The digital nomad visa in Curaçao is called the Temporary Stay Permit for Digital Nomads/Remote Workers and is available under the @Home in Curaçao program. The program has been active since February 2021 and is available for remote workers, digital nomads, hibernators, and investors.
Take a closer look at the benefits, requirements, and what the Curaçao digital nomad visa program offers.
Benefits of Working as a Digital Nomad in Curaçao
Working as a digital nomad in Curaçao has the following benefits:
- Straightforward visa application process. The visa application process is done all online; you need just a few minutes to complete it. Then, you have to wait only two weeks to get an answer.
- Tax-free. Under the @Home in Curaçao program, you are not required to pay income tax. But, tax returns are still required each year if you are a citizen of a country such as the United States or the United Kingdom. Further, if you stay for up to one year, you will not be categorized as a tax resident and, therefore, will not be subject to Curaçao’s tax system.
- High-speed internet. Curaçao has high-speed fiber internet and 4G mobile services with adequate download and upload speeds. It has an average internet speed of 15 Mbps.
- Leisure activities. The most popular sports in Curaçao are scuba diving and snorkeling. If you enjoy these two sports, Playa Grandi beach, also known as Playa Piscado, is your choice. Moreover, fishing, windsurfing, golf, tennis, squash, horse riding, hiking, and sailing are also excellent activities in Curaçao. Alternatively, you can visit one of the island’s 38 golden sand beaches or lagoons.
- Delicious cuisine. Curaçao offers a fusion of Caribbean and European cuisine, especially Dutch. You can enjoy Dutch oliebollen, bitterballen, poffertjes, and stroopwafels. Other foods you can enjoy are Keshi Yena, which is a combination of oven-baked Dutch cheese stuffed with spiced meat, olives, onions, capers, and tomatoes; Funchi and Tutu, which are side dishes and depict the African roots of Curaçao.
- Affordable prices. Curaçao is one of the Caribbean islands with the lowest cost of living. A single person’s estimated monthly costs are $947.03 without rent; for a family of four, estimated monthly costs are $3,343.35 without rent.
Requirements for Curaçao Digital Nomad Visa
The documents required to apply for a Curaçao digital nomad visa are:
- Filled out application form. The application form you can fill out online. You can find it on the official website of @Home in Curaçao.
- Copy of bio page of the passport. Curaçao requires a passport valid for at least six months after the intended stay.
- Passport photo. Your photo should not be older than six months.
- Statement of assignment by employer or statement of assignment by the company
- Proof of payment of fees. You can use the receipt to prove the payment of the application fee.
- Proof of solvency. There isn’t any number of income stated. However, you can use your recent bank statements. The statement must indicate the applicant’s name as the account holder, the accounts’ balances, and the statement’s date.
- Proof of a clean criminal record. You can get your criminal record from any of your local police departments.
- Residential address in Curaçao. You will need either a hotel booking, a lease, or a rental agreement to confirm your accommodation.
- Health insurance. You need health insurance designed for digital nomads and remote workers living abroad. Your insurance has to have coverage in Curaçao.
- Return plane ticket. The ticket must be a return ticket to your country upon arrival in Curaçao.
How to Apply for a Curaçao Digital Nomad Visa?
To apply for a Curaçao digital nomad visa, you need to complete the following steps:
- Get the necessary documents. Collecting the required documents before sitting down to fill out the application is important. You can find the document list in the section above, “Requirements for Curaçao Digital Nomad Visa”. You can digitize these documents in Dutch, English, and Spanish.
- Apply for the visa. You can apply for a digital nomad visa through the official website of @Home in Curaçao. Make sure to apply under Remote Worker.
- Pay the fees. The Curaçao digital nomad visa costs $294 per applicant. You can pay via bank transfer and must include your full name as it appears on your passport. Ensure your receipt and payment confirmation are kept so you can submit them with your application.
- Submit the application. It is mandatory for each applicant to submit their application electronically. Families can also apply under this program. There is no fee for the family bundle. In order to apply, family members must be listed on the main applicant’s application.
- Wait for approval. The processing time for a digital nomad visa is about two weeks. After that, the approval is given electronically.
In addition: Depending on your nationality, you might need a visa to enter Curaçao. You have to apply at least one month in advance at any Dutch consulate or embassy in the corresponding country.
Note: It is possible to submit your application while in Curaçao as a tourist, as long as you are still within the 90-day tourist period.
How Much Does the Curaçao Digital Nomad Visa Cost?
The Curaçao digital nomad visa costs $294 per applicant. It is non-refundable and must be paid before submitting the application form. You can pay the fee through a bank account in your name, just like with your passport.
Processing Time For A Digital Nomad Visa in Curaçao
The processing time for a digital nomad visa is about two weeks. The approval of the visa is given electronically.
How Long Can I Work in Curaçao as a Digital Nomad?
The validity of the Curaçao digital nomad visa is six months and can be renewed for another six months.
Note: Even if you stay for up to one year, you are not considered a resident.
Paying Taxes as a Digital Nomad in Curaçao
Individuals in Curaçao are liable for corporate tax, personal income tax, sales tax, and many more. The rate of the tax is:
- the standard corporate tax rate is 22%
- the personal income tax rate is progressive up to 46.5%
- the standard sale tax rate is 6% but varies in the type of goods and services
- the payroll tax rate is progressive from 9.75% to 46.5%
- the transfer tax rate is 4%
- there is no capital and stamp duty
Under the @Home in Curaçao program, you are not required to pay income tax. But, tax returns are still required each year if you are a citizen of a country such as the United States or the United Kingdom. Moreover, if you stay for up to 1 year, you will not be classified as a tax resident and therefore not be subject to Curaçao’s tax system.