An Estonia transit visa allows you to transit in an Estonian airport while you are on an ongoing trip to another country. For travellers from certain countries, this visa is requested even if you do not leave the transit area.
Do I Need an Estonia Transit Visa?
If you are a citizen from one of the countries listed below, you need a visa to transit to Estonia, even if you do not leave the transit area.
- The Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Sri Lanka
Estonia Transit Visa Exemptions
If you are from one of the countries listed above, you are exempted from the transit visa in the following instances:
- Holder of a diplomatic passport.
- Citizen or a close family member of an EU/EEA/Switzerland citizen.
- Citizen of a country that is part of the Chicago Convention on International Civil Aviation and a flight crew member.
- Holder of a valid visa or a residence permit from the Schengen area.
- Holder of a residence permit issued by the Principality of Andorra, Canada, Japan, Republic of San Marino, and The United States.
- Holder of a uniform visa, a residence permit given to you by a Member State, or a long-stay visa.
You do not need a visa to transit in Estonia in the following instances:
- You are from a country who does not need a visa to enter Estonia or the Schengen Area.
- You are from a country who does need a visa to enter Estonia, but you do not leave the transit area of the airport.
It is very important to note that you should always contact your airline to know whether you will have to leave the transit area to catch your ongoing flight.
Documents Required for Estonia Transit Visa
To apply for an Estonian Transit visa, you must submit these documents:
- Passport. Your passport must be valid at least three months before the return date. The passport must contain two blank pages, and it must be in good condition. Include copies of previous visas (if any).
- Application form. You must fully complete, sign and copy a regular short-stay application form. Make sure you fill out the application form with all your up-to-date information. Any false information can lead to your visa rejection.
- Fee payment. After filling out the application form, make sure you finish the payment. The payment can be made in the embassy or consulate when applying. Include the recipe of the payment with all the other requested documents.
- Two recent photos. You must submit two recent photos taken within the last six months. For further information, follow the Schengen visa photo guidelines.
- Document proof of your final destination. This document can be a Flight itinerary that proves you have purchased a ticket for your final destination and that your flight is an ongoing journey.
- Travel insurance. Your travel insurance must have coverage of €30,000 in case of any medical problem while traveling. The travel insurance must be valid within the whole Schengen area.
How To Apply For an Estonia Transit Visa?
Here are the steps you need to follow to apply for an Estonia Transit Visa:
- Contact the nearest embassy or consulate of Estonia in your home country.
- Fill out the application form and make the fee payment.
- Gather and submit all the requested documents.
- Wait for an answer.
Contact the nearest embassy or consulate of Estonia in your home country
You must contact the embassy or consulate of Estonia in your home country and book an appointment. Make sure you arrive on time for your appointment. You may be asked to attend an interview when applying.
Sometimes visa submissions may be handles by private visa agencies in your country.
Fill out the application form and make the fee payment
Make sure you fully complete the application form and sign it at the end. You can find the form at the embassy’s website or pick it up in person when you apply.
After filling out the application form, you make the payment of the application fee. The payment can be made at the embassy or consulate when submitting the documents.
Gather and submit all the requested documents
You must gather all the requested documents and submit them to your visa appointment. Make sure you follow the rules requested from the embassy for each specific document. If you can not submit any required documents, your visa can be refused.
Wait for an answer
After fulfilling all the requested steps, you must wait for a response from the embassy or consulate to which you have applied. You shall receive a response by email or SMS with your visa result.
How Much Does an Estonia Transit Visa Cost?
To apply for a Transit Visa for Estonia, you must make the payment fee of:
- €80 for adults.
- €40 for children between 6 and 12 age.
- €35 for citizens of Armenia, Russia, and Azerbaijan.
You can make the payment, either in cash or credit card, at the embassy or consulate when submitting the requested documents.
Estonia Transit Visa Fee Exemptions
You may be exempted from the visa fee if:
- You are a citizen or a family member of EU/EEA/Switzerland.
- You are a holder of a diplomatic passport.
- You are a child under the age of 6.
- You are a researcher traveling for scientific research.
- You are a holder of a residence permit or a visa of any other Schengen country.
- You are a student or teacher traveling for school purposes.
- You participate in or represent seminars, conferences, sports, cultural or educational events organized by non-profit organizations.
How Long Is the Estonia Transit Visa Valid For?
The validity of an Estonia Transit visa is 24 hours. You can stay at the airport in Estonia for this period while changing flights from Estonia to another country. Even if you have to stay overnight at the airport, you can not leave the airport and enter Estonia.
Note: If you have to stay in Estonia or change flights to more than one Schengen country, you must apply for a short-stay visa in Estonia or any other Schengen country.
How Long Does It Take To Get an Estonia Transit Visa?
The processing time for an Estonian Transit visa is 15 to 30 days. The processing time will start from the day you submit the documents to the embassy. Depending on when you submit the documents and your case, the embassy can extend your processing time without notification to 60 days.
Estonia Transit Schengen Visa For Seafarers
An Estonia transit visa for seafarers is issued for seamen who need to disembark at the Estonia seaports. It allows them to leave their ship at the seaport and stay there for a limited time until their next transport.
You can apply for a seafarer transit visa if you meet the following criteria:
- If you are a seafarer who needs to transfer from one ship to another ship that will be docked in Estonia.
- If you are a seafarer who needs to transfer and join a ship in Estonia.
- If you face any medical problems or family problems along the way and you need to land in Estonia.
Important: EU/EEA/Switzerland seafarers do not need a visa to transit in Estonia.