VisaGuide » Australia Visa » Work Visa » Skilled Recognised Graduate Visa
Subclass 476 requirements, eligibility, application process and guidelines

Students who graduated in Australia have several opportunities if they want to continue staying there. A student visa won’t lead to permanent residency, you have to apply for a work visa such as a 476 visa. A skilled recognised graduate visa is a type of work visa that you can apply for if you are an engineering graduate.

Here you can read all the information you need on the 476 visa and if you are eligible to apply for one.

What Is a 476 Visa?

This is a specific work visa suitable for you if you are a recent graduate who got an engineering degree. A 476 visa allows you to work, live, and study in Australia for a time period, but to get this visa, you need to have a degree from a recognized institution.

Document Checklist for a 476 Visa

If you want to apply for a 476 visa, then you have to assemble several documents:

  • You are required to submit a copy of the information pages from your passport along with other identification documents. This may include an ID card if you have one, and any documents that prove your name change (if applicable).
  • Qualification documents. To prove that you have an engineering degree from an accredited institution, submit a copy of your transcripts and a letter of completion- including the completion dates for your courses.
  • Proof of English language proficiency. You must provide evidence that you have a proficient level of the language when you apply for this visa.
  • Proof of character.
  • Helping forms. Depending on who’s helping you submit either form 956 or form 956a.
  • If you are applying with your partner include:
    • Their identification
    • Marriage papers
    • Proof of relationship
  • For dependents under 18 include:
    • Birth certificate or family book
    • A parental permission form 1229
    • A statutory declaration

Who Can Apply for a 476 Visa?

You can apply for this visa if:

  • You are under 31 years of age.
  • You have an engineering degree from a recognised institution.
  • Your engineering degree is in one of the following disciplines:
    • Civil engineering
    • Structural engineering
    • Chemical engineering
    • Environmental engineering
    • Electrical and electronics engineering
    • Mechanical, production and plant engineering
    • Mining and material engineering
  • You have completed one of these degrees in the last two years:
    • Bachelors degree
    • Masters degree
    • Doctoral degree
    • Postgraduate degree

You are not eligible to apply for a visa 476 if you previously held a temporary graduate visa- 485 or a skilled graduate visa- 476 unless you held one as a family member of the main applicant.

Acceptable Universities for a 476 Visa

To qualify for a visa 476, you must have graduated from an institution that is accredited under the Washington Accord. The Washington Accord is an international agreement between several authoritative agencies worldwide in charge of accrediting engineering programs and technology universities. The Department of Home Affairs will also accept your visa application if you graduated from one of the universities listed below:

  • Catholic University of Argentina- Argentina.
  • Federal University of Minas Gerais- Brazil.
  • Universidad Catolica del Norte- Chile.
  • Catholic University of Chile- Chile.
  • University of Chile- Chile.
  • University of Concepcion- Chile.
  • HUT, Helsinki- Finland.
  • RWTH, Aachen- Germany.
  • Technical University of Berlin- Germany.
  • Technical University of Clausthal- Germany.
  • TU Bergakademie Freiberg- Germany.
  • University of Hannover- Germany.
  • University of Miskolc- Hungary.
  • Anna University, Chennai- India.
  • Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi- India.
  • Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore- India.
  • Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur- India.
  • Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad- India.
  • Amir Kabir University of Technology- Iran.
  • University of Tehran- Iran.
  • Beijing Normal University- People’s Republic of China.
  • Beijing Petroleum University- People’s Republic of China.
  • Beijing University of Chemical Technology- People’s Republic of China.
  • Beijing University of Technology- People’s Republic of China.
  • China University of Mining and Technology, Beijing- People’s Republic of China.
  • Guangzhou University- People’s Republic of China.
  • Shanghai University of Engineering Science- People’s Republic of China.
  • Shanghai Jiaotong University- People’s Republic of China.
  • Tongji University- People’s Republic of China.
  • Tsinghua University- People’s Republic of China.
  • University of Science and Technology, Beijing- People’s Republic of China.
  • University of the Philippines- Philippines.
  • Wroclaw University of Technology- Poland.
  • TU Kosice- Slovakia.
  • Lulea University of Technology- Sweden.
  • University of Dar es Salaam- Tanzania.

English Requirements for the 476 Visa

For your visa 476, you must provide evidence that you have completed one of the international English language tests with high scores as dictated by the Department of Home Affairs:


Test Points
IELTS (International English Language Testing System) 6 points at least with a minimum of 5 points for each test component.
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language- internet-based Test) 64 points in total with minimum points for each test component:

Listening: 4

Reading: 4

Writing: 14

Speaking: 14

PTE (Pearson Test of English Academic) 50 points in total with minimum points of 36 for each component.
OET (Occupational English Test) B for each test component.
Cambridge C1 Advanced test 169 points in total with a minimum of 154 in each test component.

You are not required to submit evidence of your language skills if you have a passport issued from one of the following countries:

  • The United Kingdom
  • The United States of America
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • The Republic of Ireland

How to Apply for a Skilled Recognized Graduate Visa 467?

You must apply online via ImmiAccount by submitting your scanned copies of the required documents. To have a finalised application, you must submit the visa payment otherwise your application won’t be processed.

You can apply for this visa either from Australia or offshore, but, you must be out of Australia when your visa is granted. You cannot have a bridging visa if you apply for your 476 visa while in Australia.

See how to prepare your documents for your visa application.

Skilled Recognized Visa Cost

The application fee for a visa 476 is AUD410. However, your visa may cost you more than this if you are bringing additional family members with you- for each family member you have to pay extra visa charges.

How Long Does 476 Visa Take to Process?

Your 476 visa will take at least a year to finish processing. Some applications may take longer than 17 months to process. If there is something missing from your application, the processing time for your visa will be prolonged, especially if you take a lot of time to answer any enquiries from the Department of Home Affairs.

How Long Is Visa 476 Valid for?

This visa is valid for 18 months from the date is issued. You cannot stay longer with a 476 visa.

Can I Extend My 476 Visa?

You cannot extend your 476 visa. Moreover, you cannot apply for another 476 visa, if you want to continue your stay in Australia you may be eligible for another sponsored visa or permanent visa.

Can I Bring My Family Members With Me on a 476 Visa?

You can include your family members if they are a part of your close family unit. A close family member includes your spouse/partner, your children or your partner’s children (minor or adult dependents), and you or your partner’s grandchildren.

Your family members can join you later on as subsequent entrants after you’ve received your visa and you are already in Australia.

Can I Travel With a Skilled Recognized Graduate Visa?

You can travel with your skilled graduate visa as long as your visa is valid.

How Can I Convert My 476 Visa to PR in Australia?

If you plan on staying longer in Australia after your 476 visa expires, you may apply for another work visa that is permanent. Depending on which visa you apply for, there will be different conditions you have to meet. For example, if you apply for a state nominated visa, you must have a nomination by an Australian state or territory.

Please keep in mind that, if your visa 476 visa expires while your new visa is being processed you need to have a bridging visa so you can remain legally in Australia.

Did you find this page helpful?
Yes No
Scroll to Top