VisaGuide » Europe » UK Visa » Short Stay Visas » Short Term Study Visa
Complete guide to the UK short term study visa for student visitors, preconditions, requirements to apply, the application process and more relevant details.

The UK short stay student visa UK’s short-term visa to participate in a temporary study program, lasting up to 6 or 11 months. It is limited into study courses for learning the English language, and short term study programs or research projects which are part of main foreign degree-awarding studies.

All internationals coming out of the EEA area or Switzerland, are required to apply for a UK short stay study visa.

UK Student Visitor Visa preconditions

To apply for a UK short term study visa you have to pass general grounds for UK visa refusal. You cannot be younger than 16 and must have a reserved seat in the intended course/research program, in an accepted education provider here, excluding state-funded schools. You shouldn’t intend to remain in the UK when your visa expires. Furthermore, you need to own enough money to pay your onward and backward travel, your accommodation, living and study costs without depending on the UK public funds.

If you’re 16 or 17 of age, you need to have a prearranged care all through your travel and stay in the UK, and the authorization of your parent (s)/legal guardian.

Specific preconditions depending the sort of temporary studies you’ll do here, include:

  • To partake in a short term English language course. The course must entirely teach the English language as a foreign language.
  • To participate an exchange program in the UK as a part of foreign degree studies. The course has to be part of main academic studies you’re completing in a foreign country. The foreign academic institution has to be accredited nationally, must not offer full-time studies in the UK, and must have study program that is equal to an UK degree.
  • To conduct a research in the UK as a part of foreign degree studies. The research has to be part of a foreign degree-awarding course held in a foreign country. Such foreign course has to be equal to a UK degree, and the research must be held in a recognized education provider or publicly-funded an academic institution here.

On the other hand, working or self-employment while visiting UK with a short term study visa are not permitted.

Where I can study with a short-stay study visa for the UK?

Accepted education providers in the UK to take up temporary studies at, with a short-stay study visa are:

  • Accredited institutions with a valid Tier 4 license.
  • Education institutions within the following list:
    • Accreditation Body for Language Services
    • Accreditation Service for International Colleges
    • Accreditation UK
    • Bridge Schools Inspectorate
    • British Accreditation Council
    • Education and Training Inspectorate (in Northern Ireland)
    • Estyn (in Wales)
    • Higher Education Funding Council for England
    • HM Inspectorate of Education (in Scotland)
    • Independent Schools Inspectorate
    • Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted)
    • Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education
    • Schools Inspection Service
    • Recognized education provider.

How to Apply for a UK Short-Stay Study Visa?

The application for this visa is done online, from out of the UK. You’ll have to also appoint a meeting at the UK visa application centre abroad, to submit your application evidences and your biometric information. You can apply 3 months before the expected travel date, the earliest.

The process is similar to all UK visas, and you can visit the UK visa application article for more information.

What are the required Documents to Apply for a UK Short-Stay Study Visa?

To apply for a UK temporary study visa, along with the standard documents required for a UK visa application you must send specific required evidences, to proof your intention to study here. Documents must be originals, unless they’re translated versions into English or Welsh, from a foreign language.

Specific documents to apply for a UK visitor study visa are:

  • Proof of a reserved seat in the short term study course in the UK.
    • Formal letter of acceptance on a study course. It must give details about the course subject, its length and costs.
  • Proof of your earlier education.
    • Degree awarding certificates.
    • Academic transcripts of grades.
    • Academic references.
  • Proof of your English language skills.
  • Details about your accommodation.
  • Details about your travel itinerary. It has to include the dates of your planned onward and backward journey.
  • Additional documents if you’re 16 or 17.
  • Parents/legal guardian letter of consent. It must show in writing their approval for your visit, and must include their contact details.
  • Appointed carer’s letter of consent. It must be issued by an approved carer (appointed guardian by parents/legal guardian), must show their willingness to care of you during your stay here.
  • School letter confirming that the UK local authority is informed about your visit. (If you’re a disabled person, or under a foster care arrangement). This letter must confirm that the school where you’ll be studying here has informed the local authority for your travel and about who’s going to give care of you while being here.
  • Notification letter from the UK local authority for receiving information from the school.

If you’re under 18 and traveling alone, you have to add in your short-stay visa application form, the person who’ll accompany you, by writing their ID information and passport number. Up to 2 people can join you as your accompanies in your visit. Yet, they’ve to make a separate visa application to accompany you.

How much does it Cost to Apply for a UK Temporary Student Visa?

You’ll have to pay £97 or £186, to apply for a UK short term study visa with 6 or 11 month validity period.

For How Long can I Remain in the UK with a Student Visitor Visa?

With a UK short term study visa you may stay here for the following periods:

  • Up to 6 months. If you’re 16-18 of age, expecting to participate in an English language course. Or, if you’re 18 or older expecting to conduct a research study.
  • Up to 11 months. If you’re 16 or older expecting to participate in an English language course.

Can I Extend or Switch my Student Visitor Visa?

No. You cannot extend further your initial period of a UK short term study visa. Switching from another visa into this is impossible as well as switching into another visa from this one.

Did you find this page helpful?
Yes No
Scroll to Top