The UK and the Republic of Ireland will be included in the US travel restriction towards Europe, which move has been taken in a bid to slow the spread of COVID-19.
Trump’s administration decision came into force on Monday, Vice President Mike Pence announced during a briefing, and it will last until further notice, VisaGuide.World reports.
Pence pointed out that the entry ban for European countries is not applied to American citizens, permanent residents who are staying legally in the US as well as their immediate families, and certain other categories. These people will first have to do special screening, in one of the 13 airports according to the rules of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).
Pence highlighted that the entry ban for the UK and the Republic of Ireland had been made with the unanimous support of Trump’s health team.
Previously, while announcing the entry ban for the nationals of the 26 Schengen Area countries, Trump himself had said that the UK and Ireland might also be included in the ban later on.
“We are looking at it very seriously, yeah, because they’ve had a little bit of activity, unfortunately,” Trump said when asked in the White House briefing room about reports that the European travel ban would be extended.
President Trump had said that he is also considering domestic travel restrictions as a preventive measure for coronavirus.
“If you don’t have to travel, I wouldn’t do it,” Trump said. “We want this thing to end. We don’t want a lot of people getting infected,” Trump highlighted.
On 13 March 2020, President Trump suspended travel for 26 Schengen countries for 30 days.
The travel ban caused polemics and confusion in the US as well as in Europe, with diplomats accusing Trump of making decisions “without consultation”.
Up to this point, 4,727 persons have been diagnosed in America and 93 have died. More than 182,000 cases are recorded globally while 7,174 have passed away because of the virus.
Last Updated on