A family visa allows its holder to move to a foreign country to live and join their partner or other close family members. In Slovakia, you need to have a visa for family if you are the spouse of a Slovak citizen/resident or have family members living in the territory of the Slovakia Republic, and want to join them.
Who Needs a Family Visa for Slovakia?
You need a family visa for Slovakia if:
- You are the spouse of a Slovak citizen or of a foreigner who has a residence permit in Slovakia.
- You are the child (under 18) of a foreigner who is the spouse of a Slovak citizen with a permanent residence in Slovakia.
- You are a Slovak citizen’s child (under 18), and you wish to live with your parent in Slovakia.
Types of Slovakia Family Visa
Before applying for a family visa, make sure to know the type of family visa you need to apply for:
- Foreigners who are married to a Slovak citizen and want to live together with their spouse in the territory of Slovakia must apply for a family reunification visa.
- Family members of foreign employees in Slovakia who have obtained a work permit can apply for a family visa for accompanying family members of foreign workers to join their husband/wife and take children with them in Slovakia.
Documents Required for a Slovakia Family Visa
Here are the documents you are required to submit for a family visa application:
- A complete and signed application form (in the Slovak language)
- Valid passport with at least six months validity period.
- Family registration documents (family book).
- Proof of financial means.
- Proof of accommodation in Slovakia.
- Police certificate proving a clear criminal record.
- Proof of paid visa fee and administrative fees.
- Documentation for your language skills, work, and education.
- Documentation that your partner meets the requirement for housing .
- Documentation that states your partner meets the requirements for permanent residency.
- Children under the age of 18 (Minors)
- Birth certificate
- Parent’s marriage certificate
Please contact the Slovak authorities for further instruction and ask if you need to submit additional documents.
Your documents issued by official authorities in your country, such as birth certificates, or marriage certificates, must be translated into Slovak by a certified translator and legalized or authenticated by an apostille stamp. Furthermore, your documents must not be older than 90 days.
How to Apply for a Slovakia Family Visa?
You have to apply for a Slovakia family visa at the designated Slovak embassy— the process for a Slovakia family visa application includes these steps:
- Book an appointment. Locate and contact your country’s nearest Slovak diplomatic mission and book an appointment. Do not show up without an appointment.
- Complete the application. Complete and sign the family visa application. Answer every question with sincerity and do not leave blank answers.
- Gather all documents. The embassy or consulate where you apply for a family visa will ask you to submit a number of documents together with your visa application.
- Submit the application. After you complete the application and collect every document from the checklist, you can continue to submit the family visa application. You cannot apply online therefore, you must apply in person.
- Attend the interview. The embassy will call you for an interview to ask you questions about your visa application before reaching a decision.
- Wait for a response. After completing the application and interview, you will be notified if your visa has been approved.
After You Arrive in Slovakia
You need to keep in mind the following timelines after your family visa is issued and you enter Slovakia:
- You must enter the territory of the Republic of Slovakia within 180 days of your visa being issued.
- You must report your residence to the Foreign Police Department within three days of entering the country.
- You must obtain health insurance within three days of collecting your residence permit.
- Within 30 days of entering the country, you must submit documentation proof of health insurance to the Foreign Police Department.
Slovakia Family Visa Processing Time
The processing time for a Slovakia family visa to be approved is 30 days. After that, the embassy will notify you regarding your application status. Once the embassy approves your family visa application, you will receive your Slovak residence permit after you enter the country and register your residence.
How Much Does the Family Visa for Slovakia Cost?
The administrative fee you are required to pay when applying for a Slovakia family reunification visa is €60. Afterward, you’re also required to pay a fee of €135 to obtain a residence permit on the basis of family reunification— the fee is reduced to €132.50 if you apply for the permit at the Foreign Police Department after entering the country.
How Long Can I Stay in Slovakia With a Family Visa?
If the Slovak embassy approves your application and grants you a family visa, you will obtain a residence permit, valid for five years. After five years, you can apply for a permanent residence permit and eventually obtain citizenship in the Republic of Slovakia.
Can I Work in Slovakia With a Family Visa?
Yes, you can work in Slovakia with a family visa. However, you must apply for a work permit within 12 months of receiving your residence permit. After 12 months, you can continue working without a permit.
Can I Study in Slovakia With a Family Visa?
You can freely study in Slovakia with a family visa. Furthermore, your children are eligible to continue their studies or begin school in the Republic of Slovakia.