There is an increasing number of island nations offering digital nomad visas, and the Cayman Islands has joined that list by launching the Global Citizen Concierge Program (GCCP).
The Global Citizen Concierge Program (GCCP) of the Cayman Islands has been active since August 2020.
This program was a response to the drop in tourism due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and they decided to concentrate more on the affluent digital nomads. In addition, the program wanted to create a paradise where people could live and work without being tied to an office. This is an amazing opportunity for those who want to swap the normal dreary environment for the great weather and fresh air of the beachside.
Benefits of Working as a Digital Nomad in the Cayman Islands
There are several benefits to working as a digital nomad in the Cayman Islands:
- Easy application process. The application process is done all online. You only have to go to the Global Citizen Concierge program website and fill out the application form with the required information. Then, the processing time for a digital nomad visa in the Cayman Islands is about three to four weeks, depending on the application size.
- Freedom of movement. Once you get the Cayman Islands digital nomad visa, you can go in and out of the country during your stay in the Cayman Islands.
- Tax haven. The Cayman Islands are known as a tax haven. Taxes on corporate profits, income, capital gains, payroll, and withholding are not imposed on the Cayman Islands. As a digital nomad in the Cayman Islands, you are not liable for income tax or other taxes. However, the personal effects you bring to the Cayman Islands may be subject to duties.
- Great internet connection. The Cayman Islands offer the fastest internet speed, with an average speed of 16.12 Mbps. There are four broadband internet service providers in the Cayman Islands: Logic, Flow, C3, and Digicel. C3 offers a fiber 100 Mbps package for $89.99, and even a 1000 Mbps fiber connection is available. Of course, there are prices, but the Cayman Islands have great internet speed.
- Colorful cuisine. Cayman’s food scene surpasses the rest of the Caribbean due to its vibrant colors and rich flavors. There’s no better way to experience Cayman than by trying their food. They combine spices, seafood, and fresh bounty to create unique and flavorful dishes. Local ingredients include coconut, plantains, conch, cassava, tuna, snapper, mahi, rice and peas, yams, and mangoes that make up authentic Cayman Island cuisine. Furthermore, the most famous dishes are green turtle stew, conch stew, fish rundown, lionfish with breadfruit salad, coconut shrimp, and many more.
- Diverse activities. The Cayman Islands offer a wide range of exciting activities to suit every taste. A variety of water sports, cultural activities, animal encounters, underwater activities, and some of the world’s finest beaches await you.
Requirements for the Cayman Islands Digital Nomad Visa
The application process is done all online. First, you have to follow this link and add the required documents. Those documents are:
- Copy of bio page of the passport. Your passport needs to be valid for at least six months.
- Proof of employment. You need to show a letter that proves your employment with a company outside the Cayman Islands, your position there, and your annual salary.
- Proof of income. The income varies on the number of the applicants:
- $100,000 (per year), if you are applying as an individual
- $150,000 (per year) for a couple
- $180,000 (per year) for a family
- Proof of legal existence of employer or company. To prove the legal existence of the employer or company, you can use a certificate of good standing, a certificate of incorporation, or social media profiles.
- Proof of health insurance. You need health insurance that covers thirty days upon your arrival. Then, you have to acquire local health insurance within those thirty days.
- Proof of relationship to dependents. If you are married, you need a marriage certificate. If you have children, you need birth certificates or adoption orders.
- Bank reference. Bank references are statements written by bank managers regarding the credit standing of their customers. You need your bank statements for the last six months.
- Police clearance. The police clearance should be given within six months in the place you have lived for more than six months.
Note: If your documents are not in English, you must have the translations.
How to Apply for the Cayman Islands Digital Nomad Visa?
To get the Cayman Islands digital nomad visa, you have to achieve the following steps:
- Prepare the document checklist. First, you need to collect all the necessary documents beforehand. You need to upload them on the application form.
- Access the website. Go to the Global Citizen Concierge program website and fill out the application form with the required information. Your documents need to be in English; if they are not, you must have the translations.
- Submit the application and wait for approval. After uploading the required documents, you click submit and await approval. The processing time for a digital nomad visa in the Cayman Islands is about three to four weeks, depending on the application size. After that, you will get the approval electronically.
- Pay the fees. The Cayman Islands digital nomad visa has only the Global Citizen Concierge program fee. The fee is:
- $1,469 for up to two persons
- $500 for each dependent
If you pay by credit card, there is a 7% credit card fee for the whole application fee. Moreover, the fees are annual and non-refundable.
- Receive the official document. Once everything is approved, you will receive an official document declaring that you have obtained the visa and can go to the Cayman Islands and live for two years.
Additionally, depending on your nationality, you might need a visa to enter the Cayman Islands. You can get a visa to enter the Cayman Islands at the nearest British Embassy or Consulate.
How Much Does the Cayman Islands Digital Nomad Visa Cost?
The Cayman Islands digital nomad visa has only the Global Citizen Concierge program fee. The fee is:
- $1,469 for up to two persons
- $500 for each dependent
If you pay by credit card, there is a 7% credit card fee for the whole application fee.
Note: The fees are annual and non-refundable.
Processing Time For A Digital Nomad Visa in the Cayman Islands
The processing time for a digital nomad visa in the Cayman Islands is about three to four weeks, depending on the application size. After being approved, you have to pay the fees.
How Long Can I Work in the Cayman Islands as a Digital Nomad?
The validity of the Cayman Islands digital nomad visa is two years. You can come and go out of the Cayman Islands during this period.
Paying Taxes as a Digital Nomad in the Cayman Islands
The Cayman Islands are a tax haven. The Cayman Islands have no corporate tax, income tax, property taxes, capital gains taxes, payroll taxes, or withholding taxes.
As a digital nomad in the Cayman Islands, you are not liable for income tax or other taxes. However, the personal effects you bring to the Cayman Islands may be subject to duties.