Have you thought about visiting a country, but the trip expenses are over your budget? Even though it sounds great, a good trip does not necessarily mean luxurious locations and expensive restaurants. There are numerous affordable destinations around the world you can travel to and have a great time without spending too much.
Here are some of the cheapest countries to visit:
For many of these countries, the highest cost will be the flight ticket there and back. So, for example, while a ticket from the US to Thailand costs around $800-$1,000, the rest of your trip will be relatively cheap, so it balances out.
Bolivia is one of the cheapest countries to visit in South America, as well as one of the cheapest countries to visit from the US. The country’s diverse culture, geographic regions, history, and food make Bolivia a great attraction for tourists. Surrounded by high mountains and beautiful lakes, Bolivia offers you an authentic experience.
If you need to apply for a visa to Bolivia, the visa may be free of charge if you are a citizen of one of the countries in the “Group Two” list. In other instances, the visa fee may cost up to $160.
Being a food-friendly country, the restaurants in Bolivia are known for their delicious and affordable food. The average cost of food is $14 per day per person.
You don’t have to spend much on accommodation either. Hotels in Bolivia charge from $25 per night to over $100. You should be prepared to spend around $42 per day on average.
Famous Tourist Attractions in Bolivia
Some of the most popular tourist attractions in Bolivia include:
- Salar de Uyuni. Located in the Andes Mountains, Salar de Uyuni is one of the most famous places in Bolivia and the world’s largest salt flat. The landscape will be one of the most unique and unforgettable tours you will experience.
- Tiwanaku and Lake Titicaca. If you are into ancient history, then Tiwanaku must be on your bucket list. The sacred site consists of former pyramids and enclosures, gateways, and monuments near the southeast shore of Lake Titicaca.
- Calle Jaen. The narrow street Calle Jaen is lined with colorful houses, boutiques, and cafes. Besides all the beautiful surroundings, you have the pleasure of visiting some of the most important museums in La Paz, such as the Museum do Pre Metales Precioso, the Museo del Libral Boliviano, and Museo Costumbrista Juan de Vargas.
- Valle de la Luna. If you want to experience what a moon’s landscape looks like, Valle de la Luna is your go-to place. The mineral content and rock formations create a beautiful colorful scene giving you the impression of the moon.
If you are tired of the concrete life and want to travel to a country surrounded by nature, you must visit Cambodia. The home of mountains, waterfalls, rivers, lakes and diverse wildlife is perfect for a getaway trip. The Southeast Asian country is a very cheap travel destination, so it won’t be difficult to find accommodation at a reasonable cost and affordable restaurants.
If you need to apply for a Cambodian visa before traveling, then you would have to pay $30 for a tourist visa.
The low cost of food and accommodation makes Cambodia one of the cheapest countries to visit. You can book a hotel for $20 per night; of course, for more luxurious rooms, the prices increase.
One of the best things about visiting Cambodia (other than the beaches) is exploring the magnificent historical sites.
Famous Tourist Attractions in Cambodia
These are some of the most popular tourist attractions in Cambodia:
- Angkor Wat. Angkor Wat is the greatest mountain temple and an example of Khmer architecture. The temple gives you the full expression of Hindu symbolism. The famous temple is visited by 2.6 million tourists every year.
- Phnom Penh. Phnom Penh, known as the pearl of Asia, is characterized by the scenic riverside, the Royal Palace, temples, and fancy restaurants. Phenom Penh has many marketplaces that sell carvings, paintings, silk, silver, gems, and antiques.
- Kampot. If peppers and salt are something you like, then Kampot is worth your trip. Kampot is known for its salt pans and pepper plantations. The Cambodian city has beautiful beaches, and if you want, you can go kayaking, swimming, and paddleboarding in the river.
- Tonlé Sap Lake. Tonlé Sap is one of the world’s most vibrant ecosystems. The lake is home to a significant number of wildlife species and at least 149 species of fish. The tourists are attracted by the floating villages settled on the surface of the lake.
Vietnam is another colorful country to add to your travel list. The Southeast Asian country is known for its beaches, rivers, Buddhist pagodas, and crowded cities. When visiting Vietnam, you will get to experience the colorful scenery of different festivals that are held throughout the year. The beautiful tradition, ancient history, diverse culture, and natural landscape will fascinate you immediately.
Usually, a day in Vietnam can cost you around $50. This will be enough for food, drinks, activities and hotel rooms. If you want a more luxurious experience, prepare to spend $60 to $100 per day for your entire costs.
Famous Tourist Attractions in Vietnam
These are some of the places you can visit during your trip to Vietnam:
- Halong Bay. Halong Bay is known for its emerald waters and thousands of towering limestones islands. The region is popular for scuba diving, boat tours, kayak expedition, rock climbing, and hiking.
