VisaGuide » Australia Visa » Work Visa » Subclass 485 » Post Study Stream
Getting a subclass 485 visa through the Post Study Work Stream, the required documents, costs, and FAQs

A post study work stream is a visa that belongs to the temporary graduate program you can apply for if you want to work after your studies are finished. To get this visa, you must have graduated from an Australian institution while you were on a student visa.

Requirements for a Post Study Work Graduate Visa 485?

Here is what you need to submit for your graduate visa post work study stream:

  • Get a copy of your current passport and make sure you include the pages with your personal information and the passport details. You may be required to submit other identification documents especially if you changed your name.
  • Evidence of study. You have to submit proof that you have studied in Australia and that you have finished your studies. You can submit a letter of completion with the dates when you started the course and when you finished and your education provider’s CRICOS code (a classification of institutions for international students in Australia).
  • School Transcripts. You are also required to submit your school transcripts during the time you were a student in Australia.
  • English language documents. You have to submit proof of your language proficiency unless you have a passport from:
    • the United Kingdom
    • the United States of America
    • Canada
    • New Zealand
    • the Republic of Ireland
  • Health insurance proof. You have to provide evidence that you have adequate health insurance or that you are registered within Medicare.
  • Documents required for the character requirement. For your post study work stream, you have to show that you meet the character requirement and attach these forms with your other documents: form 80 and form 1221. You must also provide evidence that you have applied for an AFP check (National Police Check).
  • Help documents. If you get help from someone, then submit either form 956 or form 956a.
  • Partner documents. You have to provide documents for your partner if you are taking them with you. You must include their identity documents, marriage license (if applicable), proof of registered relationship (if applicable), character documents and so on.
  • Children under 18 documents. If you have any children under 18 years of age, you must provide a parental consent form 1229 (if applicable) or a statutory declaration. Don’t forget to include your child’s identity documents.
  • Children over 18 documents. In the case of dependent children over 18, you have to submit form 47a and any other type of proof of dependency.

Who Can Apply for a Post Work Graduate Visa 485?

If you fall into one of these categories, you can apply for visa 485:

  • You held a previous student visa that was granted on or after November 5, 2011.
  • You are the primary holder of a current student visa (not supported by the Defence of Foreign Affairs and Trade Minister).
  • You had a student visa 6 months prior to applying for the post study work stream and now you hold a bridging visa A or a bridging visa B.
  • You had a student visa 6 months prior to applying for the post study work stream and now you hold another visa.
  • You had a student visa previously and were affected by COVID-19.
  • You are under 50 years of age.
  • You studied at an Australian institution.
  • You received an eligible qualification:
    • Bachelor degree
    • Bachelor Honors degree
    • Master’s (by course work) degree
    • Master’s (extended) degree
    • Master’s (by researchers) degree
    • Doctoral degree
  • You meet the Australian study requirements.

Australian Study Requirements

To get a post study work stream visa, you must meet the Australian study requirements:

  • Your study program was a Commonwealth Register of Institutions and you also had courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS registered course).
  • You successfully completed all course requirements.
  • You studied in English.
  • You finished your class after two full years of study (92 weeks).
  • You finished your course in no less than 16 months.
  • You had an Australian student visa.

If you were affected by COVID-19 there might be ease for this requirement, for example, online classes will be counted towards meeting the study requirement length. However, you must provide evidence that you were affected by the pandemic. Make sure your education provider submits a completed Form 1545 and attach it to your application.

Application Process for a Post Study Work Graduate Visa

You have to apply for this visa by submitting an online application in ImmiAccount. The online platform will provide you with instructions on how to submit your application- you have to submit scanned copies or photocopies of your documents, and at the end, you can select ‘payments’ to submit your application fee.

You must submit the application within the eligibility period, late application won’t be accepted. Applications are received Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) (or Australian Eastern daylight standard time (AEDST) when applicable.

Please keep in mind that you can only submit a successful application if you had a study visa on or after November 5, 2011. If you had a student visa prior to this date, you are not eligible to apply for the post study work visa stream.

How Much Does a Post Work Graduate Visa Cost?

This visa costs AUD1,680. However, keep in mind that you are required to pay a fee for every family member that you include in your application- see visa fees here.

Processing Times for a Post Study Work Graduate Visa

This visa is processed between 8 to 9 months. Your application will not be processed if you don’t pay the correct amount at the time of application.

How Long Can I Stay With a Post Work Graduate Visa?

The time you are allowed to stay in Australia with a post study work visa depends on your degree:

  • Two years- Bachelor degree (including honours).
  • Two years- Masters by coursework.
  • Three years- Masters by research.
  • Four years- Doctoral degree.

If you have a passport issued by Hong Kong, you can stay for up to five years.

Can I Stay Longer?

You cannot stay longer with this visa, nor can you extend your post study work visa. However, if you hold a passport from Hong Kong you can extend your stay for up to another 5 years in addition to the time you already have spent in Australia. Moreover, Hong Kong visa holders can apply for permanent residence after 5 years.

Can My Family Members Apply With Me?

Your family members can apply with you for a post study work visa if they are:

  • Your spouse or registered partner.
  • Your child or your partner’s child.
  • Your adult dependent child of your partner’s adult dependent child.
  • Your grandchild or your partner’s grandchild.

You can add your children to the application after you’ve submitted an application as long as a decision hasn’t been made.

Subsequent Entrants

Your family members may also apply for the visa later as subsequent entrants, but they are required to pay the full visa application fee.

Can I Travel With a Post Study Work Stream Visa?

Yes, this visa is issued with multiple entries and you can travel freely as you need to from Australia.

What Is the Second Post Study Work Stream?

The second post study work stream is a visa you can get if you already held a first post study work visa. You have to apply for the visa through ImmiAccount and pay the application fee of AUD660.

How Long Can I Stay with a Second Post Study Work Stream?

You can stay for one year up to two years, depending on the regional area where you finished your previous studies and where you worked with your first post study work stream visa.

If you hold a Hong Kong passport, you can stay for up to five years.

Did you find this page helpful?
Yes No
Scroll to Top