Canada is a country in the North American continent located right above the United States and is known as a highly developed country. The demand of people to travel to Canada has been steadily increasing the last few years, but most people wonder how they can get to Canada.
On this guide you will learn:
- What is a Canada Visa?
- Who needs a Visa to enter Canada?
- What are the different types of Canada Visa and which is the right one for you
- How to apply for your visa for travel to Canada
- What documents, photos and information you need to apply for your Canadian visa
- How to access Canada visa application forms and instructions
- How to pay your Canada visa application fee
- And a lot more information about applying/getting a visa to Canada and entering the territory of the Canada States.
What is a Canada Visa?
A Canada visa is a stamp on your passport which allows you to enter the country of Canada. It is a permission for you to travel to the country and legally be able to stay either temporarily or permanently.
Getting a visa to Canada means that the Canadian Consulate or Embassy in your home country decided that you are eligible and fulfill the requirements for entry. However, once you are at the Canadian border and customs, it is up to the officers at the border to evaluate whether you are fit to enter.
If you answer the Canadian Border Services Officer (BSO) questions honestly and correctly, they will allow you to enter. Otherwise, if they suspect that you are not eligible to enter, they can deny you and ask you to go back to your home country even if you have a Canada visa.
Who Needs a Canadian Visa?
People from countries that do not have a visa exemption or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) agreement with Canada will need a visa to enter the country. More specifically, people from around 148 countries need a visa to visit, work, or immigrate to Canada.
What are the Canadaian Visa Categories?
There are two categories of the Canada Visa. These are:
- Temporary Canada Visas – allow the holder to stay in Canada for a limited amount of time for purposes of tourism, visit to family, studying, or working.
- Permanent Canada Visas – allow the holder to move to Canada permanently to work and be on a path to a Canadian citizenship.
What are the Canada Visa Types?
Since there are two categories of Canadian visas, each category has their own specific visas which people can get depending on whether they meet the eligibility criteria.
Temporary Canada Visas
The temporary Canada visas allow the person to stay in Canada for a specific period of time which is determined by the Canadian Consulate or the Border Services Officers (BSO). This time is usually up to 6 months. However, the temporary visa can be single entry or multiple entry visa.
Single entry visa allows the person to only enter Canada once, stay for 6 months and then return to their home country. A multiple entry visa allows the person to enter Canada multiple times until their visa expires and stay temporarily.
There are four types of Canadian Temporary Visas:
Temporary Resident Visas
The Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) and has the following sub types based on the purpose of visit to Canada:
Travelling Abroad as a Canadian Visa Holder
Travelling to the US
To travel to the US from Canada, you might be required to apply for a US visa in Canada. However, if you are a citizen of a country in the Visa Waiver Program, you are not required to apply for a US visa from Canada, but you will have to apply for ESTA instead.