VisaGuide » Europe » UK Visa » Short Stay Visas
Types of UK short stay visas, information about them, how to extend them, requirements, limitations, visa fees and more.

A UK short-term visa is an entry authorization for visa nationals visiting the UK on a temporary basis. There is a range of reasons for visits up to 6 months or 12 months depending on the visa type, upon which you may get a visa in this category.

What Are the types of UK Short-Stay Visas?

Depending your purpose of visiting the United Kingdom, here are the types of UK Short Stay visas:

UK standard visitor visa

The UK Visitor visa, is also called Standard Visitor visa. It is issued for visiting your relative or a friend, or tourism. You’ll have to get this visa also if you are expecting to participate in a creative or sport activity, or to get a special private health care.

You are not allowed to get a job or become self-employed while you are in the UK with a visitor visa. There is a possibility to participate in a study program of length not more than 30 days, for as long as it doesn’t become your main activity.

UK short-term study visa

The UK short-term study visa is issued to attend a short-term study or training program in the UK that can last from 6 to 11 months.

You cannot enroll in full-time study program or a get a job while in the UK with this visa

UK Transit Visa

With the UK Transit Visa you can transit through the UK for up to 48 hours on your way to a different country. Different rules apply, depending the length of your stay in the UK during your transit and if you qualify or not for a UK border check.

UK Permitted Paid Engagement Visa

The UK Permitted Paid Engagement Visa is issued to get a short-term paid work, lasting up to 1 month, as an expert on a particular subject area.

You can’t work or get self-employed in another job except for the one you’ll be given a UK Permitted Paid Engagement Visa for. Studying is allowed with this visa, for as long as it doesn’t last more than 30 days and doesn’t affect your activity for which you have been given this visa.

UK Marriage Visitor Visa

You can get a UK Marriage Visitor Visa if you want to visit the UK for not more than 6 months to get married.

You cannot work or get self-employed by this visa, however you can study for as long as it doesn’t last more than 30 days and doesn’t become your main activity in the UK.

Parent of a Tier 4 Child Visa

The Parent of a Tier 4 Child Visa is issued to visit the UK for 6 up to 12 months for accompanying your child who is on a Tier 4 Child visa.

You cannot get employed or self-employed, neither study on the grounds of this visa.

UK Visa for a Chinese Tour Group

To visit the UK for up to 30 days, as a part of an Approved Destination Status Agreement (ADS) Chinese tour group.

You cannot get employed or self-employed, or study while visiting on this visa.

How Long Does it Take for A UK Short-Stay Visa to Process?

You will typically have to wait up to 3 weeks to receive a decision on your application for a UK short-term visa.

When to apply for a UK short-term visa?

It is advisable for you to apply 30 days before your travel.

What are the Document Requirements for a UK Short Stay Visa?

Besides the main required documents for a UK visa, the specific documents required to apply for any UK short-stay visa are:

  • Recent bank statements as proof of financial subsistence.
  • Letter of invitation by a UK resident. The host can be a friend or relative, or a business operating in the UK. It has to be supported with documents showing identity, nationality, living address and financial status of such host.
  • Evidence of your current status.
  • Letter confirming you are a student. (If you are a full-time student). It has to be issued by a recognized education provider, confirming you are a student. This must be accompanied by the permission for absence in studies during your visit to the UK.
  • Letter of employment confirmation. (If you are employed). It should be issued by your employer confirming your employment length and your job position. This has to be supported by the permission for absence in the workplace during your visit period.
  • Business registration papers. (If you are a self-employed person). They must show you as the business owner and the starting date of your business activity.
  • Evidence of your reason for visiting the United Kingdom.
  • Tuberculosis test results. (If you are from a country that must take the test ).

What is the appropriate format of documents for UK short-stay visas?

Documents you provide to support your application for any short-stay visa for the UK must be original. When these documents are originally in a foreign language, they must translated in English or Welsh by authorized translators or translation firms. They must also contain confirmation in writing that they’re accurately translated, date of translation, details and contacts of the translator.

Did you find this page helpful?
Yes No
Scroll to Top