The German healthcare system is among the best in the world. Over two thousand hospitals and clinics in Germany offer the full range of up to date treatments. The government strictly supervises each of them regarding hygiene, safety, quality and prices.
That is why a large number of people from abroad enter Germany every year seeking better medical treatment for their health condition.
Many of these patients may need a visa to enter Germany. Those who need less than three months to receive their medical treatment, can enter Germany with a Short Term Medical Treatment. Whereas, those that need to remain in Germany for a period longer than three months to receive their treatment, should apply for a German long stay Medical Treatment Visa.
Who Can Obtain the Medical Treatment Visa?
Every international with health issues is able to seek medical treatment in Germany. However, depending on your country of origin you may need a visa to enter the country. You will be exempt from the visa requirement, only if you are a passport holder of one of the following countries:
- European Union
- New Zealand
- South Korea
- United States of America
Applicants from the rest of the world countries must obtain a visa in order to seek medical treatment in Germany.
Germany Medical Visa Requirements
If you are considering Germany for medical treatment for your health condition, then you should follow some procedures before applying for a visa. Find these procedures listed below step by step:
- Find the hospital or clinic you want to be treated at, and contact them.
- Send them the medical diagnosis from the doctor in your country of residence and every other document you have regarding your condition. The medical team of the hospital you have contacted might ask you for some extra documents regarding your health condition. Take care to provide them all.
- If they agree to treat your medical condition, they will come up with a treatment plan and provide an estimated cost of treatment.
- After you establish the method of payment, the hospital / clinic will send you a letter of invitation. Only then, you can start your visa application.
Required Documents for a Germany Medical Visa
As per every other visa, you are required to submit several documents to the German embassy/consulate in your country of residence. The required documents for a Germany Long-Stay Medical visa are as follows:
- Documents required for a Germany Visa.
- Personal covering letter with entire travel plan (itinerary).
- Leave letter of your company (if employed).
- Confirmation that specific medical treatment is needed. A certificate from a medical doctor from your home country or elsewhere confirming the need of specific medical treatment, which can be provided in Germany.
- Medical treatment appointment confirmation. A certificate from a medical doctor in Germany confirming that the necessary treatment can be provided and an appointment has been made.
- Proof of advance payment of the treatment / financial arrangements with the medical doctor in Germany.
- Correspondence between the sending medical doctor and the receiving medical doctor.
*Note that all documents need to be presented in the original, with two A4 size copies. Do not staple any of the documents.
Germany Medical Visa Application Process
The application process for a Germany medical visa consists of a few steps that you should follow in the given order. These steps are as follows:
- Fill-in the application form on your computer,
- Collect the required documents for a Germany Medical Visa, as given above.
- Make an appointment through the website of the German mission in your country, embassy or consulate. It is recommended to apply for a visa at least 3 weeks before your scheduled trip in order to avoid any processing delays.
- Attend the interview. On the day of your appointment, show there on time with all of the required documents arranged in order.
- Pay the visa fee.
When you receive your visa sticker, check it for possible mistakes. Pay particular attention to the visa start and end dates, the correct spelling of your name, as well as the number of entries you were granted.
Can I Extend My Medical Treatment Visa?
If your health has not improved and you need to receive medical treatment for a longer period than foreseen, then you can apply for Medical Treatment Visa extension. The hospital where you are beating treated for your medical condition can help you a lot in this regard.
Appoint a meeting at the foreigners’ registration office of the city where you are receiving medical treatment in Germany. On the day of the appointment, bring all the documents you have with you.
A letter or a document from the hospital showing that you need to stay in Germany for a longer period in order for your conditions to improve, is vital.
Can I bring family members with me?
If the person who wishes to receive medical treatment in Germany is underage then the legal guardian will be allowed to accompany him or her. Contact the German embassy / consulate in your country and ask them for further details.
The same might apply to cases when the person who needs medical treatment is so ill, that he or she needs a family member (or other depending on the case) to stay next to them to complete procedures and take care of other stuff.
Please note that if you are only planning to travel to Germany for a health check-up, and you do not have any diagnosis regarding your health condition, then you are not eligible for this type of visa. You will have to apply for different type of visa depending on your situation.