There are many Iceland visa types for various traveling purposes. So, for every visa type there are specific documents required to support your Iceland Visa application.
Iceland Visa Requirements
As per every other visa to any world country, you will need to prove you fulfill the conditions for a visa to Iceland. The required documents for a visa to Iceland are a crucial part of your visa application.
The Iceland visa requirements are grouped into two categories:
- The standard required documents for any Iceland visa – which every applicant needs to submit, no matter the purpose of entry.
- Documents regarding purpose of travel to Iceland – which vary from one visa type to the other, and prove your purpose of entry to Iceland.
The standard required documents for a visa for Iceland are as follows:
- Iceland visa Application form. Fulfill the form in your computer with clear and correct information. The form contains questions about your identity and purpose of trip to Iceland. Make sure the information you give in this form complies with the information in the rest of the documents. After you complete it, print it, and sign it at the end.
- Two photos. The photos must be no older than three months, in compliance with the rest of the Schengen visa photo requirements.
- Valid passport. Your passport must be issued within the last 10 years. It must be valid for another 3 months beyond the date you plan to leave Iceland. Make sure it has at least two blank pages in order to affix the visa sticker.
- Copies of older visas. If you have had any visa to the Schengen states or any other country in the world, submit copies of them.
- Travel Medical Insurance for your entire stay in Iceland. You are obliged to purchase travel insurance to enter Iceland. Your insurance must cover the whole territory of the Schengen Area and unforeseen illnesses or accidents with a minimum coverage of €30,000.
- Complete travel itinerary for your trip to Iceland. A document issued by an airline, which confirms you have a reserved flight from your home country to Iceland and back. It contains information as your flight name, departure/arrival timings along with dates, your flight code and your flight reservation/booking numbers.
- Proof of financial means. The Icelandic authorities want you to prove you have enough money to financially maintain yourself during your stay in Iceland. You must prove you have at least 145€ per each entry, and around 29€ per each day that you plan to spend in Iceland.
- Proof of accommodation in Iceland. You will need to show proof that you have arranged where you will be staying throughout your time in Iceland. This could be one of the following:
- Hotel booking for the whole period you plan to remain in Iceland.
- Rent Agreement with an Icelander host, for the whole period of your stay in Iceland.
- Invitation letter by a host in Iceland, in which the host invites you to stay at your place as long as you are in Iceland.
- Proof of civil status. This could be your birth certificate, marriage certificate etc.
Iceland visa required documents for minors
- Birth certificate
- Iceland application form should be signed by both parents.
- Family court order, in cases where only one parent has full custody over the child.
- Certified copies of ID / passport of both parents
- A notarized parental authorization to travel to Iceland, signed by both parents / guardians, if the minor will be travelling alone with another person
Iceland visa requirements based on your occupational status
If you are employed:
- Employment contract
- Current bank statement for the last 6 months
- Leave permission from the employer
If you are self-employed:
- A copy of your business license
- Bank statement for the last 6 months
If you are a student:
- Proof of enrollment
- No-objection certificate from school or university
If you are retired, submit your pension statement of the latest 6 months.
Documents to Provide at Iceland Port of Entry
To enter Iceland you need to fulfill several requirements, which prove you are eligible for entry. Note that at the Iceland port of entry, you will need to show several documents to the border officer, regardless if you need a visa or not.
The Iceland entry requirements are as follows:
- Travel document/passport – which must be valid for at least three more months beyond your planned stay in Iceland.
- Valid visa – if you fall under the Schengen visa regime.
Note that additional documents, which prove your purpose of entry, may be required from you at the Iceland port of entry. It may be an invitation letter by an Icelandic host, proof you have the financial means for a trip to Iceland or a round-trip ticket.
Iceland Visa Requirements Regarding the Purpose of Travel
You will need to submit several additional documents, which prove the purpose of your trip to Iceland.
Following find the required documents for the most common purposes of travel to Iceland.
Required documents for a Visa for Official Visit:
- The official invitation copy
- Evidence about the purpose of journey (meetings, consolations, negotiations etc.)
Required documents for a Medical Visa:
- A medical report from a doctor in your country of origin
- A medical attestation from the hospital in Iceland
- Proof of completed financial arrangements
Required documents for a Study Visa:
- Acceptance letter from the educational Institution.
- No objection letter from the educational institution where you are currently enrolled at.
Required documents for a Visa for Cultural, Sports and Film Crews:
- Invitation letter from the relevant body in Iceland with details upon the nature of events or
activities that are to be held in Iceland.
- Entry tickets to the event.
- Enrollment conditions.
- Detailed program of the event in Iceland.