Global talent visa-subclass 858 is a part of the Global Talent Independent Program for Australia. This program aims to make permanent residency in Australia easier for highly skilled persons.
To qualify for the global talent program, you must show that you are one of the best within your field of expertise. Moreover, you have to demonstrate that you will benefit Australia either economically or socially.
This program is generated by a limited number of available spots, and in 2020/2021 there are 15,000 places available. Recruiting agents are found in Australia, London, San Francisco, Singapore, and Washington DC. If you want to apply for this visa, you can contact any of the promoting agents here.
Who Is Eligible for a Global Talent Visa?
You are eligible to apply for a global talent visa if:
- You are globally acknowledged with a history of achievements in one of the following:
- A profession
- A sport
- The arts
- Academia and research
- You are nominated by an acceptable sponsor:
- An Australian national.
- An Australian permanent resident.
- An eligible New Zealand citizen.
- An Australian organisation with a widespread reputation in the same field as you.
- The top Australian group in your field (if applicable).
- You will be of great benefit to Australia in terms of:
- Economic improvement
- Social development
- Cultural richness
- International achievements in sports, arts or academia.
- You are one of the best in your field.
- You hold one of these visas if you apply from Australia:
- You must have had a standing reputation in this field for at last two years.
- If you hold or held a visa 494 or a subclass 491, you must have held that visa for at least three years before you apply for a visa 858.
- You must sign the Australian values statement.
Global Talent Visa Pathways
The global talent visa 858 has two pathways available:
- The Streamlined Global Talent Visa Program Pathway. This visa pathway is for applicants who have skills in identified priority sectors and have submitted an expression of interest (EOI).
- The Distinguished Talent Pathway. This pathway is for applicants in other sectors.
If you are applying for the streamlined pathway program, make sure you have your EOI otherwise you cannot submit a valid visa application.
Global Talent Visa Requirements
You need to prepare the documents listed below for your global talent visa:
- You must submit a copy of your passport pages showing your details and passport information.
- A national ID card. If you currently have an ID, then submit a copy of your national card.
- Records of your new name. If for some reason you changed your name, provide documents proving your name change; such as a marriage certificate or divorce certificate.
- Relationship documents. Provide divorce papers, death certificates, separation records or any statutory declarations.
- Achievement documents. This can include any relevant qualifications, awards, certificates and supporting statements from government agencies or professional bodies.
- Proof you will especially benefit Australia. This will be required if you are younger than 18 or older than 55 years.
- A nomination form 1000. Make sure the form is completed and you attach relevant supporting documents.
- A statement of support from your nominator.
- Proof of self-dependence. You must provide evidence that you can support and establish yourself within your field while you are in Australia. You cannot include income from other sources (out of your field).
- Character documents.
- English language documents. You must submit proof that you have a functional level of the English language.
- Expression of interest (if applicable).
- For your partner please include:
- Identity documents and photo identification.
- Marriage certificate.
- Proof of relationship.
- For dependents younger than 18 please include:
- Copies of birth certificates.
- Family book with both parents’ names (alternative to the birth certificate).
- Adoption papers (if applicable).
- Parental consent declaration.
- For dependents over 18 please include:
- Identity documents.
- Documents about other relationships (if applicable).
- Proof of dependency.
- Character documents.
- Include these forms:
How Do You Get a Global Talent Visa for Australia?
You can get a global talent visa for Australia if:
- You have a nominator.
- You applied for the visa online.
You Have a Nominator
To apply for visa 858, you must first be nominated by an eligible person. Your sponsor must apply for your nomination after which they will receive a transaction reference number.
You Applied for the Visa Online
After you are nominated, then you have to apply online for the global talent visa. You must apply via the ImmiAccount by attaching your scanned and translated documents. Please note that you need the transaction reference number from your sponsor when you lodge your application.
How Much Does the Global Talent Visa Cost?
The global talent visa costs AUD4,110. However, you must pay an additional charge for any family member over 18 who cannot prove they have a functional level of English. The second instalment fee for your family members is AUD4,890.
You are also required to pay an extra fee for each additional applicant that applies with you. You can see the full details on visa fees here.
Global Talent Visa Australia Processing Times
Here are the global talent visa Australia processing times for each pathway:
|Global Talent Pathway||2 up to 3 months|
|Distinguished Talent Pathway||1 and a half year up to two years|
Global Talent Visa Australia Occupation List
Your occupation must belong to one of the 10 specified sectors to be eligible for the global talent visa:
- Agri-food and AgTech
- Health Industries
- Defence, Advanced Manufacturing and Space
- Circular Economy
- Infrastructure and Tourism
- Financial Services and FinTech
Your occupation must make at least as much as the high income threshold which as of now is AUD153,600
Can I Bring My Family Members With Me on a Visa 858?
If your family members belong to your close family unit, you can bring them with you:
- Your spouse or de facto partner.
- Your minor child or your partner’s child.
- Your adult dependent child who is not married or in a relationship.
- Your partner’s adult dependent child who is not married or in a relationship.
In case you are under 18 years old when you apply for a global talent visa, you can include:
- A parent
- Members of the close family unit of that parent
Your family members have to meet the health requirements, sometimes, even family members who don’t apply with you for the visa. Additionally, any family member over 16 must meet the character requirements.
Travelling With a Global Talent Visa
After five years you must apply for a resident return visa, so you can travel freely in and out of the country. A resident return visa is granted only to extend the travel condition upon your global talent visa 858. If you leave the country after your travel facility expires, you cannot re-enter as a permanent resident.
If You Are a New Zealand Citizen
If you hold a valid New Zealand passport, when you enter Australia it’s highly recommended at the border you let the officer know that you possess a global talent visa-858. In case you don’t tell them you already have an 858 visa, you may be granted the special visa 444 since NZ citizens are granted visa 444 when they enter Australia automatically.
Distinguished Talent Visa 124
On February 27 of 2021, visa 124 became the global talent visa 858. Now, visa 124 is no longer available and applications are not open for that visa, you must apply for a global talent visa if you wanted a distinguished talent visa.