Seasonal Workers Directive

///Seasonal Workers Directive
Seasonal Workers Directive 2020-01-17T16:56:00+00:00

Seasonal Workers directive is complementing to the EU Blue Card directive by which seasonal workers are allowed to work in the specific EU member state offering their knowledge and skills.

Seasonal workers may obtain an EU Blue Card valid for the specified period of work they will perform as seasonal workers in the hosting EU state – typically for works in agriculture, horticulture, tourism and/or similar occupations.

The applicant must provide:

  • A recognized university diploma – for unregulated professions
  • In case of regulated profession – present the acquired certificate
  • A work contract of at least one year in the hosting state
  • Proof that your salary exceeds the average in the hosting state by 1.5 times or 1.2 times for professions in shortage
  • A written declaration by your employer
  • A valid travel document
  • Proof of no threat to the public policy, security or health of the hosting state
  • An application form, filled either by you or your employer
  • Two passport-size personal photos, not older than 6 months
  • Proof of application fee payment
  • Health insurance proof

Seasonal workers are allowed to work in the hosting state for 5-9 months within one calendar year. The permit may be extended once, relevant to your work contract. The employer is expected to pay the cost of travel as well as your health insurance.

It is possible to re-enter as a seasonal worker only if you have respected the previous permit acquired within the last 5 years.
For extension of permit or change of employer you may file a request to the competent authorities and act accordingly.

If your employer did not respect the conditions of the agreement, you have the right to appeal/complain. The employer is compelled to compensate, even after you have left the Member State.

Seasonal workers are excluded from the following benefits:

  • Family reunification benefits (since stay is shorter than a year)
  • Educational or vocational benefits
  • Unemployment benefits (social assistance)

Nonetheless, you have the right to old-age pension benefits for the period you have worked in the hosting state.

You may gain the permit to work as a seasonal worker in another EU member state by the approval of competent authorities of both member states.

EU Blue Card Withdrawal or rejection reasons

For vacancies that can be filled by citizens of the hosting state, other EU citizens or non-EU citizens already residing in the hosting state – the EU Blue Card for seasonal workers may be rejected.

Other reason to be rejected, are:

  • Lack of qualified workers in the specific job-group in your home country, causing brain drain
  • If the number of workers accepted is pre-defined by the hosting state
  • Your employer took part in fraudulent actions
  • Your documents prove to be false
  • If you are a hazard to society
  • If you no longer meet the required conditions
  • If there are EU citizens who can take up the position, or even non-EU citizens already living in the desired hosting state.

Last Updated on