VisaGuide » Europe » Austria Visa » Family Visa
Applying for an Austrian Family Reunion visa, requirements and FAQs

Austrian citizens or holders of specific resident permits can bring their family members to Austria if they are third-country nationals. Third-country nationals refers to anyone who needs a visa to enter Austria. Those that need a visa to enter will also need a visa for family reunification.

The application process for an Austria family visa can be complex at times, and that’s why below you’ll find information on how to get an Austria family visa and what are the requirements.

Who Can Get an Austria Family Reunion Visa?

Austrian citizens or individuals that have a residence permit can apply for an Austria reunification visa for their family members who are third-country nationals. Eligible family members include:

  • Spouse
  • Same-sex registered partner.
  • Children under the age of 18.
  • Partners in long-term relationships (under specific circumstances).
  • Other relatives (under specific circumstances).

A family visa is issued to the family members of those who hold specific permits:

  • Holders of a Red-White-Red Card (work visa holders) or EU Blue Card.
  • Holders of a Red-White-Red Card plus.
  • Holders of long-term residency title in Austria.
  • Holders of a settlement permit (for self-employment individuals).
  • Holders of a settlement permit (for researchers).
  • Holders of a specific settlement permit (for special cases of dependent gainful occupation).
  • Holders of a residence card or permanent residence card.
  • Holders of an “Article 50 EUV” residence permit.

Austria Family Visa Reunion Requirements

In order to qualify for an Austria family visa reunion, you must meet some general criteria. Firstly, your family member needs to be a holder of a residence permit (see above), or in possession of Austrian citizenship.  Secondly, you must prepare some documents for your application process:

  • Passport. You must be in possession of a valid passport, which means your document has to be valid during your stay in Austria and it must have been issued within the last 10 years.
  • Copies of your previous passport (if applicable).
  • Financial means. You must provide evidence that you can support yourself financially as a resident in Austria, and that you won’t be reliant on social welfare. Your income must be equivalent to (or surpass) the standard income in Austria.

*In 2021, the standard income, in Austria, for singles is 1,000€.

*Please note that family members of those who are in possession of a Red-White-Red Card, EU Blue card, or their hosts are citizens of Austria are usually covered by their host’s insurance.

  • Birth certificate. You must also provide your birth certificate.
  • Certificate of good standing. This type of certificate is usually issued by the local civil court.
  • Marriage certificate. A marriage certificate proving your relationship to the resident in Austria.
  • Divorce certificate (if applicable).
  • Adoption papers. If you have any adoptive children these documents must be attached to the application. Foster children as well.
  • Certificate of relationship registration. If your relationship is registered within your local office at your country of residence then you must also attach a copy of the certificate to the rest of the documents.
  • Family certificate. You must also provide a family certificate proving your familial relationship with your sponsor.
  • Proof of accommodation. You need to provide evidence that you have accommodation in Austria. This could be a rental agreement with a landlord or your sponsor’s place of residence.
  • Travel itinerary. You must also provide a detailed agenda for your flight departure, your arrival date, flight number, and similar information.
  • Evidence of German language skills. You need to provide a certificate, from an accredited institution, that you have the basic A1 level of understanding of the German language.

*Please note that all your documents need to be originals plus copies, and the civil documents, i.e., marriage license, divorce paper, birth certificate, and so, must be legalized with an Apostille.

All your documents need to be either in German or English, if not they must be translated.

  • From your sponsor in Austria, you need to provide copies of:
  • Their passport.
  • Their citizenship “Staatsbürgerschaftsnachweis”.
  • Lease contract.
  • Registration form “Meldezettel”.
  • Proof of income from the last three months.

When Do I Apply for a Family Reunion Visa?

You should apply after your family member has received their residence permit as you will need to provide evidence of your sponsor’s residency status during your application.

If your sponsor already has a permit or citizenship you can apply whenever you are ready. But, make sure to do so at least 3 weeks before you depart.

How Do I Apply for an Austria Family Reunification Visa?

