Brazil’s government has decided to extend the border closure with Venezuela for health reasons, amid coronavirus, but the citizens coming from abroad will be eligible to enter the country, Justice Minister of the country Sergio Moro announced.
Minister Moro and Health Minister Luiz Henrique Mandetta will also discuss what the security forces of the country can do to halt the spread of COVID-19.
Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro previously announced the border closure with Venezuela, on March 17, until further notice, VisaGuide.World reports.
Brazil banned the entry for the UK, Europe, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, China, Japan, South Korea, and Malaysia, until at least April 30.
While the country is facing with 6,931 coronavirus cases, President Bolsonaro is being accused over the handling of Coronavirus pandemic.
A large number of the citizens are refusing to follow the President’s commands, as the last week Bolsonaro urged Brazilians to get back to work, a decision that contradicts the World Health Organization’s advice, and his health ministry.
But his exhortations have been largely ignored by politicians and the general public.
Only three of 27 Brazil states have followed the President’s decision, while up to 60% of Brazilian citizens are staying at home, a study revealed.
Brazil’s governors addressed an open letter to President Bolsonaro, showing that they will ignore his call to reopen schools and businesses.
Bolsonaro called the virus “a little flu” causing polemics and anger. He also said that the elders and persons who have health problems need to be preserved, while people should be put to work.
In a second letter, the governors of Brazil’s nine north-eastern states declared that the priority decision must be to take care of people’s lives.
Brazil president claimed that governors and mayors who are forcing the businesses to close are committing a crime and risking mass unemployment. He said that in this way, they are destroying Brazil.
So far, 244 persons have died from the COVID-19, in Brazil.