Germany Electronic Residence Permit (eAT)

Information about the Electronic Residence Permit for Germany

///Electronic Residence Permit (eAT) 
Electronic Residence Permit (eAT)  2018-01-24T11:50:56+00:00

Same as other EU countries, Germany (ever since September 2011) has generally replaced the classic gluey residence title – a sticker attached to the passport of the holder, with the new EU uniform electronic residence -“eAufstststitel”, which is a residence title, in the form of a credit card – totally detached from the passport and much easier to carry, with greater data security, and with broader options for use.

This card is manufactured by the Bundesdruckerei and the replacement of all the old residence titles with the new eAT is expected to happen until the 31 August 2021 at the latest.

The card has a certified chip included, where the biometric information (photos and two fingerprints – for age 6 and older), credentials and information on residence rights in Germany of the foreigner, are well and securely incorporated.

The card, despite serving as a residence title, it also plays the role of a qualified electronic signature /online ID, allowing the holder to use it for signing digital documents and using online services including eGovernment services.

The information included in this card is very much safe from being revealed, duplicated or altered – as it needs the prior authorization of the holder.

The following residence titles can be given in the form of eAT:

  • Residence permits, including EU Blue Card
  • EU long-term residence permit
  • Settlement permits
  • Residence card for foreign family members of EU/EEA citizens
  • Permanent residence card for foreign family members of the EU/EEA citizens
  • Residence permit for Swiss citizens and their foreign family members (upon their request)

The application for this card is done in person at the Foreigners’ Authority, and the following are requirements/documents to apply:

  • A finished application procedure to get a particular residence permit
  • A national passport (or equal document)
  • Biometric photograph and two fingerprints
  • Specific documents/depending on the case – the Foreigner’s Authority must be contacted to get the list of specific requirements prior to applying

Pictures of the card:

The fee to get an electronic residence title for residence permit for not more than 1 year 100 Euro and more than 1 year 110 Euro. The extension of a residence permit for not more than 3 months is 65 Euro, while for more than 3 months is 80 Euro. Settlement permit and the EU long-term residence permit is 135 Euro, while settlement permit for highly qualified foreigners is 250 Euro and for foreigners settled as self-employed is 200 Euro.

When the eAT is lost or stolen

The foreigner whose eAT has either been lost or stolen must report to the police either by electronic mail, a telephone call, as well as by directly visiting the police station.

The holder can deactivate the online ID function to prohibit any possible abuse of information, only by calling in a nationwide blocking hotline (0180-1-33 33 33 /). Otherwise, they might do that at the Foreigner’s Authority.

The holder of a stolen/lost eAT case is required to enter the blocking password as well as the PIN (secret 6-digit number) when wishing to block the online ID option, or the PUK (10-digit number) when wishing to unblock the same option later. Such password and PINs are given to the foreigner before they actually receive the eAT, printed on a letter- known as PIN letter.

When the online ID is blocked through the help of the blocking hotline, the Foreigner’s Authority must be informed that their eAT is blocked.

The foreigner must go to the Foreigner’s Authority when wishing to unblock the eAT, due to safety reasons.

There is no fee to block the eAT, while to unblock it there is a fee of 6 Euro for adults and 3 Euro for minors.

When the unblocking PUK is lost, the foreigner must have their passport with them at the Foreigner’s Authority, when wishing to unblock their online ID.

When the foreigner changes their living address in Germany

A holder of an electronic residence title, having changed their living address, they have to also replace the old one with the new address in the eAT or at the civil office.

The passport and the eAT must be submitted when applying for the change of address in eAT.

When the holder registers their new living address at the civil office, they get the confirmation of address registration. In such case the holder of eAT is not required to apply for change of address in the eAT.