- Ho Chi Minh City. Ho Chi Minh City is the largest city in Vietnam with an ancient history. While visiting Ho Chi Minh, you will be fascinated by the exotic delicious food, French colonial architecture, and memories of Vietnam War.
- Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park. The national park is a protected area characterized by mountains, tropical forests, and underground rivers. Phong Nha caves and Son Doong cave are perfect for people who like to explore, hike, and meet different animals.
- Sapa Countryside. Sapa is a small mountain town in Lao Cai Province that attracts people who admire nature and like to be surrendered by it. Sapa is a two-in-one package, combining culture and nature. The territory might be a challenge if you are not used to walking, but the breathtaking view is definitely worth it.
- Nha Trang. The beautiful beaches, diving sites, and offshore islands make Nha Trang one of Vietnam’s famous tourist attractions. Even though it is mainly known about scuba diving and long beautiful beaches, Nha Trang offers a lot of beautiful temples, delicious food, museums, and exotic animals.
With its beautiful islands and mesmerizing beaches, Thailand is undoubtedly one of the most scenic countries in Southeast Asia. The tropical beaches, royal palaces, temples, and ancient ruins make Thailand a popular destination amongst tourists. Thailand is world-famous for its spa massages, beaches, Buddhist temples, nightlife, and shopping. Tourists visit Thailand because it is relatively cheap to stay and travel.
The Thailand tourist visa is relatively expensive, ranging from $30 for single entry tourist visas, to $250 for a multiple entry tourist visa application.
The average cost of a basic Thai meal in a restaurant is $3- $5. Seafood is more expensive.
You can choose to stay in a hotel, hostel, Airbnb, or beach bungalows for a price from $20-$120. Depending on what hotel you choose to stay in for a one-week trip, you can spend an average of $670.
Famous Tourist Attractions in Thailand
Some of the most famous tourist spots in Thailand are:
- Chiang Mai. One day won’t be enough to explore the beautiful city of Chiang Mai. The city is famous for its historical temples, picturesque mountains, and scenic views, brings you close to nature, and has one of the best elephant sanctuaries in Thailand.
- Bangkok. Travelers and backpackers find Bangkok a safe place to visit. The city is famous for its street life and cultural landmark. The Grand Palace, Wat Pho, and Wat Arun are a trio you should not miss. Chatuchak Weekend Market is the perfect place for shopaholics, whereas the Siam district has all the modern and trendy shopping centers.
- Phuket. There are many destinations in Thailand, but Phuket remains one of the most popular. The gorgeous beaches with their breathtaking sunsets, the warm climate all year, the vibrant nightlife, and the friendly people certainly make it desirable. Its history of welcoming foreign traders also plays a central role.
- Railay Beach. Railay Beach or Thai paradise is a dreamy place. With crystal clear waters jungled-laden mountain coastline, Railay is the perfect place to relax and enjoy the marvelous sunsets. You can get a boat tour to visit the beaches on the coast of Railay Beach.
- Phang Nga. Known as one of the most well-liked tourist destinations, Phang Nga is perfect for adventurous people. The province is filled with islets, sunken caverns, and rock formations rising vertically out of the sea.
The first thing that comes to mind when you mention Egypt is pyramids and camels, but Egypt has so much more than that to offer. The country is perfect for budget travelers who like to travel without spending a lot of money. Visa application fees in Egypt vary depending on the applicant’s nationality. They may range from $15 for a single entry tourist visa for US citizens, to $160 for a multiple entry business visa for Britons.
The hotel prices go from $17 for one-star hotels to $280 for five-star hotels per night.
Egypt is also diverse in cuisine, and you can choose a meal from different types of restaurants. The average cost of food in Egypt is $13 per day.
Famous Tourist Attractions in Egypt
If you visit Egypt, make sure you see the following attractions:
- The Pyramids of Giza. The Pyramids of Giza (Khufu, Khafre, and Menkaure), the world’s most recognizable landmarks, are known to be on top of every traveler’s list. They are proof of ancient civilization and one of the Seven Wonders of the ancient world.
- Islamic Cairo. Islamic Cairo is the oldest and largest mosque in Cairo. It became the regional center for Islam which resulted in the name Islamic Cairo. It is characterized by hundreds of mosques, tombs, madrasas, mansions, caravanserais, and fortifications.
- The Nile. The hot sunny days that prevail in Egypt are perfect for swimming in the world’s longest river. Lake Nile is the most famous lake in Egypt and provides water for over 300 million people. If you decide to take a cruise on the Nile, you will see all the cultural and historical sites of Ancient Egypt.
- Egyptian Museum. The Egyptian Museum is one of the world’s great museum collections and the oldest archaeological museum in the Middle East. It is the home of more than 120,000 artifacts of ancient Egypt.
