A France Airport Transit visa serves to people who wish to transit through a French airport to another country, without entering into the territory of France, to join a ship in France as well as to stop as an aircraft staff member. This visa falls under the French short stay visa category due to its 24-hour validity.
Whether one needs a Transit visa to pass through France to their destination, it all depends not only on their nationality and category but also whether they are in possession of any other type of visas.
According to your means of transport as well as the reason for entering France, the transit visa types are as follows:
- Airport transit visa “A-visa”
- Seafarer’s transit visa
- Air-companies’ staff members visa
This article will go through the application process and requirements one has to fulfill in order to be able to obtain a Transit visa.
France Airport Transit Visa Application
The airport transit visa is for foreign nationals who have to land at a France airport for stays not more than 24 hours and who do not intend to leave the international zone of an airport, including for a connecting flight within the day.
The A-visa is not intended for foreigners who have to exit the airport transit area when changing flights for traveling towards a non-Schengen country. In such a case, they should get a Schengen regular short-stay visa for France.
Check if You Need to Apply for a France Airport Transit Visa
Only the following categories of foreign nationals are required to obtain an Airport Transit Visa (ATV) in order to be permitted to transit through one of the French airports:
|Belarus||Cameroon||Central African Republic|
|Democratic Republic of Congo||Dominican Republic||Egypt|
|Philippines||Russia (if you are arriving from an airport located in Armenia)||Senegal|
|Sierra Leone||Somalia||South Sudan|
France Airport Transit Visa Exemptions
However, even the individuals that belong to the above-listed categories may be exempt from the France Airport transit visa requirement, if they are:
- Members of airline crews who are nationals of a state party to the Chicago Convention;
- Holders of a valid residence permit, issued by a member state of the European Union or European Economic Space;
- Holders of a residence permit issued by the Principality of Andorra, Japan, Canada, the United States of America, the Principality of Monaco, the Republic of San Marino, which guarantees the unrestricted right of return;
- Holders of a visa valid for a member state of the European Union or European Economic Space, Canada, the United States of America and Japan;
- The family members of a citizen of the European Union or European Economic Space or Switzerland;
- Holders of a valid Schengen visa, long-stay national visa, or residence permit issued by a Schengen state.
On the other hand, airport transit privilege does not apply and you will need to obtain a France visitor visa if:
- You have to pick up your baggage and/or have to check-in again (please verify with your airline) or
- You are transiting through two or more airports in the Schengen Countries (for example London-Frankfurt-Paris-India or New York-Frankfurt-Munich-China) or
- You hold an open ticket.
Collect the Documents for the French Airport Transit Visa
Required documents to apply for a France Airport Transit Visa:
- A passport or travel document (recognized by the France authorities, not older than 10 years, with a validity not less than 3 months of the visa validity, undamaged, and with at least 2 empty pages) + a photocopy of the passport data page
- A duly completed a France short-stay visa application form. You can fill the visa application online here!
- Two recently made passport-sized photos (biometric)
- A visa or other authorizing document to enter in the final destination (valid) + a photocopy
- A round-trip flight ticket reservation
- An official cover letter from the employer saying that the reason for traveling to the final destination is related to the candidate’s work (signed and stamped) + the complete travel itinerary – if traveling for work
- A cover letter written by the candidate telling the reason for traveling to the final destination – if traveling for private issues
- A completed list of children or family members living out of the home country of the candidate (if required)
Requirements for seafarers
- A cover letter from the applicant to tell the reason for traveling (signed)
- A document showing the right for entering into the territory of final destination (if appropriate)
- A valid visa/residence permit – issued from the country of final destination
- Documents showing the reason for traveling
- A work contract revealing the ship’s ensign (nationality), or a letter of appointment
- A letter of invitation from the cruise company or a port agent in France – where the candidate will join the ship (signed with the steal of the company or agency, with landing and sailing dates)
- A confirmation letter from the shipping company hiring the candidate – showing that the reason for the candidate’s travel is to complete a job duty (signed and stamped)
- Candidate’s records book as a seafarer
- Candidate’s valid seafarer’s certificate
- Previous visas held within the past 3 years with entry stamps
- Schengen visa
- US visa
- UK visa
- Canadian visa
- A document showing the health situation
- A medical certificate – showing a healthy candidate, having no transmittable, or otherwise dangerous illness that could be of danger to the public, or any illness that could prevent the candidate to pursue seaman activities
Requirements for Air-companies’ staff members
This visa is for foreign nationals that work in a foreign air company, excluding pilots and flight attendants, traveling on a plane that will be landing in France, and they will have to remain there until the next flight. Applicants need to submit the following documents:
- A document confirming that the candidate is an employee of the airline company
- Airline company staff member ID Card
- An official letter from the airline company – confirming that the visa candidate their worker
- A valid work contract of the candidate with the airline company
France Airport Visa Fees
Visa candidates will be required to pay 60 Euros after submitting the application for getting the French Airport Visa.
Last Updated on