VisaGuide » Europe » UK Visa » Short Stay Visas » Parent of Tier 4 Child Student
To acompany the child who is on a Tier 4 Child visa, parents must obtain the Parent of a Tier 4 Child visa.

Parent of a Tier 4 Child Student Visa is a UK short stay visa that is issued to parents intending to accompany their child who is younger than 12 years old, to study at an independent school in the UK. The Tier 4 Child visa does not allow dependents, therefore the parents can join their children with a short term visa instead.

Who Needs a UK Parent of a Child Visa?

You must obtain a Parent of a Tier 4 Child visa to come and stay in the UK, if you hold a nationality of a country outside the EEA countries or Switzerland.

What Are the Preconditions to Apply for a Parent of a Tier 4 Child Visa?

  • Relationship with the Tier 4 Child. You have to be a parent of a child under the age of 12 applying for, or already holding a Tier 4 Child Student Visa.
  • Studies of Your Tier 4 Child. Your child must be/must expect studying at in the UK at a fee-paying independent school.
  • Maintenance Requirement. You must have money to cover costs for yourself, your Tier 4 Child.
  • Relationship with the Remaining Dependent Family. You must be able to finance the remaining dependent family members in the home country, during the period of stay here.
  • You Must Not Intend to Permanently Remain in the UK.
  • Money to Leave the UK. You should have enough money to pay for your travel towards another country when leaving the UK at the end of the visit.

How to Apply for a Tier 4 Child Visa as a Parent?

When applying for a Parent of a Tier 4 Child Student visa you are required to follow the usual steps as for any other UK visa application.

You should submit your Parent of a Tier 4 Child Visa in the following period of time:

  • Applying From the Abroad – Maximum 3 months before you are planning to leave your country to the UK.
  • Applying From the UK to Extend or Switch – You must be in the UK and you have to apply minimum 4 weeks expiration of your current Tier 4 Child Parent Visa.

Compiling the document file

Documents you are required to submit when applying for a Parent of a Tier 4 Child Visa are:

  • Standard Documents to Apply for a UK Visa.
  • Evidence of Maintenance Funds as a Parent of a Tier 4 Child.
  • Your bank/other financial institution’s statements.
  • Formal letter of employment. Issued by your home country employer, containing your employment period, wage, job position and company’s contact.
  • Documents showing you as the business owner (If self-employed).
  • Proof of financial undertaking by a third party (when appropriate). This applies if a person who’s a UK resident accepts to cover your maintenance costs, such as a business, relative, or a friend.
    • Third party’s bank/other financial institutions statements.
    • Employment letter issued by the third party’s employer.
    • Proof of incomes from self-employment of a third party.
  • Employment Letter. Confirming that you are given a leave from your current work for traveling to the UK.
  • Letter from the educational institution. Stating that you are granted a leave from studies and that you are a full-time student in such institution.
  • Proof of relationship with the Tier 4 Child.

Note: Depending on your situation, you may be required to submit further evidences.

Maintenance and Accommodation Requirements for a Parent of a Tier 4 Child Student visa

You will need to have the following money to apply for a UK visa as a Parent of a Tier 4 Child:

  • When You Make an Application Same Time with Your Tier 4 Child. These money:
    • Enough to cover your Tier 4 Child study fees for up to 1 academic year.
    • £1,535 for up to 9 months (plus £615 – if more than 1 child is applying for Tier 4 Child Visa same time with you).
  • When You Apply Separately (is your child already holds a visa). Sufficient money to pay your, your Tier 4 Child and other dependent’s maintenance costs. This takes account of:
    • Living costs.
    • School fees.
    • Accommodation costs.

What I Am Allowed To Do in the UK with a Parent of a Tier 4 Child Visa?

These are the activities you are permitted doing in the UK as a Parent of a Tier 4 Child:

  • Live in the UK for as Long as the Tier 4 Child Has a Valid Visa and they are under 12.
  • Apply to Extend Your Visa Period.
  • Get a Voluntary Job.

What I Am Not Allowed to Do in the UK with a Tier 4 Child Parent Visa?

When in the UK with a Parent of a Tier 4 Child Visa, you cannot do the following actions:

  • Using the UK Public Funds and Benefits.
  • Switch into Another Category of a UK
  • Apply for Settlement Permit.
  • Get a Paid Employment.
  • Bring Other Family Members as Your Dependents.
  • Stay in the UK When Your Child Reaches the Age of 12 or Completes Their Studies.

How Long Can I Stay in the UK with a Tier 4 Child Visa?

The period of stay you can be decided as a Parent of a Tier 4 Child is the following:

  • 6 or 12 Months – when applying for the initial visa (entry clearance).
  • No Longer than 12 Months at a Time – every time applying for an extension (further leave to remain).

Note: you will be given less EC visa period if your Tier 4 child will become 12 or will complete their studies in the upcoming 12 months.

Tier 4 Child Visa Application Processing Time

This is how much you are expected to wait for a decision on your Parent of a Tier 4 Child Visa application:

  • Application submitted from abroad – not more than 3 months.
  • Application from the UK for an extension – up to 8 weeks (using the standard service) and on the day you apply (through the premium service).

How Much Does It Cost to Apply for a Tier 4 Child Parent Visa?

You have to pay £516 on the occasion of applying for a Parent of a Tier 4 Child Visa from the abroad. When applying for a visa extension, you have to pay £1,033/£1,643 for a standard/premium service.

Did you find this page helpful?
Yes No
Scroll to Top