The UK Home Office has launched a new wave of advertising in a bid to encourage more EU citizens that wish to live in the UK post-Brexit to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. The new campaign, which is worth £1 million, builds on the £3.75 million campaign allocated for full supporting of the Scheme, last March.
According to a press release of the UK government, the outdoor advertising in around 2,400 places across the UK will be followed by adverts on catch-up TV, radio and social media throughout the next weeks. In addition, adverts will also appear in foreign-language newspapers and radio stations across the UK.
“To help raise awareness of the EU Settlement Scheme at a local level, the Home Office is also holding a series of innovative pop-up events across the UK where staff will answer questions and help people to apply in person,” the press release explains.
Home Office Minister Brandon Lewis, who attended the launch in Great Yarmouth on Friday 6 September 2019, said that though there have been more than two million applications to the EU Settlement Scheme there’s more to do to raise awareness.
“That’s why I’ve launched this nationwide campaign which will reach people up and down the country through billboards, radio and social media so that EU citizens know how to apply and can get the status they need,” he said.
As a part of the ongoing attempt to raise awareness on the EU Settlement Scheme, the UK has also released a beta version of the EU Exit ID Document Check App for iPhone devices, which is currently being tested for iPhone 8 and above. Applicants, however, can apply for the scheme using any laptop or mobile device.
The EU Settlement Scheme has been created for EU, EEA or Swiss citizens and their family members living in the UK. It grants eligible applicants with settled and pre-settled status, enabling them to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. If the UK leaves the EU with a deal, the deadline for applying for the status is 30 June 2021. If there is a no-deal exit, then the deadline for applying will be 31 December 2020.
Two million non-UK EU nationals have applied to stay in the United Kingdom post-Brexit, under the EU Settlement Scheme, as announced last on October 10th. According to the Home Secretary Priti Patel, internal figures show that Home Office has admitted two million applications so far, despite that the EU Settlement Scheme statistics released on October 9 show that 1,860,200 applications have been received until the end of September 2019.
While 231,500 applications were received during the testing phase, the rest of applications were filed from April through the end of September. While April saw 389,900 applications lodged, the numbers increased to 520,600 in September.
Last Updated on