There are plenty of reasons why one should put Hungary on their travel bucket list. The country is famous not only among European citizens but also among tourists around the world.
Even though visiting Hungary sounds like an amazing idea to many people, there is a special category of travelers that must go through a visa application process to obtain a Hungary Tourist (Schengen) Visa.
With a Schengen visa, you can enter Hungary for 90 days and stay in the country.
Do I Need a Tourist Visa to Visit Hungary?
Everyone who belongs to one of the categories below does not need a tourist visa to visit Hungary:
- Member states of the European Union.
- Member states of the Schengen Agreement.
- Individuals recognized as refugees and stateless people.
- Individuals who do not hold any nationality but are residing in a Schengen Member State for a long time and hold a travel document issued by that Member State.
- National from third countries who have been granted asylum or treatment as stateless people and hold a travel document issued by countries listed under Annex II of Regulation (EU) 2018/1806.
- Nationals from third countries participating as flight crew and attendants on emergency rescue flights to help in accidents or catastrophic events.
- Third-country nationals whose travel document was issued by the UN, the Council of Europe, and the International Criminal Court.
- Civilian flight crew and attendants.
- Sea crew.
- The civilian crew of ships navigating in international inland waters.
- Holders of diplomatic passports.
- Third-country holders of diplomatic or service passports. (according to the bilateral partial visa waiver agreements)
Is Hungary Part of Schengen Visa?
Yes, Hungary is part of the Schengen Area and shares the same rights as the other 25 state members.
Hungary signed the Schengen agreement in April 2003 and started implementing it in December 2007. The agreement allows citizens from the member countries to travel freely within the Schengen Area.
Document Checklist for Hungary Schengen Visa
Enclose the following documents when applying for a Hungary Schengen Visa:
- Valid passport. Submit a valid and original passport issued during the last ten years. The passport should contain two blank pages and must have validity for at least three months after your departing date from Hungary.
- Visa Application Form. Fill out the application form correctly in English and sign it at the end. You need to be precise about the information you provide and avoid false information. Print out the form and submit it to the Hungarian diplomatic mission.
- Passport-sized photograph. Attach one recently taken photo of yourself, not older than three months. The photo should be in a passport-sized format following the photo requirements for Schengen Visa.
- Travel insurance (medical). Valid travel health insurance that covers the costs of your medical prescriptions and your flight back to your home country, with a minimum amount of 30.000€.
- Accommodation document. An invitation letter sent from the Migration Department of Hungary, which includes information about the host and the invited party (you), and the place of accommodation. If you do not have an invitation letter, you can use a hotel reservation, Airbnb, rental agreement, etc.
- Flight itinerary. Enclose details of your flight such as the entry/depart dates, etc.
- Cover letter. Write a cover letter and state why you are traveling to Hungary and your travel itinerary during the time you will be here.
- Proof of civil status. Documents that show your relationship status, e.g., whether you are married, divorced, widowed, or in a relationship.
- Proof of financial provision. Submit a bank reference with information on your bank account to prove you have enough financial income to support yourself during your whole trip to Hungary.
- Employed: (The documents you submit must serve as proof that you have no debts and your monthly salary.)
- A reference from the employer.
- Work reference stating your monthly income.
- A registration certificate of the company (VÖEN).
- Reference from the Ministry of Tax of AR about the tax report for the last six months.
- For individual private entrepreneurs: Reference from the State Social Protection Fund under the Labor and Population’s Protection Ministry of AR.
- Reference letter from University.
- Address and contacts of the educational institution
- Signature and stamp of the person in charge.
These documents can be submitted as copies:
- Passport pages and Schengen visas received in the last three years (if applicable).
- ID Card.
- Travel Health Insurance.
- Return Flight Ticket Reservation.
- Marriage Certificate (if you are traveling with your spouse).
How to Apply for a Hungary Schengen Visa?
Here is how to apply for a Hungary Schengen visa:
- Choose the visa type. The visa type you choose depends on the purpose of your travel. In this case, you have to choose “Hungary Tourist visa.”
- Schedule an appointment. Visit the official website of the Ministry of Affairs and Trade, fill in the required information, and book an appointment with the Hungarian diplomatic mission.
