A UK Investor Visa is a UK work and business visa, part of the UK Points Based System. It is for foreign investors who want to invest in the UK at least £2,000,000.
To apply for a UK Investor Visa (Tier 1) you must meet the following conditions:
- You have at least £2,000,000, which you plan to invest in the UK.
- You are non-EEA and non-Swiss national.
- You are over 18.
- You can prove that the money belongs to you, your spouse or same-sex partner.
How to Apply for a Tier 1 Investor Visa for UK?
To apply for a UK Investor visa you need to complete some procedures. These procedures are mostly similar for every Investor Visa applicant, regardless of their nationality. However, there may be additional procedures for applicants of some countries.
When you start your application process, you will get more information in this regard by the UK mission in your country.
The commons steps to apply for a UK Investor Visa (Tier 1) are as follows:
- Complete the Tier 1 Investor Visa application form online.
- Pay for the Tier 1 Investor Visa visa fee online (if applicable).
- Pay the health surcharge online (if applicable).
- Take a tuberculosis test (if you are a resident in a country where you must take the test).
- Provide your biometrics (fingerprints and facial photograph).
- Submit the rest of the required documents.
When to Apply for a UK Investor Visa?
The earliest that you can file an application for a UK visa for investment is three months prior to your intended trip to the UK. Yet the latest you are advised to file an application is three weeks before this day since this is the amount of time necessary for visa processing.
Online Application Form for a UK Investor Visa
As explained above, before you start any other procedure to apply for an Investor Visa, you should complete the application form.
The application form for a UK Investor Visa contains questions regarding:
- Your name & surname.
- Your date and place of birth.
- Parents, their names, date and place of birth and nationality.
- If you have traveled to the UK before.
- If you have traveled anywhere in the world before.
- The purpose of your trip to the UK.
- The visa type you are applying for.
- Whether you are meeting the requirements, etc.
Required Documents for a Tier 1 UK Investor Visa
To apply for a UK Investor’s Visa you will need to submit several documents as a part of your application process. Based in these documents, and the online application form, the UK authorities will take a decision on your application.
The required documents for a UK Tier 1 Investor Visa are as follows:
- Valid Travel Document. Your passport must have at least one blank page in order to be able to put the visa sticker on it.
- Tuberculosis test results. Check if you are required to take a tuberculosis test, since only the nationals of certain countries do.
- A criminal record certificate. You should obtain this document from any country you have stayed in for at least 12 months, over the last 10 years.
- Evidence that you have the required funds. You will also need to submit proof where that money came from, and if it can be transferred to the UK and converted to sterling.
- If the money is provided by your partner you should submit the following as well:
- A certificate of marriage or civil partnership, as applicable.
- A confirmation from your partner that they will allow you to control the funds in the UK.
- A letter from a legal adviser stating that the statement is valid.
- Evidence you have a UK bank account. This document should be dated within three months of your application. It should be on the headed paper of the bank and state your name and account number. It must confirm that the bank is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and that the checks for money-laundering have been carried out.
- Certified translations of all documents that aren’t in either English or Welsh.
You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.
UK Investor Visa Fees
The Investor Visa application fee is £1,623. When applying to extend your Investor Visa you will also need to pay the same fee again. There are no exceptions.
UK Investor Visa Processing
The UK authorities take up to three weeks to process a UK Innovator Visa (Tier 1) application.
UK Investor Visa Validity
A UK Investor Visa is valid for up to 3 years and 4 months. When your visa is about to expire, you can apply to extend it for another 2 years.
UK Citizenship by Investment
Since the UK investor visa makes way for settlement in the UK, it is also known as UK Citizenship by Investment.
To get a UK Citizenship by Investment you first need to get a settlement permit in the UK, You can do so after a particular period in the UK with an Investor visa. This period depends on the amount of money that you invest, as follows:
- You can apply to settle in the UK after 2 years if you invest £10 million.
- You can apply to settle in the UK after 3 years if you invest £5 million.
- You can apply to settle in the UK after 5 years if you invest £2 million.
After 12 months in the UK with a settlement permit, you are eligible to apply for UK Citizenship by Investment. You will need to pay a fee of £1,330 in order to apply.