The government of Montenegro, in December 2021, announced that they would be offering a digital nomad visa. Montenegro’s digital nomad visa is known as the Program for Attracting Digital Nomads in Montenegro. It is set to last until 2025.
Unfortunately, neither applications nor the formal launch of the digital nomad visa has yet occurred. It is anticipated that by the end of 2022, it will be fully implemented.
Benefits of the Montenegro Digital Nomad Visa
The benefits of working as a digital nomad in Montenegro include the following:
- The length of the visa. You can work in Montenegro as a digital nomad for two years and then renew it for another two years. However, after four years of your stay, you have to spend six months out of the country in order to apply again.
- Reliable internet connection. Internet connection in Montenegro is fast and reliable. In addition, the mobile internet connection is also excellent, and it is quite cheap.
- Safe place. If there is one factor that makes Montenegro one of the finest locations for digital nomads or travelers in general, it is that it is safe for everyone. The country has an extremely low rate of crime. Even throughout the day or at night, you won’t feel unsafe taking a stroll outside.
- Beautiful landscape. In Montenegro, there are several things to discover. You’ll never have a day without things to do, thanks to the region’s abundance of over 115 beaches and unusual and distinctive flora and fauna. One of the most beautiful places you can visit is Kotor Old Town and the Bay of Kotor.
- Low costs of living. The living costs in Montenegro are relatively low. An apartment in Montenegro can be rented for between €170 to €250 per month! On the other side, monthly utility costs may be under €100. These all obviously depend on the city you decide to stay in because some of them can be more expensive.
How to Apply for a Montenegro Digital Nomad Visa?
The application process still needs to be confirmed. You can expect similar steps:
- Visit the nearest embassy of Montenegro in your home country. Make an appointment to submit your visa application by getting in touch with the Montenegro Embassy that is closest to your home country.
- Fill out the application form. Download and fill out the application form with the required information.
- Complete the fee payment. The price of the digital nomad visa in Montenegro is not known.
- Gather and submit the visa documents to the Montenegro embassy. Make sure you gather all the requested documents and submit them to the nearest Embassy of Montenegro. The list of the required documents is in the section “Requirements for Montenegro Digital Nomad Visa”.
- Wait for a reply. There is no information available at this time regarding how long it will take to process a visa for a digital nomad in Montenegro. By the end of 2022, more specific details should be available.
Note: You can also expect the whole application to be completed online. Nevertheless, stay tuned for more updates!
Requirements for Montenegro Digital Nomad Visa
The requirements to apply for a Montenegro digital nomad visa are:
- Be a citizen of a country that is not part of the European Union.
- Have a valid passport. Your passport needs to be valid for at least six months.
- Have proof of travel insurance. Your travel insurance needs to have coverage during your trip to Montenegro and your stay there.
- Proof of income. Currently, there is no information on the amount of the required income.
- Have a return ticket or an onward ticket. Your ticket needs to confirm that you will return to your home country.
- Have a valid email address.
- Show proof of accommodation in Montenegro. You could show either a rental agreement, lease, or any other document that proves your accommodation in Montenegro.
- Have proof of employment. Prove that you work for or are under contract with a business outside of Montenegro.
How Long Can I Work in Montenegro as a Digital Nomad?
You can work in Montenegro as a digital nomad for two years. Montenegro’s digital nomad visa can be renewed for another two years. However, after four years of your stay, you have to spend six months somewhere else in order to apply again.
Processing Time For A Digital Nomad Visa in Montenegro
At the moment, there is no information about how long it will take for a digital nomad visa in Montenegro to process. You can expect more detailed information at the end of 2022.
How Much Does the Montenegro Digital Nomad Visa Cost?
The price of the digital nomad visa in Montenegro is not known. Stay tuned for updates!
Paying Taxes as a Digital Nomad in Montenegro
Montenegro is not a tax haven. Since the taxes are reasonable and very competitive, this will undoubtedly play a significant role in your decision to move here.
- The income tax rate is 9%. If the salary is above around €750 per month, the income tax rate is 11%.
- Companies in Montenegro pay 9% of the corporate income.
- New goods and services have a 21% VAT levied on them.
- Taxes on interest, capital gains, and land transfers are all below the national average.
Regarding digital nomads, there are talks about tax breaks, such as not being liable for income tax. However, not much is known till now.