Getting a visa to Germany is not an easy task. There is a whole visa application procedure that you will have to follow step-by-step, in order to be able to enter the Federal Republic of Germany and to carry there the activities you wish to.
One of the main and crucial parts of your Germany visa application is the collecting and submission of the required documents for the visa you wish to obtain.
Depending on the type of visa for Germany, you wish to apply for and the purpose under which you wish to enter the Schengen Area, there are some documents that the embassy wants you to submit. You are required to submit these documents mainly to prove that you are eligible to travel, you have the means to remain in Germany, and you fulfill other criteria as set per each visa type.
Germany Visa Requirements
Here are the documents required for a Germany visa application:
- Germany Visa Application Form.
- Valid Passport.
- Two identical Germany Visa Photos.
- Proof of Accommodation in Germany.
- Transportation / Round trip reservation or itinerary.
- Adequate Health Insurance Coverage.
- Proof of Financial Means.
Germany Visa Application Form
You should start your application procedure by fulfilling the German visa application form. Click here to access the German visa application forms.
- If you are applying for a German short stay visa, you need a Schengen visa application form.
- If you are applying for a German long-stay visa, you should complete two National visa application forms.
Give detailed and accurate information about yourself and the purpose of your travel that complies with the information in the other required documents. Print the form and sign it at the end.
Your passport has to be valid for a minimum of 6 months before the due date in order to be eligible to apply for a visa for Germany. It should also fulfill the other passport requirements, as having one blank page in order to be able to affix visa sticker in it. Keep in mind that your passport will remain at the embassy throughout the time of your application processing.
Two identical Germany Visa Photos
Two photos for your Germany visa application are mandatory. They must fulfil all of the German visa photo requirements, including being in the right size, color and face position.
Proof of Accommodation in Germany
A document that shows you have a place where you will be staying throughout the time you are in Germany, must be presented to the visa officer. This document could be a hotel booking, a rental agreement, a letter of invitation by a host, or proof you own a house/apartment in Germany.
Transportation / Round trip reservation or itinerary
A booked flight ticket, train ticket or a ticket of other means of transport should be submitted as a proof of the date you will enter and leave Germany and the transport you will use to reach there.
Adequate Health Insurance Coverage
A document, which shows you have purchased travel insurance valid for Germany and the rest of Schengen area, covering medical emergencies throughout the whole time you will be staying in Germany, is mandatory. If you intend to stay longer and have applied for a long-stay visa to Germany, you should check the German health insurance options.
Proof of Financial Means
According to the European Commission information, a foreign applicant applying for a German Visa must be able to attest possessing 853€/month to the German Embassy or Consulate for the period of stay in German territory. This could be a bank statement, a letter of sponsorship by another person, a combination of both, or a blocked bank account for students.
Germany Visa Required Documents for Minors
In addition, to the commonly required documents, you will have to submit some extra documents for a Visa for Germany for your underage children:
- Original birth certificate. If it is in neither German nor English, a certified translation must be attached to it.
- Application form signed by both parents. Minors have to complete the same application form as all travelers, except that both parents, instead of the visa candidate, should sign it.
- Consent of both parents. If the minor will be traveling alone the consent of both parents represented by a signature in the application form and a formal letter is requested.
- Consent of one parent. If the minor is traveling with one of the parents, the consent of the other parent is still required.
- Custody court order. Required only in cases where only one parent has full custody over the child.
- Certified copies of ID/passport of both parents.
Germany Visa Required Documents Based on Employment Status
You need to submit additional documents depending on your employment status, as explained below.
If you are employed, you will have to submit the following documents:
- Employment contract. The document must state your position and the date you started working there.
- Current bank statement of the latest 6 months.
- Leave permission from the employer. The permission must state that the company permits you to take the annual leave during that period.
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary.
If you are self-employed, you will have to submit the following documents:
- A copy of your business license.
- Company bank statement for the latest 6 months.
- Income Tax Return (ITR).
If you are unemployed but married to an EU citizen, you will have to submit the following documents:
- Confirmation of Employment letter. If the spouse is an employed citizen of Germany, you should submit proof on that. This confirmation must be no older than three months and must state the position held within the company as well as the starting date.
- Spouse’s valid passport.
- An official marriage certificate.
If you are retired, you will have to submit the following documents:
- Pension statement of the latest 6 months.
If you are a student, you will have to submit the following documents:
- Proof of enrollment. A document issued by a tertiary educational institution that confirms your enrollment there.
- No objection letter from school or university. This is a formal letter from your educational institution, which confirms you are permitted to be absent during the time of the trip.