- Ras Mohammad National Park. Not only is it the most famous national park in Egypt, but Ras Mohammad is also one of the most popular diving sites in the world. Divers around the world will have a wonderful experience diving into the Red Sea and interacting with the coral world of Egypt.
Morocco is a popular destination for culture lovers, adventure travelers, couples, and families. The country is relatively safe, peaceful, stable, and affordable for tourists. Depending on the number of entries and your nationality, you may need to pay from $23 to $34 to apply for a Moroccan visa.
Apart from all the beauty, the gastronomy of Morocco is ranked on top of the world’s best cuisines. The main Moroccan dish is couscous, and you can eat all the delicious food for $14 per day.
You can stay in a hotel for as low as $23. For couples traveling to Morocco, the average price for a hotel room is $45.
If you want to take a one-week trip to Morocco, the average price for one person is $330 and $670 for couples.
Famous Tourist Attractions in Morocco
When visiting Morocco, you should add these destinations to your bucket list:
- Fez. Fez is the oldest city in Africa and one of the most visited cities of Morocco. You can walk through one of the oldest neighborhoods Fes el Bali, admire the Medersa Bou Inania, shop in the Medina Souqs, visit the museums or enjoy a relaxing day in the beautiful gardens.
- High Atlas Mountains. The region of High Atlas will give you one of the most spectacular sceneries. The mountains are famous for their fertile valleys, hiking paths, and Berber villages. You will have the chance to visit the Magnificent Ksar of Ait Ben Haddou, climb Jebel Toubkal, hike in the Dades Valley or Todra Gorge, and admire the Ouzoud Waterfalls.
- Chefchaouen. If you like taking photos, Chefchaoun should be on your list. The different shades of blue give the city a peaceful and heavenly view. Visit the Souk (market) to buy fruits and vegetables, handmade crafts, or mountain herbs.
- Marrakesh. Also known as the city of luxury, Marrakesh has many famous palaces, five-star restaurants, luxury spas, and hammams. The beautiful beaches of Marrakesh have amazing food resorts, champagne, desserts, wines, and cocktails. You can ride a camel in the Palmeraie or Palm Grove for $84.
It is no secret that Turkey remains one of the most famous and loved tourist destinations around the globe. Turkey is famous for its traditional tea, carpets, hammams, and bazaars. One cannot visit Turkey and leave without trying all the delicious desserts and baklava.
Turkish visa fees are not the same for different countries. Applicants from some countries may need to pay more than others. If you need to apply for a Turkish tourist visa, you can get details on the process here.
Turkey is one of the cheapest countries to travel to. A 7-day trip for solo travelers can cost around $870, whereas trip prices for couples sit at around $1,400.
The hotels in Turkey range from $33 to $141 per night. Rentals usually cost $70 to $390 per night for the entire home.
Famous Tourist Attractions in Turkey
When you’re in Turkey, make sure you do not miss out on these places:
- Istanbul. Istanbul is a timeless charm for tourists all around the world. It has one of the most famous and popular covered shopping complexes, Grand Bazaar. Tourists can explore the city on foot or by tram; see the many mosques (Hagia Sophia (Aya Sofya) Mosque and the Blue Mosque) and markets.
- Antalya. The city is famous for its charming nature and glamorous atmosphere. Moreover, the city has many beautiful destinations that make it one of the most visited destinations in the world. The old town Kaleici is a must for first-time visitors.
- Cappadocia. If you want to visit one of the most magical places in Turkey, you must go to Cappadocia. The region is famous for its uniques moon-like landscape, underground cities, cave churches, and rock houses. Cappadocia is also famous for the air balloons with the fairytale scenery.
- Pamukkale. Pamukkale, or ‘cotton castle,’ is famous for its mineral-rich thermal waters that flow down the terraces, creating a beautiful white and blue landscape. You can swim in the public travertine pools and Cleopatra’s Pool, walk around the Travertines, visit Hieropolis Museum, or explore Hierapolis City Ruins.
Portugal is ranked as the 3rd safest place for tourists and is considered one of the least expensive destinations in Western Europe. Tourists visit Portugal to see cities, historic landmarks, beaches, and religious sites.
Traveling to Portugal won’t cost you a lot of money either. For a seven days trip, you can spend:
- $1,300 for a solo traveler
- $1,900 for a family of four
- $2,020 for a couple
The hotel rooms range from $45 to $200 per night, with an average of $75.
The delicious food is affordable too, but to save money on food, we recommend you buy local food such as fresh fruit, vegetables, and dairy products.
Famous Tourist Attractions in Portugal
- Lisbon. The colorful and vibrant destination is one of Europe’s most beautiful cities. The city is filled with historic monuments and world-class museums. The most famous museum in Lisbon are Museu Calouste Gulbenkian, Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga, Museu do Oriente, and Museu Nacional do Azulejo.
