What is an Iceland Schengen Visa?
An Iceland Schengen visa is a short stay visa for Iceland, which is a uniform permit that allows the holder to travel throughout Iceland and the whole territory of Schengen. It is issued by one of the 26 Schengen Area member states. It permits the visa holder to stay in the Schengen territory for a maximum of 90 days, within a six-month period.
Is Iceland part of Schengen Area?
Yes, Iceland is a member of the Schengen Area. The island country first signed the Schengen agreement on 19 December 1996. It signed a second agreement, which replaced the first, on 18 May 1999 following the incorporation of the agreement into EU law with the Treaty of Amsterdam. Iceland finally started the implementation of the agreement on 25 March 2001.
Who Needs a Schengen Visa for Iceland?
If you are planning to travel to Iceland for a short trip, the first thing you need to do is check if you need a visa to enter the country.
Your nationality defines whether you need a visa or not. If you are a national of one of the countries that fall under the Schengen visa regime, you will have to apply for a visa to Iceland.
Check “Who needs a Schengen visa to enter Iceland?” to learn more in this regard!
Iceland Schengen Visa Types
There are a few Schengen visa types, according to the purpose of your trip to Iceland. The visa type determines the documents you will need to submit for your visa application. It also determines what you will be permitted to do during your stay in Iceland.
The Iceland Schengen Visa types are as follows:
- Iceland Airport Transit Visa. Apply for this visa if you only need to land at an airport in Iceland without the need to leave the international area of the airport, to take a flight to your non-Schengen destination. Note that this visa permits you to stay in an Iceland airport for a maximum of 24 hours!
- Iceland Tourist Visa. Apply for this visa if the purpose of your trip is a vacation in Iceland, sightseeing or similar.
- Iceland Visitor Visa. If you have friends or relatives in Iceland who have invited you to visit them, apply for a visitor visa.
- Iceland Business Visa. Businesspersons who need to travel to Iceland in order to engage in business-related activities should apply for a business visa. LINK
- Iceland Study Visa. Apply for this visa if you wish to enter Iceland in order to attend a study course, training or similar.
- Iceland Medical Visa. If you are seeking health treatment in Iceland, which takes less than three months, then you should apply for this visa.
- Iceland Official Visitor Visa. All members of delegations traveling to Iceland on an official visit should be in possession of an Official Visitor visa to Iceland.
- Iceland Schengen Visa for Cultural, Sports and Film Crews. When traveling to Iceland to attend a cultural or sports event, or as a member of a film crew, you need to apply for this visa, prior to your trip.
If your purpose of traveling to Iceland does not match any of the purposes listed above, you can still tick “other” in your application form. You will also need to collect the documents that prove your purpose of entry according to the reason behind your trip.
Required Documents to Apply for an Iceland Schengen Visa
A very important part of your application process for an Iceland Schengen visa is the collecting of the required documents. Following, find which are the documents you need to submit for an Iceland Schengen visa:
- The basic requirements for an Iceland Schengen Visa, which include:
- Required documents according to the purpose of entry, as i.e.:
- Letter of Invitation, if you are visiting friends or family relatives
- Hotel booking, if you are traveling as a tourist
- Invitation letter by the company, if you are traveling to perform business-related activities
- Doctor report, if you are traveling to Iceland to seek medical treatment.
Application Process for a Schengen Visa to Iceland
There is a very specific application process for an Icelandic visa, which consists of several steps. Take care to follow these steps as explained further.
First, figure out the following:
- If you need a visa to Iceland or not. If you do, proceed with the steps listed below:
- Which visa type matches with the purpose of your trip.
- Where you need to file your application.
- When is the right time to apply for a Schengen visa to Iceland.
Then, you can start the application process for an Iceland Schengen visa. The process consists of the following steps:
- Fill in the application form for a Schengen visa. The application form for a Schengen visa contains questions regarding to your identity, the purpose of your trip to Schengen and your previous trips to Schengen if any. Complete this form, print it twice and then sign both copies at the end.
- Collect the required documents. Collect all the basic required documents for an Iceland Schengen Visa. Make sure the documents comply with the criteria set per each. Proceed to collect the required documents according to the purpose behind your trip to Schengen. Arrange these documents in order and take all of them with you on the day of your interview.
- Schedule an appointment for a visa interview. It is necessary for you to make a visa appointment for an interview. Note that Schengen embassies and consulates do not accept walk-in applications. In most of the countries, you will be able to schedule a visa interview online. However, in some others, you will have to make this appointment in person.
- Attend the visa interview. On the day of your interview, show up at the appointment center on time. Bring all your documents with you. Make sure they are well organized and none is missing. The interview will last around 10 to 15 minutes, during which the interviewer will ask you several questions. These questions are about you, your background, profession and family, as well as the purpose of your trip and the arrangements you have made.
- Pay the visa fee. The way the payment for a visa fee is completed is regulated differently in countries across the globe. In some, you will need to pay the fee online, whereas in some other at the beginning of your visa interview, in person. The fee for an Iceland Schengen visa is €60.
- Wait for the processing of your visa. After the interview, all that is left for you is to wait. The processing of an Iceland Schengen visa takes around 10 to 15 days.
Where to Apply for an Iceland Schengen Visa?
Embassies and consulates of other Schengen countries around the world represent Iceland in terms of visa admission.
Check the list of the diplomatic bodies that represent Iceland in every world country!
What If My Iceland Schengen Visa Is Rejected?
If you receive a negative answer in your Iceland Schengen visa application, this does not mean you cannot ever travel to Iceland. In fact, you have two options.
- File an appeal for Iceland Schengen visa rejection if you believe that the decision to deny you a visa is unjust. You should have a strong basis for your complaint. You can appeal this decision by writing an appeal letter for an Iceland Schengen visa rejection.
- Reapply by correcting the mistakes you did in your previous application. Or improve your situation in order to comply with the eligibility criteria for an Iceland Schengen Visa.
Can My Iceland Schengen Visa Be Revoked?
Yes, your Iceland Schengen visa can be revoked, if the conditions for issuing the visa are no longer met by you.