A German Business Visa is a short-stay visa, and a Schengen Visa type. It permits its holder to perform business-related activities in Germany. It also entitles its holder to move through the 26 Schengen countries, except in the cases when he/she has an LTV visa.*
*An LTV (Limited Territorial Validity) tag on the Germany visa sticker means that the visa holder cannot travel to the other Schengen countries.
How to Apply for a Germany Business Visa?
The application process to get a Germany Business visa is quite similar to the application process for a Germany Schengen Visa. You only need to follow some steps according to the given instructions. These steps are:
Find out whether you need a Business visa for Germany
Persons traveling to Germany to attend business related activities may need a business visa to enter the country. These activities include meeting clients, meeting partners, taking part in a particular business fair, etc.
You will be exempt from the German Business Visa only if you are a national of one of the 62 Schengen visa-exempt countries.
Collect the required documents
To apply for the Germany Business visa you are required submit several documents. You should bring the following documents to your appointment for a Germany Business Visa:
- The standard required documents for a Germany Schengen Visa.
- The German business visa application form.
- Your company bank statements. These statements should belong to the period of three previous months.
- Business references. They could be either from your collaborators, clients or other competent persons.
- Invitation letter from the business partner in Germany. This document should be either in English or German. It shall include your details, the dates and purpose of the trip with detailed schedule of the business meetings or trainings (day-to-day schedule), as well as information on the inviting business collaborator.
- Company covering letter with entire travel plan. The letter should mention your position, duration of your service, the dates and purpose of the trip and if your expenses are being covered by the employer or not.
- Business license. This is a document showing the eligibility of the sending company to do business.
Appoint a visa interview
If this is your first time applying for a Germany Business visa, you should check with the German authorities in your country where to apply. This could be:
- The German embassy.
- A German consulate.
- A Visa Application Center.
However, the decision on your visa application is taken by the German embassy, or the main consular office.
If You Will Be Traveling to Other Schengen Countries
If you will be traveling to other Schengen countries as well, during the same trip, things may change a bit. Before applying for a Germany business visa, check if Germany is your main destination, which means:
- You will spend fewer days in the other Schengen Countries than in Germany.
- You will enter Schengen through Germany, but you will spend equal days in every Schengen country you visit.
Pay the visa fee and attend the interview, on your booked day
The application for a Business Visa for Germany costs about 60€. Yet, the nationals of several countries are permitted to pay a lower fee of only €35. Check the list of these nationals here!
When to Apply for a German Business Visa?
The best time to apply for a German Business visa is about one month before your planned trip. In fact, the earlier the better, as thus you may avoid any possible delays. Yet, the earliest you can apply for a Germany Business visa is three months before your planned trip.
Processing Time for a Germany Business Visa
A decision on a Business Visa for Germany is taken within 10 to 15 working days. In individual cases, when further investigation of the application may be required, this processing time may be up to 30 days.
How Long Can I Stay in Germany with a Business Visa?
As it is a short-stay visa, a German Business Visa entitles you to stay in Germany for no longer than 90 days within a period of 180 days.
Yet, it depends on the embassy how long they want to let you stay in Germany with a Business Visa. You could be limited to a lower number of days, i.e. 10 days.
If you get a Singe-Entry visa, you will be able to enter the country only once. If you get a Multiple-Entry visa, you are entitled to enter Germany more than once to use the days of permitted stay.
Can I Establish a Business in Germany with a Business Visa?
German business visa does not entitle you to carry activities of establishing a business, nor launching a business activity in Germany. Instead, if you want to establish a business you should apply for a long-stay visa for self-employed persons.
Can I Get a Job in Germany with a Business Visa?
A German visa is issued for participation in business related activities only. It does not authorize you to work in Germany or in any other Schengen country. If you want to work in Germany, you should apply for a Germany Long-stay visa instead.
Last Updated on