Since the pandemic, the work environment has changed significantly. There is a trend among many individuals to move their offices to a more relaxed environment. It is therefore becoming more common for people to work remotely and for them to require visas for digital nomads.
North Macedonia is one of the countries in the Balkans that has been talking about digital nomad visas since February 2021, but it hasn’t been implemented yet.
Benefits of Working as a Digital Nomad in North Macedonia
The benefits you could have while working as a digital nomad in North Macedonia include the following:
- Great internet connection. North Macedonia ranked 103rd in an international comparison of fixed-network broadband internet download speeds with 28.91 Mbit/second. In terms of latency and signal fluctuations (jitter), the Internet ranks 6th overall. North Macedonia has the fastest Internet speed in the region and is one of the few countries in the world with an Optic Giga service.
- Safety. Many travelers that have gone to North Macedonia throughout the years have described it as a perfectly safe place. There have been only a few incidents reported regarding petty crimes.
- Exquisite landscape. North Macedonia is a hidden gem in the Balkans. Having been conquered by a few empires, North Macedonia has a Balkan flavor mixed with a Mediterranean one. Nature’s beauty, fascinating ruins, and an active and hospitable culture await you in this region.
- Low cost of living. The cost of living in North Macedonia is 1.82 less expensive than the world average, at $512. The estimated monthly costs without rent for a family costs are $1,384.51. The estimated monthly costs without rent for a single person are $406.73. Some general prices include:
- Meal, inexpensive restaurant – $4.12
- Meal for 2 people, mid-range restaurant, three-course – $18.15
- One-way ticket (local transport) – $0.58
- Monthly pass (regular price) – $23.09
- Basic utilities (per month) – $106.07
- Apartment (1 bedroom) in the City Center – $189.74
- Apartment (1 bedroom) outside of City Center – $135.13
- Apartment (3 bedrooms) in the City Center – $304.41
- Apartment (3 bedrooms) outside of the City Center – $223.85
How to Apply for a North Macedonia Digital Nomad Visa?
The application is not open at the moment. Nevertheless, you should expect a similar application process:
- Book an appointment with the local North Macedonian embassy. Contact your local North Macedonian embassy and book an appointment with them.
- Gather and submit all the necessary documents to the embassy. The documents you need are in the section “Requirements for North Macedonia Digital Nomad Visa”. After preparing your documents, show up to the appointment and submit them.
- Complete the payment requirements. Currently, there is no information on how much or whether the visa will cost anything.
- Wait for an answer. The embassy to which you applied will respond with an approval or denial of the visa. Momentarily, the processing time is unknown.
Note: When the digital nomad visa is implemented, you may also expect the application process to be online.
Requirements for North Macedonia Digital Nomad Visa
The documents required to apply for a North Macedonia digital nomad visa are:
- A valid passport. Your passport needs to be valid for three months from the date of your arrival.
- An application form.
- Health insurance. You need health insurance designed especially for digital nomads working remotely, with coverage in North Macedonia.
- Certificate of a criminal record. You can get your clean criminal record at the local police department.
- Proof of employment. You need to provide your job contract, which states your position and confirms that you are allowed to work abroad, or any other document that proves your self-employment.
Note: When more information is available, the article will be updated.
How Long Can I Work in North Macedonia as a Digital Nomad?
Because the visa is yet to be launched, there is currently no information on the duration of the digital nomad visa . This information will be released in the meantime.
Processing Time For A Digital Nomad Visa in North Macedonia
Because the visa is yet to be launched, there is currently no information on the processing time of the North Macedonia digital nomad visa. This information will be released in the meantime.
How Much Does the North Macedonia Digital Nomad Visa Cost?
Because the visa is yet to be launched, there is currently no information on the cost. This information will be released in the meantime.
Paying Taxes as a Digital Nomad in North Macedonia
The tax system in North Macedonia is based on the citizen’s residence. Macedonian citizens are taxed on worldwide income, whereas non-residents are taxed on the income derived from North Macedonia.
- The personal income tax rate is 10%.
- The profit tax-corporate income tax rate is 10%.
- The general tax rate of the value-added tax is 18%, and the preferential tax rate of 5%.
- The property tax rate is 0.1% – 0.2%.
- The inheritance and gift tax rate is 2-3% or 4-5%.
- Custom duties – 5% to 20%.