VisaGuide » Europe » Finland Visa » Requirements
List of documents required for a Finland visa

Freedom of movement is something that not all countries enjoy when it comes to international travels in Europe. In order to enter legally in Finland and enjoy your time there, some third-country nationals need to apply for a visa.

The documents that are required for a Finland visa application sometimes can seem unclear. There is an overload of documents that are required and very often the specifics change for various reasons.

Below you’ll find detailed information on the visa requirements for a Finland Schengen visa and for long-term visas.

Required Documents for a Finland Visa

These are the documents that you need to provide when applying for a Finland visa:

  • Visa Application Form.
  • Passport.
  • Picture.
  • Travel Insurance.
  • Financial Means.
  • Copies of Previous Visas.
  • Copy of Your Passport Bio Page.
  • Accommodation.
  • Travel Itinerary.
  • Invitation Letter (if applicable).
  • Cover Letter.
  • Civil Status Documents.
  • Employment Status Documents.
  • Certificate of legal residence.

Visa Application Form

In order to qualify for a Finnish visa, the first thing you should do is fill in the visa application form. This form is mandatory for any type of Schengen Visa. Most of the time the form will be on the official webpage of any foreign embassy or official webpage of the European Commission.

The form requires you to fill in personal information, such as your age, name, social security number, ID number, and so on. Make sure you fill in the form with your up-to-date information otherwise you risk being denied a visa.


When you submit your visa application you need to submit your valid passport which has been issued by your country of residence. Your passport must be valid even three months after you leave Finland, and the issue date must be during the last ten years.

Additionally, your passport needs to have at least two blank pages. Failure to meet these requirements will probably result in visa rejection.

In terms of your passport, you must also provide copies of any previous valid passports that you had.


Another key element of the Finland visa requirements is a recent identity picture. Your picture needs to follow the Schengen visa photo rules in order to be valid.

Travel Insurance

Schengen travel insurance is obligatory when you apply for a Finland visa. The Schengen insurance follows a few set rules. You need to purchase insurance up to the amount of €30,000, which will cover any type of medical emergencies, in any country within the Schengen Area.

These emergencies include:

  • sudden illness.
  • physical injuries.
  • repatriation in case of severe injuries.
  • repatriation in case of death.

Financial Means

Before you visit Finland you are required to provide evidence that you have sufficient financial means to support yourself during your travels. Finland requires at least €30 per day. When you apply for your visa you can prove your financial means through your recent bank statements.

Copies of Previous Visas

If you were issued a Schengen visa before you must provide copies of the visa as well. This is mandatory in cases where it’s applicable.

Copy of Your Passport Bio Page

Since 2015, Finland requires that all individuals that are applying for a visa to provide copies of their passport bio page. This includes children under the age of 14 too.


Proof of accommodation is required when you apply for a Finland Schengen visa. You can attach evidence of hotel reservations, rental agreements, your host’s invitation, or any other type of lodging that you booked.

Travel Itinerary

Sometimes you will be asked to provide a detailed travel itinerary that has information about your flight date, your flight code, your return date, and similar information. The embassies will ask for this type of data in order to make sure that you won’t be staying past your visa deadline.

Invitation Letter

In cases where you’ve been invited by a Finnish resident for a visit, you need to provide an invitation letter from your host. You may also be asked to provide copies of your host’s passport and residence status. Check with your embassy beforehand.

Cover Letter

In the cover letter, you have to clearly state the reason for your visit, how long you will be staying, and when you plan your return.

Civil Status Documents

You also need to hand in civil status certificates, as applicable:

  • Birth certificate.
  • Marriage license.
  • Divorce paper.
  • Family certificate (in case of visiting family).
  • Name changing certificate (in cases where the visitor has legally changed their name).
  • Adoption papers (in cases when travelling with adoptive minors).
  • Foster papers (in cases when travelling with foster children).

Employment Status Documents

Since 2019 Finland requires visa applicants to provide documents stating their employment status.

If you are employed:

  • Copy of your employment contract.
  • Tax income.
  • Bank statement.

If you are self-employed:

  • Business license.
  • Tax income.
  • Bank statements.

If you are retired:

  • Pension statement.

Certificate of Legal Residence

You must provide evidence that you are residing legally in your current country of residence.

Finland Visa Requirements for Minors

The requirements for travelling minors are these:

  • Birth certificate. When minors are traveling to Finland their birth certificate needs to be attached with the application.
  • Passport. Minors should be equipped with their personal travel documents. Most embassies won’t accept a joint passport, so please make sure you ask the embassy.
  • Visa application form. In addition to their personal passport, minors must have a separate visa form and have it signed by both parents/legal guardians.
  • Letter of consent. If the child is traveling alone they need to hand in a letter of consent from both legal guardians stating that the travel is permissible. In cases where the child is traveling alone with only one legal guardian, there needs to be a letter of consent from the remaining guardian.

*Please note that if you apply separately for a minor’s visa then you should attach a notarized letter of consent from the other legal guardian. The letter of consent can’t be older than 12 months.

The request for a letter of consent can be waived in specific cases:

  • Both parents/legal guardians sign the application form in the presence of a visa officer at the embassy and attach copies of their passports to the application.
  • Parents’/legal guardians’ death certificate is attached to the application.
  • There is proof that the whereabouts of the other parent/legal guardian are unknown.
  • There is a certificate from the police stating that the other parent/legal guardian cannot be found.
  • There is a certificate from the court stating that the minor’s parent/legal guardian is a single caretaker.

*Please note that all the required documents need to be both copies and originals.

Where Do I Submit the Collected Documents?

You have to submit your documents at a local Finnish mission. Visas are issued within the country of residence. The embassies/consulates or any other official representation of the Finnish government is in charge of reviewing visa applications.

Should I Translate the Documents?

If your documents are not in English, Finnish or Swedish then you have to translate them. You need to make sure they are translated by a court-certified translator. Most of the time the embassy does not offer translation services.

Should I Legalize the Required Documents?

If you are from a country that is a part of the Apostille treaty you won’t need to legalize your documents, a simple apostille stamp will do.

The Hague Convention of Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents, otherwise known as the Apostille treaty, states that the countries who signed the convention will legally recognize public documents when their residents are travelling through these countries. However, the papers must have an apostille stamp if required, issued most likely by the Foreign Ministry.

If your country does not have an agreement on legalized documents with Finland your documents will probably need to be certified twice before they are valid. The documents need to be certified by the Foreign Ministry, where they originated from, and then from the Foreign Ministry in Finland. The embassy will forward your documents to get them certified.

Keep in mind that sometimes legalization may not be required, you have to check with the embassy as soon as you can.

*Please note that all embassies operate differently and they hold the authority to require any additional documents.

Did you find this page helpful?
Yes No
Scroll to Top