When it’s time to apply for an Austria family reunification visa make sure you:

  • Print and fill in the application form. This one of the most important documents you need for the visa application, so, make sure you finish this first.
  • Assemble all your documents. Make sure all of your papers are translated (if needed), legalized, and up-to-date.
  • Set an appointment. You should set an appointment with your local embassy/consulate in order to hand in your application documents.
  • Brace yourself for an interview. You will probably be asked to sit down for an interview and answer questions about the nature of your application. If you are planning on reuniting with a spouse you will most likely be asked questions about how you met, your favorite things, their family members’ names, and similar questions.
  • Wait for an answer. As soon as your application is processed you will receive an answer, afterwards, you can leave for Austria.

*Please note that you have 3 days to register at the local registration office after you enter Austria.

How Long Is Family Visa Valid For?

Typically, an Austria family visa is valid for up to 12 months. You can renew your visa before it expires or you may also apply for a residence permit. Though, the validity of your visa may vary depending on your family member’s residency type.

Can I Extend an Austrian Family Visa?

Yes, you can renew your visa before its expiration date. Please make sure to apply for a renewal at least three months prior.

Can Family Visa Holders Work in Austria?

You can work with a family visa. You can also work if you hold a Red-White-Red Card Plus. However, sometimes you may be limited to working depending on the type of residency that your sponsor holds.

Keep in mind that if you’ve applied for a settlement permit that limits your access to the labor market then you won’t be able to work. Such permits include:

  • Settlement Permit-Dependent.
  • Settlement permit -Gainful employment excepted.

How Much Does the Austrian Family Reunion Visa Cost?

The Austria family reunion visa fee is:

When applying:

  • For individuals over 6 years old: €120
  • For children under and up to 6 years old: €75

When receiving the visa:

  • For individuals over 6 years old: €20
  • For children under and up to 6 years old: €50

You may also be asked to pay additional fees for extra requirements.

Can I Get a Permanent Residence With an Austria Family Visa?

Yes, you can. After living lawfully for five years in Austria you can apply for a long-term resident – EU, which is valid for about 10 years.

You need to complete module 2 of the integration agreement and meet the general requirements to qualify for the title “long-term resident-EU”.

What Is the Integration Agreement?

The integration agreement is made up of two modules that third-country nationals need to complete in order to qualify for either a residency permit, residency title, or citizenship.

Module 1 is considered complete if you can prove that you have acquired basic knowledge of the German language. Level A1 according to the Common European Framework. You can provide a certificate proving your knowledge from an accredited school:

  • Austrian Language Diploma German (Österreichisches Sprachdiplom Deutsch)
  • Goethe-Institut e.V.
  • Telc GmbH
  • Austrian Integration Fund (Österreichischer Integrationsfonds)

Module 2 is considered complete when you can prove B2 level knowledge of the German Language and basic knowledge of Austria’s legal system and society rules. The Austrian Integration fund will examine whether you’ve completed module 2 or not.

*Depending on the residence permit or title you may be asked to complete only module 1.

Can I Get an Austrian Citizenship With a Family Visa?

Yes. Generally speaking, in order to qualify for Austria citizenship, you need to have at least 10 years of residency within Austria, 5 of which should be under a resident permit.

However, you also need to fulfill other conditions; evidence of completing modules 1 and 2 of the integration agreement, evidence that you have no criminal records, and proof of a stable income.

Other Types of Permits for Family Reunification

Besides an Austria family reunion visa, you can apply for other types of permits based on your or your spouse’s/partner’s/ specific circumstances.

Settlement Permit. The residency “settlement permit” will be given to family members of:

  • Holders of settlement permit.
  • Holders of settlement permit-dependent.
  • Holders of settlement permit-artist.
  • Holders of settlement permits – special cases of dependent gainful occupation.

The residency permit will be issued if the general requirements are fulfilled and there is quota space available.

Settlement Permit-Dependent. A settlement permit-dependent will be given to other dependents besides the general definition of a family member, such as:

  • Life-partners who receive financial support and can provide evidence of the long-term relationship.
  • Other family members that receive financial support.

 Settlement Permit – Gainful employment excepted. This settlement permit will be given to family members of:

  • Holders of settlement permit – gainful employment excepted.
  • Holders of certain “settlement permits.
Did you find this page helpful?
Yes No
Scroll to Top