Before you take a trip to Turkey or decide to apply for a Turkish visa, you should always check whether you need a visa, or you are exempt.
Note that only the citizens of Turkey and Northern Cyprus are eligible to travel in and out of Turkey without any permission, for whatever reason. Nationals of the other countries of the world, may or may not need a visa depending on the relations of Turkey with that particular country, and a few other factors.
Following in this article, you may find out whether you need a visa to enter Turkey according to your nationality and purpose of your trip.
Countries Exempt from Turkish Visa
Currently, the nationals of 78 countries and territories do not need to get a visa before traveling to Turkey for tourism or commercial purposes. Depending on the permitted period of visa-free stay, there are several lists. Check these lists given below, to see if your country belongs to any.
Nationals of the following countries can travel to Turkey without a visa and stay here for three months within half a year, in an interrupted or uninterrupted period:
|Belize||Bolivia||Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|Saint Kitts and Nevis||San Marino||Serbia|
|Switzerland||Tajikistan||Trinidad and Tobago|
Nationals of the Russian Federation can enter Turkey visa-free as well, and stay here for up to 90 days within half a year, without exceeding the maximum of 60 days per visit.
Whereas nationals of Azerbaijan, Belarus, Brunei, Costa Rica, Latvia, Macao, Mongolia, Thailand, and Turkmenistan can stay in Turkey for up to 30 days per visit, and 90 days per six months.
You will be able to enter Turkey visa-free if you are a citizen of one of the following and you meet the given conditions:
- You are a national of Cyprus and you are a resident of Northern Cyprus directly arriving from Ercan International Airport or seaports of Famagusta, Kyrenia, or Karavostassi. You can stay in Turkey for a maximum stay of 90 days within 180 days if you meet this condition.
- You are a national of Libya younger than 13 years old or 65 and older. You can stay in Turkey for a maximum stay of 90 days within 180 days if you meet this condition.
- You are a Palestinian with a VIP passport.
Who Needs a Turkey e-Visa?
Holders of passports of the following 40 countries and territories can obtain e-Visas online for a small fee prior to arrival. The duration of stay for most of these nationalities is 90 days (30 days for some) within 180 days.
|Antigua and Barbuda||Armenia||Australia|
|Dominica||Dominican Republic||East Timor|
|Saint Lucia||Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||Saudi Arabia|
In addition, 63 world countries and territories are eligible to apply for a single entry e-visa for tourism and business to stay in Turkey for up to 30 days:
|Central African Republic||Chad||Comoros|
|Côte d’Ivoire||DR Congo||Djibouti|
|Republic of the Congo||Rwanda||São Tomé and Príncipe|
|Solomon Islands||Sri Lanka||Sudan|
If you are a national of these countries, you must meet the following conditions in order to apply for an e-visa:
- You hold a valid visa or residence permit from a Schengen Area member country, Ireland, the UK, or the US. Citizens of Gabon and Zambia do not need to meet this condition.
- You will be traveling to Turkey with an airline that has protocols with the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Citizens of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, and the Philippines do not need to meet this condition.
- You have a hotel reservation and the required financial means.
- Citizens of Algeria must be between 18 and 35 years old.