instantly at a Western Union location in the US. Keep in mind that this method is quicker, but also more expensive.
Another popular money transfer service is MoneyGram, which works more or less in the same manner as Western Union. You can transfer money online, through a bank account, or by cash at a location agent.
PayPal provides online money transfer services. You can set up an account on PayPal, connect it to your credit/debit card and use it to send or receive payments from other PayPal accounts.
How to Transfer Money from India to USA?
Sending money from India to USA is no harder than from any other country. You can transfer money through any of the following methods, in the same manner as they were detailed above:
- Through your bank in India to a bank account in USA.
- TransferWise. Online service, best for non-urgent transfers. Offers the cheapest fees, which can be up to 8 times less than bank transfer fees.
- Western Union. Offers online, bank, and cash transfers. Cash transfers may have higher fees because they are faster.
- Offers online, bank, and cash transfers. Cash transfers may have higher fees because they are faster.
- An online money transfer platform.
How to Transfer Money From USA to India?
If you are in the USA and want to send money to India, then you can use any of the methods detailed above. These include:
- Through your American bank account to an Indian bank account.
- Through TransferWise. If you use TransferWise, you will get the best transfer fees and exchange rates. TransferWise is an online money transfer service, so you cannot send cash. The recipient in India must have a bank account.
- Through other money transfer agencies such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Both these agencies have agent locations in India, so you can send them money by cash as well as online or by a bank transfer. Cash transfers may have higher fees because they are faster.
- Through PayPal. An online money transfer platform.
How Long Does It Take to Send Money to USA?
Depending on where you live as well as the transfer method, it can take between one and up to several working days to transfer money to the US. On average, it takes about 5-6 days if you are transferring your money through your bank. You can have it transferred quicker, but you will have to pay extra.