- Porto. Wine lovers will love Porto. The city is known for its stately bridges and port wine production. You can take a tour to Caves Calém, one of the most famous and most visited cellars for wine tours in Porto. During your stroll in Porto, you can explore the restaurants, eat a francesinha or ride a bike in Fozo.
- Algarve. Algarve is famous for its Atlantic beaches and golf resorts. It has some of the most picturesque beaches. For a budget-friendly trip, it is recommended to visit Algarve during summer.
- The Portuguese Riviera. The Portuguese Riviera is the home of numerous prestigious institutions, art galleries, and museums. The region is known for holding music festivals, film festivals, cultural festivals, and concerts.
- Madeira. Once you arrive in the beautiful region of Madeira, you must visit Prazeres, the Valley of the Nuns, Ponta do Sol, Ponta de São Lourenço Nature Reserve, and Funchal. You can explore these places by going on a jeep tour. Madeira is known for wine, gastronomy, historical and cultural value, flora and fauna, landscapes.
Another budget-friendly country to add to your travel list is the beautiful Poland. Considered one of the most affordable countries in the European Union, Poland is perfect for people who want to enjoy things on a budget.
Since Poland is a member of the Schengen area, a visa application costs €80. If your home country is not among the countries that have a visa liberalization agreement with the EU, here’s how to get a tourist visa for Poland.
Food lovers can try the famous Pierogi dish, zurek, flaki, bigos, and all the delicious desserts and sweets around the country. The average cost of food in Poland is $13 per day. Breakfast prices are usually a little cheaper than lunch or dinner.
The prices for hotel rooms start from $20 to higher based on the type of hotel you decide to stay.
Famous Tourist Attractions in Poland
Some of the most popular tourist spots in Poland include:
- Warsaw. The Polish capital is the perfect place to visit beautiful landmarks, old town streets, Lazienki Palace park and its gardens. If you are interested to learn about Polish architecture, you can walk down Warsaw’s best architectural street, Krakowskie Przedmiescie.
- Wroclaw. In Wroclaw, you will find a peaceful and authentic traditional feel. Wroclaw has one of the biggest and most beautiful markets in Europe. Tourists can participate in tour visits to Ostrów Tumski or Racławice Panorama. For a unique experience, it is a must to visit Wroclaw Zoo & Afrykarium, which has the biggest number of animals and species in the world.
- Gdansk. Gdansk is a port city located on the Baltic Sea. The city has many historical attractions, such as the Royal Way, the famous promenade street of Polish kings, historic cathedrals, medieval ports, and oodles of cool cafes. Tourists can try the delicious fish served in different ways.
- Tatra Mountains. Hikers can spend a day in the Tatra Mountains and be amazed by the breathtaking view. The mountains are rich in fauna, so do not be surprised if, during your walk, you see brown bears, Tatra chamois, alpine marmot, wolf, and red deer.
Bulgaria is one of the most affordable destinations in Europe, where you can have the best time on a tight budget. The country is famous for its folklore and opera singers. Folk music and dances, national costumes, and traditional rituals are important for Bulgarians. The beaches on the Black Sea coast are perfect for a summer holiday at a reasonable price.
If you need to apply for a visa to Bulgaria, the application will cost you around $96.
Another thing Bulgaria is famous for is the food. A meal for two with desserts and a bottle of wine can cost around $20-50, whereas a simple meal with a beer might even be less than $15.
You can find accommodation in beautiful hotels for $20 and more per night. On average, you should be prepared to spend around $58 per day.
Famous Tourist Attractions in Bulgaria
The must-see places when visiting Bulgaria are:
- Sofia. The home to the National Opera and Ballet of Bulgaria, Sofia is the most well-known tourist destination in Bulgaria. Sofia is a full package: you can find Bulgarian culture, tradition, architecture, and nature.
- Veliko Tarnovo. If you enjoy walking through picturesque streets and being surrounded by nature, add Veliko Tarnovo to your itinerary. The remarkable beauty and unique architecture of the city is what makes Veliko Tarnovo stand out.
- Plovdiv. In Plovdiv, you can go back in time by walking along Gurko Street. For a magical moment, you can climb Dzendem Tepe and enjoy one of the most beautiful sunsets of your life.
- Nessebar. The picturesque Nessebar is one of the most beautiful places on the Black Sea Coast. If you want to have fun, swim, and play with water, the Aquapark Nessebar will give you the ultimate pleasure. Wine lovers have the chance to visit the Messembria winery and try different types of wine.
- Sozopol. The impressive architecture and archaeology, diverse culture, and modern infrastructure are the reason thousands of tourists choose Sozopol as their holiday destination. Every September, the old town hosts one of the country’s largest art festivals.