VisaGuide » Europe » Netherlands Visa » Proof of Income for Netherlands Visa
Income requirements for a Dutch visa application

Any foreign national who comes into the Netherlands with a Dutch visa for any length of time must prove that they can financially support themselves for the duration of their stay. If, for some reason, the foreign national cannot support themselves, they must have a sponsor in the Netherlands who can provide for them.

In any case, there are income requirements that the applicant and/or their sponsor must provide to the Dutch authorities in order for their visa/residence permit application to be processed. So, the person who is applying for a Dutch visa must give a Netherlands Proof of Income that meets the standards set by the Dutch authorities.

What are the Netherlands Proof of Income Requirements?

If you want to go to the Netherlands to live, work, or visit family for any length of time, you must prove that you are able to financially support yourself. Similarly, if you are sponsoring someone to come to the Netherlands, you must also have a specific amount of income to be eligible.

The Dutch authorities refers to your social security salary (SV-loon) when checking whether you meet the amount requirements for Netherlands. They use the SV-loon to calculate how much taxes and social security contribution you pay. The VS-loon is stated on your payslip.

Proof of Income Calculator

Use the calculator below to determine the Netherlands proof of income requirements for each category, based on your social security salary (SV-loon), as of January 2019:


What Counts as Netherlands Proof of Income?

If you are:

  1. a Dutch citizen/resident who will be sponsoring a foreign national;  or
  2. a foreign national who will be working in the Netherlands as an employee; or
  3. the partner of A or B

you can provide Netherlands proof of income through the following methods:

  • Your current employment contract
  • Recent (no older than three months) Appendix Employer’s Declaration; completed and signed.
  • Payslips from the past three months.

In addition:

  • If your salary comes from a third party from a Personal Budget: Proof you have outsourced your salary to the Social Insurance Bank (SVB).
  • If your contract is valid for less than 1 year and/or you work as a temporary agency worker/seasonal worker or have a zero hours/ on-call contract: The annual income statements and salary slips for the past three years; all employment contracts and confirmations and specifications of any received benefits for the past three years.

If you are:

  • a researcher pursuant to Directive (EU) 2016/801 or his/her partner

you can provide Netherlands proof of income through the following methods (as applicable):

  • Sponsor agreement showing the amount of sponsor funds you receive.
  • Proof of periodic payments in order to pay for your stay in the Netherlands.
  • Proof that shows the amount as well as the start and end date of the grant/stipend you receive.
  • Copy of employment contract.
    • If employed by the research institution, both parties must sign the contract.

If you are:

  • A self employed; or
  • The partner of a self-employed individual

you can provide Netherlands proof of income through the following methods:

  • Appendix declaration of income
  • All required appendices, completed. They must be signed by you and one of the following:
    • A registered accountant
    • Accounting consultant
    • Tax consultant from the Tax Consultants Federation/Association
    • An accountant who has a BECON number from the Tax and Customs Administration

If you are:

  • The director-major shareholder of a company; or
  • The partner of a director-major shareholder of a company

you can provide Netherlands proof of income through the following methods:

  • Official documents showing your ownership percentage
  • Copy of employment contract/s
  • An original, completed, dated, and signed Appendix employer’s declaration. It must also have the company’s stamp and it cannot be older than three months.
  • Payslips and bank statements over the last three months, confirming you received a monthly salary.
  • Bank statements showing that the company transferred your wage tax to the Tax and Customs Administration.

If you are:

  • The recipient of a supplementary benefit (or the partner of one)

you can provide Netherlands proof of income through the following methods (as applicable):

  • Letter from your benefit agency.
  • Specifications of the most recent benefit you received.
  • Confirmation of the benefits you receive that show you are unable to work (and to what degree).
  • The most recent assessment of your disability.
  • If you receive social assistance and you are unable to work again: Confirmation of all benefits awarded over the past 5 years; correspondence with the Municipal Executive in regards to your exemption in entering the workforce; proof you cannot enter the workforce within 1 year.
    • Not applicable if you have applied for a permanent residence permit.


If you receive income from your own funds: Tax statements for the past year.

Did you find this page helpful?
Yes No
Scroll to Top