Brazil is known for a large number of tropical beaches, the colorful Rio De Janeiro carnival, as well as for being home to the Amazon rainforest. Considering this, it is reasonable that many foreign expats wish to soak in its beauty and enjoy its quirks at an affordable price.
If you want to leave your boring gloomy daily routine behind and would like to start your new life in Brazil while still being a freelancer then the Brazilian digital nomad visa is a perfect match for you.
Does Brazil Have a Digital Nomad Visa?
Brazil has a digital nomad visa which was first established in January 2022. The Brazilian digital nomad visa is a residence permit that allows foreign workers to live in Brazil while working remotely. This temporary permit is valid for one year and can be extended for the same amount.
The Brazilian digital nomad visa is issued to self-employed individuals as well as remote employees, who work for a company that is located outside of Brazil.
Also read: Other types of visas to Brazil
Benefits Of The Brazilian Digital Nomad Visa
If you receive a Brazilian digital nomad visa, you can enjoy the following benefits:
- Chance to live in one of the most beautiful countries in the world. Brazil is tropical and beautiful, filled with beaches, yummy food, and beautiful architecture, so, living in this paradise is surely a big life-fulfilling experience.
- Comfortable lifestyle. Living in a tropical paradise should not scare you into believing that this lifestyle comes with high pricing. Brazil is actually known for being one of the most affordable countries to live in. A single person can live in Brazil with as little as around €490/month with the salaries being as high as around €1,600/month. Food, apartments, and even the nightlife come with affordable pricing as well and will therefore make your moving process one of the easiest and most comfortable there is.
- Free public healthcare. If you live in Brazil with a digital nomad visa, you will be eligible for the free public health care system available for foreigners. This is a huge positive point as many countries require you to pay all expenses for any type of medical treatment.
- Chance to retire comfortably. Brazil is considered one of the top destinations to retire in due to its exotic, tropical, and peaceful environment. The low pricing also helps with attracting many foreigners who wish to retire peacefully.
What Can You Work as in Brazil With a Digital Nomad Visa?
Currently, the most sought jobs for remote workers in Brazil are:
- Customer service.
- Online teacher.
- Content writer.
- Data analyst.
- Web developer.
- Freelance translator.
- Digital marketer.
Brazil is the only South American country that offers a digital nomad visa which has allowed it to attract many interested foreigners.
How Can I Become a Digital Nomad in Brazil?
To be eligible for a Brazilian digital nomad visa you must fulfill the following requirements:
- Prove your employment status. Provide a work contract that states that you either are self-employed or are eligible to work remotely for a foreign company outside of Brazil; and
- Prove the required monthly income. The minimum required monthly income amount for a Brazilian digital nomad visa is around €1,400; or
- Prove the required amount at the moment of the application. You can also provide a statement that you have around €17,000 at the time of your application.
Brazilian Digital Nomad Visa Requirements
The documents you must submit along with your application for a Brazil digital nomad visa include:
- Valid passport. Your passport must have two blank pages for the visa stamp.
- Digital nomad visa application form. You can find the application form on the Brazilian visa government website. You must fill out the form online, print out a copy, sign it, and submit it to the Brazilian consulate along with the rest of the required documents.
- One recent photo. The photo must be in color, recent, and taken in front of a white background.
- Criminal records. You may be requested to submit your criminal records from the police authorities in your country of residence.
- Health insurance coverage. You should have a health insurance policy, which covers Brazil.
- An employment contract or proof of self-employment. Submit any documents that prove you can work remotely, and that you are not working for a Brazilian employer.
- Bank statements. The statement must be stamped and must showcase your income for the last three months.
- Any additional documents requested by the Brazilin embassy or consulate. Each embassy or consulate has its own requirements.
How to Apply For a Brazilian Digital Nomad Visa?
If you want to apply for a Brazilian digital nomad visa you must:
- Head to the nearest Brazilian consulate. Although the application for the Brazilian digital nomad visa can be filled online through the government website, ultimately, the application must be submitted physically to your nearest Brazilian consulate.
- Submit the required documents.
- Wait for an answer. The processing time for a Brazil digital nomad visa depends on the specific embassy or consulate in which you applied. Typically, you can expect to hear back within two to four weeks from the time you submit your completed application, although the processing time could be extended further.
- Enter Brazil and register. Once your digital nomad visa application is accepted, you can enter Brazil freely. Within 90 days of entering, you have to register your stay at the Federal Police. Once your registration is complete, you will be issued a temporary foreign identity card which you must keep with you at all times.
The Brazilian digital nomad visa is a fairly newly established visa and therefore all information provided is subject to change. All information provided is valid as of May 2022 and for any changes in the information, contact the Brazilian embassy.
Is Rio De Janeiro a Good Place for Digital Nomads?
Rio De Janeiro is considered one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The colorful city is filled with delicious food and friendly people and this allows it to be one of the most sought-after places to see in the whole world. Its beauty has also helped with attracting expats who want to visit while still having a stable income working remotely. Therefore, visiting and living in Rio De Janeiro as a digital nomad is a perfect fit, especially for those who wish to live comfortably while still enjoying the beautiful scenery.