Seychelles launched its own digital nomad visa called the “Workation Retreat Program” and has been active since April 2021. Seychelles’ program has two options: for employees and for self-employed.
Digital nomads are well-suited to Seychelles’ digital nomad visa, which is designed for people who wish to settle on the island for up to one year, such as remote workers, freelancers, and entrepreneurs with families.
Benefits of Working as a Digital Nomad in Seychelles
Working as a digital nomad in Seychelles has many benefits, such as:
- Tax exemption. As a digital nomad in Seychelles, you are not required to pay any local income tax, personal income tax, or business tax. Moreover, you are exempted from paying tax and custom duty on work equipment and personal effects.
- Ease of acquiring a Seychelles digital nomad visa. Getting a Seychelles digital nomad visa is easy. You only have to apply online; the application is filled out in a few minutes; there are not many documents required; you have to wait only a few weeks.
- Cheap application fees. To get a Seychelles digital nomad visa is very cheap. You have to pay a one-time fee of only €45 ($46.07).
- Peaceful people. People in Seychelles are easy-going, friendly, peaceful, and good-natured. Other than being kind to each other, they are kind to tourists. If invited to their home, ensure to bring a small present; it is custom around there.
- Various food. From fresh fish to locally grown fruits, spicy curries to sweet fried bananas, there is something for everyone. The Seychelles cuisine is a combination of South Asian, Chinese, Malagasy, European, and Western African cuisines. The most famous traditional foods includes the following: fresh grilled fish, salted fish, coconut curry, lentils, and many more.
- Pleasant weather. The weather in Seychelles is perfect for those who want to enjoy the beach, hiking, or explore the lush jungle. With an average temperature of 27⁰C, the weather is sunny and humid, with occasional showers. This weather is ideal for those who want to get away from cold weather.
- Affordable costs of living. When compared to other large cities, Seychelles is affordable for a single consumer, with one month’s expenses estimated at approximately $1,273. For a couple living in Seychelles, the monthly cost can be around $2006, and it costs about $3548 for a family of four to maintain a decent standard of living in Seychelles for a month.
In addition: 115 islands in the Indian Ocean make up Seychelles, officially known as the Republic of Seychelles. For years, Seychelles has been an attraction for travelers because of its beautiful beaches, friendly locals, and quiet and relaxed lifestyle. Besides, digital nomads have access to coworking spaces and cafes where they can socialize and work.
Requirements for Seychelles Digital Nomad Visa
The documents required to apply for a digital nomad visa in Seychelles are:
- Valid passport. Your passport should be valid six months prior to the visa application.
- A letter of employment or self-employment. In the case of employees, you need a letter from your employer. Self-employed individuals can provide their recent bank statement and certificate of good standing.
- Proof of income, such as bank statements.
- Proof of accommodation. You will need either a hotel booking, lease, or rental agreement.
- An onward ticket for the duration of your stay.
- A valid travel and health insurance policy. You need health insurance designed for digital nomads and remote workers who are living abroad for traveling to Seychelles.
- Health insurance coverage for Covid-19.
- A negative PCR test certificate. Testing centers, laboratories, and pharmacies may issue COVID certificates for persons who have tested negative for COVID-19.
How to Apply for a Seychelles Digital Nomad Visa?
You have to apply for a Seychelles digital nomad visa online through the Workation Retreat Program website. You must follow these steps:
- Obtain the required documents. The list of the documents you need is under “Requirements for Seychelles Digital Nomad Visa” above.
- Apply for the Visitors Workation Permit. In order to be a participant in the program, you must apply for the Visitors Workation Permit (VWP) at least 60 days before entering Seychelles. You can apply online.
- Apply for the Health Travel Authorization. After VWP is validated, you can complete your application for entry into Seychelles by applying for a Health Travel Authorization (HTA). You can apply online.
- Pay the application fee. For the combined application of VWP and HTA, a one-time fee of €45 is required.
- Receive the unique THA document. The THA document will feature the ‘Seychelles Workcation Retreat’ program logo, ID number as well as a color-coded in amber.
Additionally, to these steps, some countries might need a visa to enter Seychelles.
How Much Does the Seychelles Digital Nomad Visa Cost?
The application has a one-time fee of €45 ($46.07).
Processing Time For A Digital Nomad Visa in Seychelles
The processing time for a digital nomad visa in Seychelles is unknown. You can expect the application to be processed in a matter of weeks.
How Long Can I Work in Seychelles as a Digital Nomad?
The validity of the Seychelles digital nomad visa is one year. It is renewable for six months and possibly longer.
Paying Taxes as a Digital Nomad in Seychelles
Individuals in Seychelles are subject to a personal income tax rate that is imposed on different sources of income, such as labor, pensions, interest, and dividends. Individuals that have an income up to SCR (Seychelles rupee) 8,555.5 per month pay 0%, those from SCR 8,555.5 to 10,000 per month pay 15%, those from SCR 10,000 to 83,000 per month pay 20%, and those over SCR 83,000 pay 30%.
As a digital nomad in Seychelles, you are not required to pay any local income tax, personal income tax, or business tax. Moreover, you are exempted from paying tax and custom duty on work equipment and personal effects.