- Fill in the application form. Complete the application form specific for a Schengen Tourist visa, and sign it at the end. Print out the application form and submit it to the Hungarian Embassy you are applying from.
- Compile all documents. Read the document checklist below to find out what documents you need to attach to your Hungary visa application form.
- Pay the visa fee. Pay the required fee and provide proof of payment by submitting the payment receipt.
- Submit the application and documents. Submit the application together with the documents you collected to the designated Hungarian embassy.
- Attend the interview. Even if you do not need a visa, the Hungarian embassy can still invite you for an interview. In this case, you must make sure to be there on time, or you will miss your interview.
- Wait for a response. The embassy will notify you about whether your Hungary visa application has been approved or rejected.
Hungary Schengen Visa Processing Time
The processing time for a Hungary Schengen Visa usually takes 15 days. However, the processing time can take longer if there are extraordinary cases. For example, individual cases can take up to 45 days.
Hungary Schengen Visa Fee
The fees for a Hungary Schengen visa are listed in the table below:
|Children between the ages of 6-12||€40|
|The beneficiaries of the visa facilitation bilateral agreements signed by the European Union. (Russian Federation,Ukraine, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Cape Verde, Serbia, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, NorthMacedonia, Montenegro, Moldova, and Georgia).|
Hungary Schengen Visa Duration
A Hungary Schengen visa authorizes its holder to a single, double, or multiple entries for a maximum of 90 days within 180 days. The days are counted from the date of your first entry to Hungary.
A single-entry visa allows you to enter Hungary once, whereas a multiple-entry visa allows you to enter the country more than once, and you can also visit other member states besides Hungary.
Can I Extend a Hungary Schengen Visa?
A Hungary Schengen visa extension can only happen in exceptional cases if anything happens after you enter the territory of Hungary.
Before applying for a Schengen Visa extension, make sure to complete all the required documents needed for the extension process.
Can I Study in Hungary With a Schengen Visa?
A Schengen visa allows you to stay in Hungary for the purpose of studying for the period of its validity. Students can study in Hungary for three months with a Schengen Visa. If you want to continue your education for a longer period of time, you should apply for a Hungary Student visa and get a residence permit for study purposes.
Can I Work in Hungary With a Schengen Visa?
A Schengen visa does not permit you to work in a Member State. Everyone who wants to find a job or work in Hungary must have a work visa. After obtaining a work permit, you need a residence permit for employment and can continue your stay in Hungary.
Places to Visit in Hungary
Hungary is one of those destinations where tourists can enjoy and experience new things without spending too much. The central Europe country is famous for many museums, three opera houses, and thermal baths.
Here are some places you should not miss when visiting Hungary as a tourist.
- BUDAPEST. A city rich in culture and architecture, Budapest is definitely a must-see for everyone who visits Hungary. Budapest is the capital of Hungary and is famous for underground caves, the Danube River, and beautiful buildings. While in Budapest, you can see The Hungarian Parliament Building, the Hungarian State Opera House, the Chain Bridge, the National Museum, etc.
- CAVE BATH OF MISKOLCTAPOLCA . The Cave Bath of Miskolctapolca is unique and offers many great benefits. Visitors can relax and enjoy the warm temperature water and the cave’s climate, where you can bathe for an unlimited time. The bath is amazing for people who have joint problems. The most famous thermal baths in Hungary are the SZÉCHENYI, GELLÉRT, RUDAS, LUKÁCS, and the KIRÁLY baths.
- HUNGARIAN PARLIAMENT BUILDING. A landmark of Hungary and a popular tourist destination in Budapest, the Parliament Building should not be avoided. The beautiful building is an example of the Gothic Revival architecture style and is currently the largest building in Hungary.
- HORTOBÁGY NATIONAL PARK. The Horobágy National Park is one of the largest protected areas in Hungary and the largest semi-natural grassland in Europe. The area is rich in fauna, with 342 species of birds and around 1,900 Przewalski horses. Hungary has its own cowboys called Csikós, so do not be surprised if you see cowboys during your visit.
- LAKE BALATON. Lake Balaton is the largest lake in Central Europe and an attractive destination for tourists. It is the perfect place to spend a relaxing day with your family and enjoy the delicious food, wine, and scenery. The lake is safe to swim with approximately 300,000 people bathing in it every day.