A Turkey Student Visa is a permit to enter Turley for purposes related to education. It enables the foreigner to settle in Turkey temporarily by applying for a residence permit. It is granted to persons who want to do an internship in Turkey, or attend a course or enroll at an educational institution, a school or a university.
Do I Need a Turkey Study Visa?
Aside from students from the Northern Republic of Cyprus, all other world citizens need to get a visa in order to travel to Turkey for study purposes.
Exempt from the Turkish Study Visa requirement are the following:
- International students that want to complete a bachelor or master degree in Turkey, who have previously completed their secondary and high education in Turkey.
- Students, whose parents are in Turkey with a work visa and residence permit.
- Blue Card Holders.
If you want to apply for another type of visa for Turkey and you are unsure, whether you need it or not, check our article on who needs a Turkish Visa.
How to Apply for Turkey Student Visa?
Applying for a Turkey Student visa means completing a number of procedures, including collecting several documents and attending a visa interview. Find all these procedures listed and explained following in this article.
When to Apply
You are highly recommended to lodge your application for a Turkish student visa on time, in order to avoid any problems. The time frame for Turkey student visa submission is as follows:
- The earliest you can apply: 60 days before your intended departure to Turkey.
- The latest you are permitted to apply: one month prior to your trip.
Where to Apply
You will need to submit your application for a Turkish study visa at the Turkish embassy, consulate or a third-party visa application center, located in your country of residence. Note that the Turkish embassy is the sole authority responsible and eligible to process your application and give a decision on your case.
Select the right student visa for Turkey
When you apply for an Education visa for Turkey, the online form will give you the opportunity to select one of the following, accordingly:
- Internship visa
- Internship ERASMUS
- Internship AIESEC
- Turkish Language Course Purpose
- Course Purpose
- Education Purpose
- Education in the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
Get your Letter of Acceptance or its equivalent
Whether you are applying to study at a university in Turkey, to attend a course or to do an internship, you should present proof of that. A Letter of Acceptance, or its equivalent will be required from every person applying for a Turkish study Visa.
Make sure you have this letter in your hands, before you proceed with the rest of the application procedures.
Complete the online form at the pre-requirement system
As when applying for any other type of Turkish visas, you will first need to complete the online form at the pre-requirement system.
After you complete this form, you will receive an appointment date for your visa interview.
Required Documents to Apply for a Turkey Student Visa
The required documents to apply for a Turkey Student Visa are as follows:
- Completed Turkish student visa application form.
- Your valid passport.
- Biometric photographs in compliance with the Turkey visa photo requirements.
- Proof of booked flight tickets.
- Travel insurance for your entire stay in Turkey.
- Letter of acceptance indicating that you have been accepted by an education institution in Turkey. The letter must indicate the duration of your stay.
- Proof of paid fees for the educational program you are about to attend, if applicable.
- Previous diplomas, certificates and transcripts.
- Proof of financial resources. The Turkish authorities want you to show that you have enough money to live in Turkey during your studies, and pay the study fees. You will need to present some documents as an evidence. This could be:
- Your bank statements, proving you have the required amount.
- Letter of Scholarship, if applicable.
- Letter of sponsorship, if your parents or another person will be sponsoring your stay and education in Turkey.
- Proof of accommodation. Depending on where you will be staying while in Turkey, you will need to present a document as proof of accommodation.
- If you will stay at a dormitory, present a document that proves you have a reserved place.
- If you have been invited to stay over at friends or relatives in Turkey, then you need to present a letter of invitation from the host.
- If you have rented a place for yourself, then present a rent agreement signed by both, you and the landlord.
Turkish Student Visa Appointment
On the day of your interview, you should show up at the Turkish embassy or consulate in your country of residence. You will attend a short interview with a consular officer, who will ask you a few questions regarding your trip.
Make sure you have all the required documents with you. If you miss even one, you may be rejected immediately, and you will need to start the whole process from the beginning. Remember that the interview is also a crucial factor in whether you will get the visa or not. Make a good impression!
Turkey Student Visa Application Processing
The processing of a Turkey visa application depends on the country from where you are applying. While in some countries you can get an answer within three days, in others the average may be about 15 working days.
You can track the status of your application at the same website from where you started your application.
After You Arrive in Turkey
When you travel to Turkey with a Student Visa, upon arrival you must register at the nearest local police department in Turkey. You should then apply for a residence permit at the Provincial Directorate of Migration Administration.
After you get the residence permit, known in Turkish as “ikamet”, you can live in Turkey, open a bank account and do many more things. Six weeks before the expiration of your ikamet, you should apply for its extension.