The shortage of skilled workers in many sectors and professions in Germany, specifically in engineering, manufacturing and the IT sectors, as well as health specialists, has pushed the Federal Government to try and find other solutions in order to fill the labor gaps.
Thus making Germany an open gateway to those seeking attractive job opportunities through the Germany Job Seeker Visa which is a part of the German National Visas.
What is the Germany Job Seeker Visa?
The Germany Job Seeker Visa is a German National long stay visa that was established in August 2012. The main idea is to lure more qualified experts from abroad to come to Germany. Through this visa, one can come to Germany, attend interviews and find a job.
However, job seekers are not allowed to work in Germany under this type of visa.
Who Needs to Apply for a Germany Job Seeker Visa?
Nationals of the European Union member countries, as well as nationals of the member countries of the European Economic Area, and the European Free Trade Area can come to Germany and search for a job without the need to obtain a visa first.
Citizens of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand and the United States of America too, do not need to apply for any visas, in order to enter Germany and seek for a job. However, they must apply for a temporary residence permit upon their arrival in Berlin, directly at the Immigration Office.
Nationals of other world countries need to first obtain a Job Seeker Visa in order to be able to enter Germany and search for employment.
Germany Job Seeker Visa Eligibility
The applicant must also fulfill several criteria in order to be eligible to apply for the Germany job seeker visa, as follows:
- The possession of a Bachelor or Master’s Degree from a German university or an equivalent foreign degree.
- Have a relevant (a minimum of 5 years) of experience in your related field of interest/study.
- Show proof that you have sufficient funds to cover your whole stay in Germany.
- Show proof of travel or medical insurance for your entire stay in Germany or until you get your Work Permit.
In addition, it is highly recommended that you have German Language ability. Though English proficiency is sufficient to qualify for the visa, it would be better for you if you at least knew basic German.
Documents Required for Germany Job Seeker Visa
Whether you will get the Germany job seeker visa, all depends on your background, documents, application form, and interview. So take care to gather all the necessary documents for German visa application and submit them correctly.
The documents for the Germany Job seeker visa you are required to hand in during your interview at the appointment center in your country of residence (embassy or consulate), are as follows:
- A cover letter. Explain the objective of your visit, how you plan to find employment, and your alternative career plans if you cannot find a job.
- Proof of academic qualification. Diploma of your degree or any other proof of academic qualification from a German or non-German university. Attach any certificates of previous work experiences as well.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Blocked bank account as proof of financial resources.
Note that all documents must be produced in German or English or together with a translation into German provided by a translator recognized by the embassy. All official documents must be provided in a translated, attested and legalized version. Depending on the embassy or consulate in your country they may ask for extra documents.
Germany Job Seeker Visa Application
The application procedure for a German Job Seeker visa is very similar to the application procedures for other types of German visas.
- Collect the Germany Job Seeker visa required documents. First of all, get a list of all the required documents. Keep in mind that depending on your country of residence they might ask you for extra or fewer documents. Gather the required documents and photocopy each original twice.
- Complete the German Job seeker visa application form. Complete the application form online carefully and correctly, print it twice and sign it at the end.
- Make an appointment. Appoint an interview through the website of the German mission in your home country. The appointment might take up to three months, therefore, take care to make the appointment as soon as possible in order to avoid any possible delay.
- On the day of the appointment. Show up at the appointment center on time (embassy or consulate). Remember that if you are late even for a few minutes, then they will probably cancel your appointment. Make sure you have all the necessary documentation with you.
- Pay the Job Seeker Visa Fee. After you pay the visa fee, you will be issued a receipt which will need to collect your processed application.
How Long Can I Stay in Germany with a Job Seeker Visa?
The Germany Job seeker visa holders can stay in Germany for up to six months in search of a job in their field. Once they find the job they must convert it into an employment residence permit. Once you get a job you have two possibilities:
- you can either apply for an EU Blue Card, or
- you can apply for an employment residence permit
EU Blue Card
In order to be able to get the EU Blue card you must have an employment offer of at least 44,800 euros annual gross salary. In case you are a specialist in the field of mathematics, IT, life sciences or engineering the annual gross salary must be at least 34,944 euros.
After just 33 months with an EU Blue Card, you can obtain a permanent residence permit in Germany. In case you prove your German Language ability to be of level B1 then you can get the permanent residence permit just after 21 months.
Germany Employment Visa
As per the German Employment Visa, in most cases, the Employer will sponsor it, but if not you will need to do it on your own. You can get the permanent residence permit after 5 years in Germany with an employment visa.
With this visa, you can bring your family with you through the Family Reunion Long Term Visa. To do so, you and the family members must fulfill the requirements for this type of visa.