How Much Does a Schengen Visa Cost?
The Schengen member countries have agreed on the cost of the visa fee, for all those who wish to apply in order to obtain a Schengen visa. The Schengen visa fees are:
|35€||Children from the age of six years and below the age of 12 years old|
|Free||Children under the age of six|
Schengen Visa Fee Waivers
The European Union has also concluded a Visa Facilitation Agreement with the nationals of several countries, according to which the citizens of these countries shall pay a lower fee of 35€. These countries are Kosovo, Georgia, Russia and Ukraine.
The visa fee is waived for applicants that belong to one of the following categories:
- Children younger than six years old,
- School pupils, students, postgraduate students and accompanying teachers who undertake stays for the aim of study or educational trainings,
- Researchers from third countries travelling in order to carry out scientific research,
- Representatives of nonprofit organizations aged 25 years or less participating in seminars, conferences, sports, cultural or educational events organized by nonprofit organizations;
- Family members of EU/EEA citizens, falling under Directive 2004/38.
Schengen visa fees may also be reduced or waived for people belonging to one of these categories:
- Humanitarian reasons in cases of major accidents or other similar emergencies,
- Holders of diplomatic or service passports,
- Members of the staff accredited by a diplomatic mission, and
- Researchers from third countries travelling for the purpose of carrying out scientific research as defined in Recommendation 2005/761/EC of the European Parliament.
Individual Schengen member states may offer other optional visa fee waivers. Check at the embassy or consulate of your destination country in your home country, where you intend to apply, in order to learn more in this regard.
Visa Fee Payment Options
The Schengen visa fee can be paid in the designated consulate/embassy via cash. Generally, checks or credit cards are not accepted at most of them. The Schengen visa costs include the visa fee and the service fee.
If the country you live in uses other currency, you can pay in that currency (i.e. Naira) as per current exchange rate approved by the Embassy.
In Case of Visa Rejection
In case of visa application rejection or if you decide to terminate your application, the fee will not get reimbursed. If you apply again for a visa, you will have to pay the visa fee again. Payment of the visa fee and the service fee does not guarantee that you will be granted with a visa.
You will probably be charged with a service fee, if you submit the application at an external service provider. On the other hand, if you choose to get your passport sent to your home by the consulate or embassy via registered express mail (some countries offer you that possibility), you will have to pay for courier return charges.