VisaGuide » Moving to » Israel
Complete guide to the possible paths to immigrating to Israel

Israel is a very popular destination for travelers who want to explore the ‘Holy Land’ of one of the world’s three biggest religions. Moreover, it is very famous for expats moving to the country to study or work, as well as the Jewish diaspora, for whom the Israeli government has made it very easy to move and settle in Israel.

If you have thought about moving to an interesting place, wonderful food and views and full of young and carefree people, you should consider moving to Israel. To do so, you can get in touch with a professional moving company.

There are a few ways how you can move to Israel temporarily or permanently, listed and briefly explained below in this article.

Aliyah for Jewish Migrants Wishing to Settle in Israel

All Jews, no matter where they were born, are Israeli citizens by right. For real! Every person born to a Jewish parent, or who is a convert to Judaism, and is not a member of another religion, living anywhere in the world, has the right to return to  Israel and enjoy the full benefits of being an Israeli citizen.

The Jewish agency handles the Aliya (immigration) for Jews abroad wishing to settle in Israel, due to an agreement with the Israeli government.

You will need to call the Global Centre or your local Jewish Agency office to open your Aliya file. They will give you a list of the documents you need to collect and the rest of the procedures you need to complete.

Once you get your Aliya and move to Israel, you will be able to live, work and study here. You will also receive a sum of money called the Sal Klitah, once you are in Israel. The money is to help you settle and you will receive a part of the amount at the airport. The rest will be deposited into your bank account in six monthly payments.

Moving to Israel to Join a Spouse

If your spouse is already living in Israel and you want to move here to join them, you can apply for the Israeli A/4 visa, which is for spouses and minor children of A/2 student visa holders and A/3 clergy visa holders.

It permits the visa recipients to join their parents and spouses in Israel, but not to work here.

Only children under the age of 18 or the spouse of the holder of one of the two visas listed below are eligible to get an A/4 visa for spouses and children:

While the visa is valid for a maximal period of one year, or until the visa of the A/2 or the A/3 holder expires, whichever comes first, you can extend it as soon as your spouse has a valid A/2 or A/3 visa

You will however, not be eligible to work or study in Israel with this visa. If you want to do whichever, you will have to apply for the relevant Israel work visa or study visa.

Moving to Israel for Employment

Moving to Israel for employment is one of the routes to move here used by many. While you can enjoy living in the sunbaked Israeli cities, you can also work and earn a living.

The Israeli B-1 visa is the general type of work permit for foreign nationals provided by the Israeli law. Everybody that has a concrete job offer in Israel can apply for it. The employer / sponsor and the employee are both involved in the work visa and work permit application procedures.

You can apply for a B/1 Work Visa for Israel for jobs that fall under the following categories:

  • Specialists Work in Academic Fields, for Engineers for Research and Development Teams, Auditors, Senior Executives, and other Senior Supervisors.
  • Specialists Work in Non-academic Fields, for jobs that do not require a certificate of education as a precondition for an academic institution of higher education.
  • Experts Work Up to 3 Months (STEP), for those holding a certificate of education at an academic institution of a higher education or relevant vocational training, wishing to stay in Israel up to three months.
  • High Tech Work Visa (HIT), for the employment of foreign experts in high-tech and cyber companies.
  • Work in Israel up to 45 days (SEA), for foreign experts who wish to enter Israel for a short period (defined and limited) that does not exceed 45 days per calendar year in total.

To be eligible to get a B/1 Work visa you must have a permit to work in Israel first. You employer in Israel is responsible to apply for the work permit for you.

The Israeli embassy in your country of residence will grant you with a B-1 visa valid for up to 30 days, which is single entry. As soon as you arrive in Israel, you should apply to the Ministry of Interior for an extended validity, multiple-entry B-1 visa stamp. Extensions of up to one year each may be permitted, but total stay in B-1 status ordinarily may not exceed five years and three months.

Moving to Israel for Studying

Another way of moving to Israel temporarily is to come to study here, with an Israeli A/2 Student Visa. This is a permit to enter Israel for those admitted at an education institution in Israel.  The A/2 Student Visa for Israel is renewable and permits students of all ages from abroad to live and study in Israel, including those in elementary and high schools, academic institutions, yeshivot and youth institutions of the Jewish Agency.

It does not authorize its holder to work.

However, note that you will not be eligible to apply for an A/2 Student Visa for Israel if you have Israeli parents (e.g. an Ezrach Oleh). By law, those who qualify for Israeli citizenship must apply for an Israeli passport.

A student visa for Israel is valid for one year. Before the expiration of your visa, you can apply for a visa extension for another year. You can extend or renew your visa as long as you are enrolled at an education institution in Israel.

Did you find this page helpful?
Yes No
Scroll to Top