Several companies worldwide have adopted 100% remote or hybrid work policies today, enhancing the remote work culture. As a result of having the option of working from anywhere, many people are opting to live a digital nomad lifestyle. Nowadays, countries are offering digital nomad visas to give them the opportunity to work abroad.
Dubai, like many countries, has joined the wagon of digital nomad visas. Dubai’s digital nomad visa is called “Work Remotely from Dubai.” Through its Work Remotely from Dubai program, Dubai has been welcoming remote workers and digital nomads since March 2021.
This article will show in more detail what Dubai’s digital nomad visa scheme offers.
Benefits of Working as a Digital Nomad in Dubai
Working as a digital nomad in Dubai under the Work Remotely from Dubai program has the following benefits:
- Tax-free. As a digital nomad in Dubai, you are not imposed to pay income tax, capital gain tax, withholding tax, and local taxes. However, you are expected to pay taxes back home, but you do not need to prove it.
- High healthcare system. Dubai offers a top-notch healthcare system with state-of-the-art facilities and a high standard of medical care. Health services in Dubai are administered by the Dubai Health Authority (DHA), which oversees both public and private services. Many foreigners choose the private healthcare system. There are more than 130 facilities you can choose from in Dubai Healthcare City (DHCC) alone, a modern medical complex offering advanced private health care across 150 specialties.
- Access to facilities. The Emirates ID will be given to applicant holders when they receive their visas and arrive in the UAE. The Emirates ID is a document that can be used for many things in their daily lives. By having the ID, you will have access to many services, such as banking, phone lines, housing rentals, and, if you have children, the ability to enroll them in local schools.
- Fast internet connection. The internet speed fixed is 189.27 Mbps, and the mobile connection is 273.87 Mbps. There will likely be no issues with your wifi in the UAE since the majority of accommodations for foreigners have speeds of over 100 Mbps. It will be enough for browsing and Zoom calls on a daily basis, as well as heavy streaming. Furthermore, the 4G network is excellent.
Requirements for Dubai Digital Nomad Visa
The documents required to apply for a digital nomad visa in Dubai are:
- Online filled visa application form. You can fill out the application form from the official website of Work Remotely from Dubai
- Valid passport. Your passport needs to be valid at least for six months.
- Digital passport photo. Your passport photo needs to be with dimensions 45mm/35mm and white background.
- Accommodation reservation. You will need either a hotel booking, a lease, or a rental agreement to confirm your accommodation.
- Medical insurance. You need medical insurance designed for digital nomads and remote workers who are living abroad to travel to Dubai. Health insurance must have UAE coverage validity.
- Documents for business owners:
- Proof of ownership of the company for one year or more
- Minimum of $5.000 monthly income
- Bank statements for the last three months
- Documents for employees:
- Proof of employment with one year contract
- Last month’s payslip
- Minimum of $5.000 salary per month
- Bank statements for the last three months
How to Apply for a Dubai Digital Nomad Visa?
You must apply for a Dubai digital nomad visa online through the official Work Remotely from Dubai website. The application process is as follows:
- Prepare the necessary documents. The list of the documents is under “Requirements for Dubai Digital Nomad Visa” above. The documents need to be in English and digitized.
- Proceed to the official website. On the official website of Work Remotely from Dubai, you can apply for the program. There you have to complete a short application form with information about yourself, such as your name, email address, country, and telephone number. A member of their team will be in touch with you to take the application forward.
- Wait for the response. An email will be sent to you after submission. There will be further instructions therefore read them carefully.
- Send the documents. After the email, you will have to send the required documents to [email protected] The documents are in the section “Requirements for Dubai Digital Nomad Visa”. The documents and the application will be reviewed by Dubai Tourism and commercial marketing travel partner Al Rais Travel Agencies LLC.
- Wait for a reply. You will be given an email stating the payment instructions and the amount.
- Pay the fees. The cost of the Dubai digital nomad visa is $611. This amount includes the application fee of $287 and other processing charges, medical insurance premium, and Emirates ID. Once you fill out your credit card information, you will receive an email welcoming you to Dubai.
- Arrange a medical visit. This step can be done after traveling to Dubai, but it may be helpful to do it before flying to Dubai.
- Travel to Dubai. After your visa is granted, you can travel to Dubai.
- Go to the medical appointment. You have about a month to go to the medical appointment. Your results will be out in two weeks’ time.
- Go to the biometrics office. After getting the medical results, you will be given a list of offices to do biometrics and complete an application form. Then print the medical results and the application form and go to one of the biometrics offices.
- Get a passport stamp. You will get a call stating that your passport needs to be taken to be stamped. This process will take a day.
- Get the residency card. An SMS should be sent to you by the government informing you that your residence card is waiting at a post office. Go get the residency card and live in Dubai for a year.
Additionally, depending on your nationality, you might need a visa to enter Dubai.
Note: You can enter Dubai with a tourist visa and then apply for a digital nomad visa, but the fees may differ.
How Much Does the Dubai Digital Nomad Visa Cost?
The cost of the Dubai digital nomad visa is $611. This amount includes the application fee of $287 and other processing charges, medical insurance premium, and Emirates ID.
Note: There is no guarantee that the visa will be approved just because you paid the processing fee. It is possible to incur additional charges depending on your country of citizenship country, the nature of the services requested, and other factors.
Processing Time For A Digital Nomad Visa in Dubai
The processing time for a digital nomad visa in Dubai is from thirty days up to sixty days.
How Long Can I Work in Dubai as a Digital Nomad?
The validity of the Dubai digital nomad visa is one year, renewable upon re-application.
Paying Taxes as a Digital Nomad in Dubai
Individuals in the UAE are not subject to income tax. Oil companies and foreign banks, however, are subject to corporate taxes. In addition, specific goods that are harmful to human health or the environment are taxed under excise taxes. Finally, a majority of goods and services are subject to Value Added Tax.
As a digital nomad in Dubai, you are not imposed to pay income tax, capital gain tax, withholding tax, and local taxes. However, you are expected to pay taxes back home, but you do not need to prove it.