Graduate work stream 485 is a work visa that you can get if you graduated from an Australian institution and you have skills that Australia needs. You will most likely be required to work, live, and study in a specific region in Australia while you hold this visa stream.
What Documents Do I Need for a Graduate Work Stream Visa 485?
You will need the following documents to complete your visa application:
- Copy of your passport. You must have a valid copy of your passport when you apply for a visa 485- graduate stream. Sometimes, you may be required to submit copies of other documents such as your national ID card, or documents related to your name change, i.e., marriage certificate.
- Evidence of study. You have to submit a completion letter containing your start and end date for your studies and your education provider’s CRSCOS code (this is an identification code for Australian institutions suitable for international students).
- Skill assessment documents. You have to provide evidence that your skills were assessed for the work position, if an assessment hasn’t been completed yet you can provide evidence that you’ve applied for the assessment. As soon as the assessment is over you have to attach a copy of the report to the ImmiAccount.
- Proof of English language skills. You need to provide evidence that you have completed an internationally recognised English language test with acceptable scores by the Department of Home Affairs. You won’t need the test if you have a passport from the United Kingdom, the USA, Canada, New Zealand and the Republic of Ireland.
- Health insurance. You have to provide evidence that you have valid health insurance while you are staying in Australia. You can submit a signed letter from your health insurance provider, your Medicare Card, or any other type of proof.
- Evidence that you fulfil the character criteria. You have to provide proof that you are not involved in any criminal activities, including proof that you have applied for a National Police Check. You will also need to fill in these forms and attach them to your application: form 80 and form 1221.
- Help documents. If you appoint someone to help you with your application, provide either form 956 or form 956a.
- If you are applying with your partner:
- Your partner’s identification documents
- Character documents
- Marriage license (if applicable)
- Proof of registered relationship (if applicable)
- If you are applying with minor children:
- Their birth certificate or family book
- Parental permission form 1229
- Statutory declaration
- If you are applying with dependent children:
- Identity documents
- Proof of other relationships (if applicable)
- Proof of dependency
- Dependency form 47a
Eligibility Criteria for Graduate Work Stream Visa 485
You are eligible to apply for the graduate work stream visa 485 if:
- You are younger than 50 years of age.
- You held an eligible visa, i.e., a student visa.
- You had a student visa in the last 6 months.
- You meet the skills requirements.
- Your occupation is listed in the skills occupation list.
- You did not hold a previous 485 visa or a 476 visa as the main applicant.
Skills Required for a Graduate Work Stream Visa
You meet the skills requirements for a graduate stream visa 485:
- You have nominated one occupation on the medium and long-term strategic skills list (MLTSSL). You must nominate an occupation that belongs to the skills occupation list- you can find the full list here. You are allowed to make only one nomination at the time of application and you cannot change the occupation after you apply.
- You have a degree or trade qualification suitable for the nominated occupation. You must have adequate qualifications relevant to the nominated occupation. For example, you must have a degree in Education or a similar field if the nominated occupation is a teacher.
- You have a positive skill assessment by relevant authorities. For this visa stream, you must have a positive assessment done by authorities in charge of your occupation. You will find the appropriate authority next to each occupation in the list, and it’s your responsibility to contact the body in charge and set up your skill assessment.
Please note that the skill assessment must be valid at the time of application, most authorities put an expiry date on the report, but in case there isn’t one your assessment must be three years old at the time of application.
Study Requirements for Australia Graduate Work Visa
For your graduate stream 485 visa your degree or certificate must meet the study requirements for Australia:
- Your study course was registered as a CRICOS course.
- You finished all the course requirements.
- Your study program was taught in English.
- Your study program lasted at least two years or 92 weeks.
- You completed the courses in no less than 16 months.
- You had a study visa during the time you finished your courses.
If COVID concessions apply, online classes may be a part of your 92 weeks requirement.
Application Fees for a Graduate Work Stream
A graduate stream visa 485 will cost AUD1,680 for you. There are additional fees you have to pay for family members who apply with you for the visa- see visa cost.
How Long Can I Stay With a Graduate Work Stream Visa?
This is a temporary visa and you can stay for only 18 months. If you hold a passport from Hong Kong- you can stay for up to 5 years.
Processing Times for a Graduate Work Stream
Your graduate stream visa 485 will take 10 up to 9 months to get reviewed. Your application will be processed sooner if you submit all the required documents on time.
Applying With Family Members for a Graduate Work Stream 485 Visa
If you want to apply for a graduate stream visa with your family members, they must be a part of your close family unit:
- Your partner or your spouse.
- You or your partner’s minor children.
- You or your partner’s dependent adult children.
- Your or your partner’s grandchildren (minor or adult dependent).
Your family members may apply for this visa as subsequent entrants after you’ve received your visa, but they must pay the full fee.
Please note that your family members over 16 must meet the character requirements.
Can I Travel With a Graduate Stream Visa 485?
You can travel as you need to with a graduate stream visa provided that your visa is still valid.