What is a Russia Humanitarian Visa?
A Russian humanitarian visa is a type of Russia visa that permits its holder to enter Russia for purposes as:
- Establishing, renewing or strengthening academic, cultural or socio-political ties.
- Taking part in sports.
- Religious activity.
- Charitable work.
- Supplying humanitarian aid.
A Humanitarian visa can be a single entry, double entry or multiple-entry. Single entry and double entry humanitarian visas can be valid for up to three months. A multiple-entry humanitarian visa can be valid for up to one year.
EU citizens are the only ones that can get multiple-entry visas up to five years valid. This is due to the Russia-EU visa facilitation agreement.
Who Needs a Russia Humanitarian Visa?
If you want to travel to Russia for any of the reasons mentioned above, you may have to apply for a Russian humanitarian visa. Yet, there are several categories of travelers, who do not need a visa to Russia for these purposes.
How to Apply for a Russia Humanitarian Visa?
You will need to complete some procedures to apply for the Russian humanitarian visa. First, check if you need a humanitarian visa, or you can enter Russia visa-free. Based on the information given above, you must have figured that out by now. Then, you can proceed with the application process for a Russia humanitarian visa.
The application process consists of these simple and quick steps:
- Check the validity of your passport. Before you do anything else, check the date of your passport’s validity. Note that your passport must be valid for at least another six months after the date you leave Russia.
- Get the Invitation (Visa Support). Your Russian host company/organization is responsible to get the invitation for you.
- Complete the online Russia Humanitarian visa application form. You can find the form on the website of the Russian Foreign Ministry. After you submit the form online, print it and sign it.
- Collect the required documents for a Russian Humanitarian Visa. There are several documents, which you need to select and submit as a part of your application. You can find the list of the required documents for a Russia Humanitarian visa listed below.
- Submit your Russian Humanitarian Visa application. You have to submit the application at a Russian Consulate or Visa Processing Center in your country. You must submit your application in person.
- Pay the Russian Humanitarian Visa fee. The costs of a Russian humanitarian visa range from over 30 EUR to under 300 EUR. You may have to pay in cash or complete the payment through the bank. The fee is nonrefundable.
After you complete these steps, wait for the processing of your application. If the embassy grants you with a visa, you will have the visa sticker affixed in your passport, when you collect it.
After you arrive in Russia
Upon arrival in Russia, you will receive a card at the port of entry. It is known as the immigration card and consists of two identical parts. You should fill in both the information required. One part of the card will remain at the border police, and the other one you should take with you.
Then, if you will be staying in Russia for more than one week, you need to register your visa. The registration process depends on the place you will stay in.
- At a hotel: the hotel is responsible to register the visa for you.
- At a private home: the owner should register the visa for you. You may have to pay a small fee in this case.
The hotel or homeowner will need the photocopies of some documents to register the visa. These documents are:
- Your Passport Data Pages.
- Russian Humanitarian Visa.
- Immigration Card.
Required Documents for Russia Humanitarian Visa
The main part of the Russia humanitarian visa is collecting the required documents. You should pay attention to each of these documents. They are crucial for a positive decision by the embassy on your application.
- Introductory letter from your company/organization. The letter must give full details on you, your destinations, dates and purpose of the entry. It should state the inviting organization name and contact details of the responsible person in Russia. The letter must explain who will take financial responsibility for you, as well.
- Visa Support for humanitarian visit. Any of the following will be accepted as visa support for humanitarian visits:
- An invitation of the Ministry of Interior of the Russian Federation. You should ask your Russian host for this invitation. It is required in either paper form in original, or an electronic form.
- An invitation of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation. Your Russian host should request this invitation at the Russian Foreign Ministry. The ministry will then pass the invitation to the embassy in your country. Your host should provide you with the six-digit number of the invitation. You should present this number to the embassy, when you submit your application.
- A copy of a direct inviting letter. Your Russian host can write a direct invitation. The document should be printed on the official paper of the company/organization. The head of the company/organization should stamp and sign it.
- Health insurance policy document. This requirement is only for citizens of EU countries, Iran, Iceland, Israel, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, and Switzerland. The document must be issued by a foreign insurance company or a Russian insurance company and contain:
- Your full name.
- The date when the agreement was signed.
- The policy number and full details of the insurer.
- The dates of validity. Note that for single entry and double entry visas the policy must cover the entire period of stay in Russia. On the other hand, for multiple-entry visas, it must cover the duration of the first trip.
- The list of medical services that the insurance covers, including repatriation in case of death.
- The geographical area coverage the insurance covers. It must include Russia.
Remember that the Russian embassy may ask you to submit extra documents to make your case. You may as well get an invitation for a visa interview if the embassy officials see it necessary.
Russia Humanitarian Visa Fee
The costs for a Russia Humanitarian visa range from over 30 EUR to under 300 EUR. There are several factors based on which the Russian embassy calculates the cost for a Russian Humanitarian visa. These factors are as follows:
- Your nationality.
- The number of intended entries in Russia with a humanitarian visa.
- The length of the intended period of stay. More entries, higher visa costs.
- The length of time within which you need your visa processed. The shorter the time the more expensive the visa costs.
Check the Russia Visa Costs to find out how much you need to pay for a humanitarian visa to Russia!
How Long Does It Take to Get a Russia Humanitarian Visa?
The average processing time for a Russia Visa is 10 days. Yet, the processing can take from seven to 20 working days. If you need the visa within a short period, you can apply for expedited processing. It takes three working days to process and costs quite more than normal processing.