VisaGuide » Europe » EU Blue Card » ICT Residence Permit
Complete guide to obtaining an ICT residence permit, the requirements, eligibility, and FAQs

An Intra-Corporate Transfer (ICT) Card is a work residence permit valid in any of the EU countries. It is granted to qualified third-country nationals by an EU member country.

It enables an employee of a company that is based / has branches in an EU country and a third country to move temporarily to an EU country under work purposes.

On the other hand, an ICT Mobility Card permits an ICT transferee to move from an EU country to another, for the same reason.

Who Needs an ICT Card?

All third country nationals who will be working in an EU country as a transferee within the same corporate need an ICT Card.

Who Needs an ICT Mobility Card?

All third country nationals working in an EU country under an ICT Card, who need to move to another EU country to work for the same corporate, need to apply for a Mobile ICT Card.

There are two types of Mobile ICT card:

  • Short term Mobile ICT Card (for up to 90 days)
  • Long term Mobile ICT Card (for longer than 90 days)

Eligibility Criteria for an ICT Card

To be able to apply for an ICT Card you must meet the following criteria:

  • The host corporate in your home country and the entity established in the EU State belong to the same undertaking or group, from which you work,
  • You are working as a manager, specialist or trainee employee.
  • You should possess the requisite professional qualifications.
  • You must have been working uninterruptedly for the corporate for at least six months.
  • The intra-corporate transfer is set to last more than three months.
  • The Employment Agency must approve the transfer.
  • There must be an employment contract for the duration of the transfer as well as an additional assignment letter to govern the transfer to the EU country.
  • For Mobile ICT: should be are in possession of an ICT Card issued by one of the EU member countries.

Application Process for an ICT Card

You should apply for an ICT Card from your non-EU/EEA country of residence. Submit your application at the representative mission (embassy/consulate) of the country where you will be transferred to.

On the other hand, when applying for an ICT Mobility Card you can just move to the other EU country. When you settle there, you shall register your address and apply for an ICT mobility card at the relevant Immigration authorities.

ICT Card Application Processing

The processing time for an ICT card application is 90 days from the application day at most. However, it is estimated that most countries process the applications between two to five weeks.

ICT Card Validity

The validity of an ICT Card depends on the employment position that you hold. According to it, the ICT Cards are valid as follows:

  • Managers – three years at most.
  • Specialists – three years at most.
  • Trainee employees – one year at most.

ICT Card Cooling-off Period

The extension of an ICT card is not possible, in many EU countries, without a cooling-off period. You will have to wait for a few months before you can re-apply for an ICT card. The cooling-off period, depending on the country, is as follows:

  • 3 months – Italy and Lithuania.
  • 4 months – Austria.
  • 6 months – Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Germany, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta and the Netherlands.
Did you find this page helpful?
Yes No
Scroll to Top